Black Tie dress code

danielundecided

I'm just glad I'm not a man and have to worry about what to wear [emoji102] happy Christmas all, my next cruise is in 4 days and I haven't even contemplated packing other than the fact I've got two bottles of champagne to shove in the case [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I take it you're having a laugh there. It couldn't be easier, 4 Formal Nights and only one suit needed but yet there are countless posts about what to wear. To be honest I really can't see what the problem is.

I'm just glad I'm not a man and have to worry about what to wear [emoji102] happy Christmas all, my next cruise is in 4 days and I haven't even contemplated packing other than the fact I've got two bottles of champagne to shove in the case [emoji4]

Pleased to see you have got your prorities right...:D:D

Have a good time!

In my opinion,a dark tie not black would look better. But really since you can buy a tux suit for £50, leaving it to sit in the cupboard for most of the year isn't really an issue.

I know! I know! It sounds ridiculous. I just don't like the look of the tuxedo/bow tie combo and that's why I was on about wearing a normal suit. How much I wear it isn't an issue, just more about if I'm comfortable and confident wearing it.

Dan

I think I'm like many women and think that men look great in a DJ. It looks much better on a formal night than a dark suit IMO. Think James Bond / Daniel Craig

You have overlooked a technicality which is important; national dress! I think you will find the full kilt formal attire will outdo everything else and is apparently very comfortable. I am obviously not suggesting that this is for the original poster.

Regards John.

I am confused as to why 'black tie' is such a dreadful thing to wear.

Yes, my husband likes taking it off at the end of the evening (he gets very hot) but equally he loves wearing it.

It is only a few evenings, not every night; there are cruise lines that don't require black tie on any night so why choose one that does require it if you don't want to wear it, and last but not least, MEN LOOK STUNNING IN BLACK TIE!! END OF.

Wear it and enjoy all the women thinking you look great!!

HAPPY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!! 😄😄🎄🎁

Sent from my Sony Z1 Compact.

Your cruise, your choice. However...a black bow tie and a normal suit?

In my opinion,a dark tie not black would look better. But really since you can buy a tux suit for £50, leaving it to sit in the cupboard for most of the year isn't really an issue.

Trouble is a £50 tux looks like a £50 tux. Better to wear a dark suit than one that would shout "cheap"

And Winston Churchill wore bow ties exclusively for years.... spotted ones at that.

DAVID

Yes, my husband likes taking it off at the end of the evening (he gets very hot) but equally he loves wearing it.

It is only a few evenings, not every night; there are cruise lines that don't require black tie on any night so why choose one that does require it if you don't want to wear it, and last but not least, MEN LOOK STUNNING IN BLACK TIE!! END OF.

HAPPY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!! [emoji1][emoji1][emoji319][emoji320]

I just don't like it, just as you may/may not like to ride scary roller coasters but someone else might have the opposite view. Whatever floats your boat!

As for the cruise lines, I just find that we like the P&O experience and it's not exactly that I'm refusing to go along with formal full stop, I would just rather be wearing something I am more confident in and wanted to see what other people's views are on it.

Trouble is a £50 tux looks like a £50 tux. Better to wear a dark suit than one that would shout "cheap"

And Winston Churchill wore bow ties exclusively for years.... spotted ones at that.

DAVID

If I wanted to get a tux I would definitely go for a "nice" one but the thing is I don't particularly want to get one. I don't really like them.

The baseline I think everyone is noticing is that I'm a bit awkward!

Merry Christmas to you all! :--)

Dan

Edited by danielundecided

You have overlooked a technicality which is important; national dress! I think you will find the full kilt formal attire will outdo everything else and is apparently very comfortable. I am obviously not suggesting that this is for the original poster.

Regards John.

Nor is it something my husband feels happy wearing as he's a Sassenach - but he looks good in his DJ

Edited by tartanexile81

daniaelundesided

My point was what did you do previously Broth?

I'd worn dinner jackets previously however my old one does not fit me anymore, and as I do not particularly like them I wanted to know if I should be going out to buy another one, or if I can wear a normal suit in replacement.

Dan

Danialundecided

I wear Scottish National Dress for the Formal nights, I would certainly not look down on you for wearing a nice Dark Suit if that is what you feel most comfortable in, I would however wear a smart dark tie rather than a bow tie.

I know what you mean about a Dinner Suit, on our first cruise I wore a Dinner Suit and I did not think it suited me at all.

