Black Tie dress code

danielundecided

I don't disagree with most of what you say, but I think your comment about wearing a dark suit with a bow tie is akin to wearing trainers, a bit snobbish. Should someone on their first cruise (and not sure whether they will like it) go out and by a tuxedo? As we've ascertained on this thread, when we talk about 'black tie nights' on P&O, we are talking about P&O's interpretation on what black tie consists of.

I don't know why there should be any snobbishness about dress, as long as people aren't in shorts and t shirts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't know why there should be any snobbishness about dress, as long as people aren't in shorts and t shirts.

Spot on Chris ,also if someone fancy's a bite to eat in the buffet dressed up why not ?

Maybe they have plans to go to the Metro bar for example which you have to dress to the dress code of that night.

Should we go dress down just to go in the buffet for a cuppa and a biscuit, then go get togged up again just to go up to that bar?

As you say Chris "As long as people aren't in shorts and t shirts", or swim trunks for evening wear, I have no problems what people wear for that evening .

Edited by kalos

I'm glad someone agrees with me on this. I'm in Manchester and there's a story about two women shopping in a local Tesco in their pyjamas. I do find that a bit 'off', but I don't even pay attention to what type of suit people are wearing ah dinner. If I walked past someone on my way to dinner in a suit and found that someone looked back at me in disdain......I'd find that really bizarre.

With decreasing baggage allowances I wonder whether there is now much point in formal nights. A tuxedo worn with incorrect shoes looks wrong and a dark suit with a bow tie is in my opinion akin to wearing a dark suit with trainers. On top of that there are the inevitable other items of clothing and footwear required for formal evenings meaning it is increasingly difficult to keep within airline baggage allowances. Indeed many people at the first opportunity ditch their dinner jackets as soon as they leave the dining room as the alternative of being overdressed in a nightclub or crowded theatre is just too uncomfortable. How many men do you see discarding jackets over the backs of chairs outside of the dining room and I can tell from experience the number of people wearing formal clothes in the buffet is on the rise. What's the point?

I can't help feeling that it is only a matter of time before formal evenings will be dropped altogether.

I have long ditched wearing tuxedos and funerial dark suits and prefer to opt for garments that are more comfortable. Smart clothing for many was obligatory when in work but in retirement I prefer to take the smart casual route.

So to any poster that is worried about what to wear there are plenty of people, although the minority, who will opt for smart casual attire and simply use the buffet on formal evenings where the dress code is more relaxed.

The majority of P&O cruises start from Southampton so luggage allowance does not come in to it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Spot on Chris ,also if someone fancy's a bite to eat in the buffet dressed up why not ?

Maybe they have plans to go to the Metro bar for example which you have to dress to the dress code of that night.

Should we go dress down just to go in the buffet for a cuppa and a biscuit, then go get togged up again just to go up to that bar?

As you say Chris "As long as people aren't in shorts and t shirts", or swim trunks for evening wear, I have no problems what people wear for that evening .

Agree that the buffet is fine if you do not wish to dress up on formal nights. Interestingly on our last Arcadia cruise, we/I used it twice and the staff outnumbered the cruisers on both occasions.

You can venture anywhere in your tuxedo on formal nights, I went to the gym. Yes my daughter is of an age where she needs supervising by parent in the gym. After first sitting we returned to cabin she donned cycling shorts and trainers etc. I stayed as I was. In we went, and just after first sitting, it should be noted that a lot of young really muscular men turn up for sessions. I believe they are crew they don't look like passengers!. Problem is that daughter is also of an age where she wants to make it appear that I am not with her. You have been warned.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

I don't disagree with most of what you say, but I think your comment about wearing a dark suit with a bow tie is akin to wearing trainers, a bit snobbish. Should someone on their first cruise (and not sure whether they will like it) go out and by a tuxedo? As we've ascertained on this thread, when we talk about 'black tie nights' on P&O, we are talking about P&O's interpretation on what black tie consists of.

Chris. The last thing anyone could say about me is "snobbish". Remember I am the one who is advocating smart casual which is hardly the attire of a snob.

In answer to another poster who stated most P&O cruises are from the UK,. while that is possibly correct, there are fly cruises which are not only around Europe but in the Far East and Australasia for example and various legs of World cruises which require flights and baggage restrictions.

