American Express offer: $100 off $500+ Cruise Lines

izmeeh

Not sure what else if anything can be done this late in the game. Maybe you should just book another cruise and put the $500 down for a deposit [emoji3].

That gives me a great idea if all else fails and no other option can be found;

book a solo cruise with $50 deposit whether you intend to go or not. Even if you never go and forfeit the $50, you get $100 from Amex, so you are up $50 in that scenario.

Remember though the OFFER for the $100 back is good through December, we have time to find this money...

Do you have insurance? Can you add the insurance? Even if you have 3rd party insurance is Carnivals cheap enough to consider to claim the $500?

Is it too late to get through them at this point?

What do excursions get charged as if you book and pay before boarding ship?

That gives me a great idea if all else fails and no other option can be found;

book a solo cruise with $50 deposit whether you intend to go or not. Even if you never go and forfeit the $50, you get $100 from Amex, so you are up $50 in that scenario.

Remember though the OFFER for the $100 back is good through December, we have time to find this money...

Except when you book solo, you pay double deposit [emoji35]

Not sure where you are departing from but you COULD look to book a transport ticket (that you wouldn't necessarily use). for example; a single person transport ticket booked through CCL from Fort lauderdale airport to port of miami is $31.

This might be the only time I'd suggest buying FTTF if it is $50 <shrug>

Not sure where you are departing from but you COULD look to book a transport ticket (that you wouldn't necessarily use). for example; a single person transport ticket booked through CCL from Fort lauderdale airport to port of miami is $31.

Probably too late for FTTF since the cruise is so soon, but both of those are Excursions and I don’t think would show as a reservation.

We charged $472 today. I then spoke with Amex and they verified if I spend another $28, the offer will be triggered and we will get the credit.

My question ... my cruise is fully paid off including grats and I do not have another booked or going to be booked soon that will need a payment. Does anyone know of any other way to make an additional charge that will trigger the deal ? I called Carnival reservations tonight to see if I could purchase $30 OBC. They said the only things they can charge thru reservations are booking, gratuities, and insurance. They said all other purchases must be made through Funshops online. Which as I understand it will not trigger the deal ?? Ideas anyone ?

Did you make any payments on this cruise with another credit card? I did one time and my PVP credited th other card and charged my AMX.

Angela, what ship and what category (number/letter) cabin do you have now?

Carnival Ecstasy category 1A. It was super last minute, we just booked this cruise Friday (yesterday) about 1:30. The rate was too good to pass up !! But we both had plans last night and couldn't pack, so it's 9:30pm and we're still packing. We are trying to leave our house no later than 8am tomorrow morning. LOLOLOL !!

I think I may have come up with a solution ... my father is going on a cruise in February. He's not sure if he has made final payment yet, but he does know he hasn't paid gratuities yet. So I'm going to pay $30 toward his cruise and he's going to give me cash. That should work ?! Hopefully.

Edited by angela12345

If we are taking a Carnival cruise in March and we must spend $500 to get the $100 credit, would it be a good strategy to put more than a deposit down now since the offer expires on 12/31/17?

We have a few Amex cards that we could use to get the offer.

thanks

If we are taking a Carnival cruise in March and we must spend $500 to get the $100 credit, would it be a good strategy to put more than a deposit down now since the offer expires on 12/31/17?

We have a few Amex cards that we could use to get the offer.

thanks

We put $500 on each of our AMEX cards even though our deposit was $400. We each got the $100 credit. I don't know why you wouldn't unless you are hoping the price will go down after final payment and you are not booked under Early Saver.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if it is possible to combine this offer with getting our cruise through Costco? Does the purchase need to be made directly with Carnival? Can I get the credit if I buy the drink package with my amex through Carnival directly?

Does anyone know if it is possible to combine this offer with getting our cruise through Costco? Does the purchase need to be made directly with Carnival? Can I get the credit if I buy the drink package with my amex through Carnival directly?

It will not work for anything else besides a charge that shows as Carnival Reservations so Fun Shop purchases will not be eligible. If your TA uses your card directly with Carnival then it should work. If they use it to pay the agency and the agency pays Carnival, then no. I would ask them how they do it.