I felt very self conscious on my next cruise formal night and thought I stuck out like a sore thumb wearing National Dress but I received a number of compliments as to my dress and that settled me down.

I would like to thank you for conforming with Formal Nights there are those who don't .

HAPPY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!! [emoji1][emoji1][emoji319][emoji320]

Not sure anyone is saying that. The debate is about a tux, DJ of black suit. Nobody is arguing about whether they should wear black tie.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not sure anyone is saying that. The debate is about a tux, DJ of black suit. Nobody is arguing about whether they should wear black tie.

You are correct, it is indeed about different outfits.

What I cannot understand is why there is a debate about that.

'Black Tie' consists of: a dress shirt, dress trousers, dress shoes, a bow tie, sometimes a cumberbund, and a black or white jacket known as a 'tux'.

It is not a 'suit' of any kind, black or otherwise.

As I've mentioned, all men, in IMHO, look stunning in it and why on earth wouldn't a man want to do that. Us women get most of the comments on how stunning we look, surely it's nice when men can get such comments as well.

Happy Christmas and have a fantastic day. :)

'Black Tie' consists of: a dress shirt, dress trousers, dress shoes, a bow tie, sometimes a cumberbund, and a black or white jacket known as a 'tux'.

As I've mentioned, all men, in IMHO, look stunning in it and why on earth wouldn't a man want to do that. Us women get most of the comments on how stunning we look, surely it's nice when men can get such comments as well.

Fair point. Have a great Christmas.

We can probably all agree that this is what "real black tie" (for want of a better phrase) consists of. The debate arises because P&O use the phrase "black tie" to describe a dress code that they define as being satisfied by either "real black tie" or a suit.

We can probably all agree that this is what "real black tie" (for want of a better phrase) consists of. The debate arises because P&O use the phrase "black tie" to describe a dress code that they define as being satisfied by either "real black tie" or a suit.

Exactly Teddy, it is a strictly adhered to code which is known as "Black Tie" dress.

The original poster asked what is the norm for men on black tie nights. We may safely assume he was talking about nights on a P&O cruise which are billed as such. Whenever we refer to what the cruise line describes as permissible in their information or what we have observed the majority of men are perceived to be wearing it seems to precipitate a number of posters becoming quite agitated and suggesting what everybody should be wearing in their opinion, which is of course correct in every way.

Regards John

Dave has just returned from a xmas cruise on Ventura with 3 formal nights out of 12. Over 90% of men wore dinner jackets and the rest dark suits. I took my navy blue suit and 2 shirts, baby blue stripe and baby pink stripe. I wore a dark/light blue tie with the blue shirt and a bright santa tie with the pink shirt on xmas day. Were there any comments? no! So wear what you like as long as it is within the code as specified by P&O.

We had 8 formal nights on Aurora last winter so I took my excellent M&S dinner suit which has the useful property of being washable so I could rinse the trousers a few times.

ps - I would say an ordinary tie looks better with a normal suit jacket but don't wear a black one as it looks as if you are going to a funeral.

pps - if you wear a cummerbund don't wear a red one, you will be mistaken for a circus ringmaster :D

pps - if you wear a cummerbund don't wear a red one, you will be mistaken for a circus ringmaster :D

Aha!

I'm a serious thank you, I've sussed out what I'm going to do - I'm dressing for myself (within the rules, obviously) as I shouldn't be being as silly to stress about what I'm going to wear on holiday.

Dan

With decreasing baggage allowances I wonder whether there is now much point in formal nights. A tuxedo worn with incorrect shoes looks wrong and a dark suit with a bow tie is in my opinion akin to wearing a dark suit with trainers. On top of that there are the inevitable other items of clothing and footwear required for formal evenings meaning it is increasingly difficult to keep within airline baggage allowances. Indeed many people at the first opportunity ditch their dinner jackets as soon as they leave the dining room as the alternative of being overdressed in a nightclub or crowded theatre is just too uncomfortable. How many men do you see discarding jackets over the backs of chairs outside of the dining room and I can tell from experience the number of people wearing formal clothes in the buffet is on the rise. What's the point?

I can't help feeling that it is only a matter of time before formal evenings will be dropped altogether.

I have long ditched wearing tuxedos and funerial dark suits and prefer to opt for garments that are more comfortable. Smart clothing for many was obligatory when in work but in retirement I prefer to take the smart casual route.

So to any poster that is worried about what to wear there are plenty of people, although the minority, who will opt for smart casual attire and simply use the buffet on formal evenings where the dress code is more relaxed.