Actually, it will not work directly with Costco because their travel agency does not accept AMEX! I don't know if anyone ever tried buying on board credit (OBC) with Carnival to see if it qualifies for this offer, but that is a possibility for using it to buy the drink package. I can tell you from personal experience (about 30 minutes ago) that it works on Holland America, it showed up as Holland America Res.

I was just coming here to remind people that the offer is expiring on the 31st. I paid off my June cruise today so AMEX would pay 20% of it for me (I have a bunch of AMEX cards with the offer). I had my TA buy some OBC on the last card to get over $500 and make sure I got the $100 back.

Actually, it will not work directly with Costco because their travel agency does not accept AMEX! I don't know if anyone ever tried buying on board credit (OBC) with Carnival to see if it qualifies for this offer, but that is a possibility for using it to buy the drink package. I can tell you from personal experience (about 30 minutes ago) that it works on Holland America, it showed up as Holland America Res.

I was just coming here to remind people that the offer is expiring on the 31st. I paid off my June cruise today so AMEX would pay 20% of it for me (I have a bunch of AMEX cards with the offer). I had my TA buy some OBC on the last card to get over $500 and make sure I got the $100 back.

Cruise Cash shows as a Fun Shop purchase and won’t work on its own. It has to be specifically marked Reservations. Now maybe if you did it by phone and they lumped it all into part of your booking and the PVP or CSR made it all one charge, then I don’t see why it wouldn’t as long as it codes it as a reservation.

All I know is when I buy internet, drink packages, or Cruise Cash online it shows up differently.

The costco credit card is Amex, so their travel agency certainly does accept it. Just paid off my cruise and got the $100 credit.
Costco switched to Visa last year (from Citi) and no longer accepts AMEX. Check your card if you don't believe me.

I just tried a test booking on their website since I wanted to make sure I wasn't confused about what they take. You'll see the screen shot attached which says Visa and Mastercard only. And I just tried putting in an AMEX and got an error "The accepted forms of payment are Visa and MasterCard®. Please try again using one of these credit cards."

So I'm really confused how you managed to use your AMEX card there.

1021423890_CostcoTravelCreditCards.JPG.b9da920ae059478839a2474a79db5601.JPG

Edited by MisterBill99

Cruise Cash shows as a Fun Shop purchase and won’t work on its own. It has to be specifically marked Reservations. Now maybe if you did it by phone and they lumped it all into part of your booking and the PVP or CSR made it all one charge, then I don’t see why it wouldn’t as long as it codes it as a reservation.

That's too bad. As I said, on HAL it comes thru as reservations and works with the AMEX offer, even when purchased by itself. In fact, I don't think it can be paid for as part of the cruise payment.

I just tried a test booking on their website since I wanted to make sure I wasn't confused about what they take. You'll see the screen shot attached which says Visa and Mastercard only. And I just tried putting in an AMEX and got an error "The accepted forms of payment are Visa and MasterCard®. Please try again using one of these credit cards."

For the last few years, MC had a similar incentive program with a big online TA. OBC was $50 and the incentive offer usually ran from Jan 1 to Feb 28. So keep an eye out.

For the last few years, MC had a similar incentive program with a big online TA. OBC is $50 and the incentive offer usually runs from Jan 1 to Feb 28. So keep an eye out.

I've never heard of that. What site would it be posted on (assuming it's not just on the TA's site, which you can't post here)? Not that I have many Mastercards left, most are Visa.

I've never heard of that. What site would it be posted on? Not that I have many Mastercards left, most are Visa.

Unfortunately, we are not allowed to name TA on CC but it is a very well known national online TA. You also see its commercials on TV from time to time. Do a Google search next month and you will probably find it.

I have 2 bookngs where the gratuities combined come to $540. Would this qualify for the AE deal? I think i read that gratuities fall under the reservation category. Thought?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm not sure. Worst case you charge them and if it doesn't work, get them refunded. You will know within a few minutes if it worked because you'll get an email from Amex.