Chris. The last thing anyone could say about me is "snobbish". Remember I am the one who is advocating smart casual which is hardly the attire of a snob.

In answer to another poster who stated most P&O cruises are from the UK,. while that is possibly correct, there are fly cruises which are not only around Europe but in the Far East and Australasia for example and various legs of World cruises which require flights and baggage restrictions.

Fair enough Whoops. I just think the comparison you made was a bit off.

My husband normally wears his kilt. Would that still be acceptable on Black and white night. He certainly can't take a suit as well and doesn't have a tux.

Edited by Floflegs

pps - if you wear a cummerbund don't wear a red one, you will be mistaken for a circus ringmaster :D

That's your opinion, and most people I travel with have never said that. Must remember that next time though on my next MSC and Celebrity sailing where I take and wear both red and black bow ties and cummerbund.

The majority of P&O cruises start from Southampton so luggage allowance does not come in to it.

Luggage allowance does come into if you fly like we do from Manchester to Southampton. Not everyone is with easy access to Southampton you know. Edited by peteukmcr

Luggage allowance does come into if you fly like we do from Manchester to Southampton. Not everyone is with easy access to Southampton you know.

I live in Newcastle and travel by car, don't come across that many people who fly.

My husband normally wears his kilt. Would that still be acceptable on Black and white night. He certainly can't take a suit as well and doesn't have a tux.

Thee are always a few men in kilts on formal evenings.

But is a coloured kilt acceptable on black and white night?

We normally travel on other lines that don't have black and white night.

Yes I've definitely seen kilts on B&W night. You also see ladies who're not wearing black and white - it's just a theme and although well upheld, it's never 100%.

Intercruises, P&O's official coach transfer service, actually have a limit of two medium-sized suitcases per person if I remember correctly.

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Intercruises, P&O's official coach transfer service, actually have a limit of two medium-sized suitcases per person if I remember correctly.

Dan

You can get a massive amount of stuff in 4 cases. We have never taken more than 3, even for a 28 night cruise.

As I've mentioned, all men, in IMHO, look stunning in it :)

Stunning?. Guys come in all shapes and sizes and I certainly wouldn't use that expression for the majority. For short, fat men particularly there are many dress styles more flattering than a tux.

David

Stunning?. Guys come in all shapes and sizes and I certainly wouldn't use that expression for the majority. For short, fat men particularly there are many dress styles more flattering than a tux.

David

There are times I am stuck for words, and this is one of them.

But is a coloured kilt acceptable on black and white night?

We normally travel on other lines that don't have black and white night.

Yes it would be the "Theme" is not followed in the same way as the "Black Tie" element. Some ladies have been known to do the Chris de Burgh thing.

Regards John

David

Are we to infer you only find a small select minority of tall, thin guys stunning in a tuxedo David?

Lol John

I wouldn't say I find any guy stunning but there is a certain build that lends itself more, who are certainly tall and not paunchy.

Just my opinion, but come on you've got to laugh sometime when entering the MD.

DAVID

I live in Newcastle and travel by car, don't come across that many people who fly.

Well you wouldn't by driving, but I can assure you Southampton airport is busy, busy, busy on the days cruise ships arrive and depart. Very funny story actually of one RCI top level cruiser (Pinnacle it's called on that line) who is used to being able to get preferential treatment on board with staff fawning all over them, turning up at Southampton airport on the day of disembarkation to discover long lines for check in and bag drop. He did no more than try and push into the front announcing 'I'm Pinnacle' to which several people tactfully advised him that it doesn't have any status in a Flybe check in line! :D

However, it is a consideration when having to 'purchase' another checked bag at a cost of approximately 50% of the original flight to ensure you have room for your formal attire. I've had to do it on several occasions.

Driving is not an option for me, nor is rail due to the time needed really, but due to the volume of baggage needed for a 15 night TA in October that is visiting cold and hot climates, we will be on the train because I don't intend this time to give Flybe the money they charge for extra bags. Even easyJet don't charge as much.

Well you wouldn't by driving, but I can assure you Southampton airport is busy, busy, busy on the days cruise ships arrive and depart. Very funny story actually of one RCI top level cruiser (Pinnacle it's called on that line) who is used to being able to get preferential treatment on board with staff fawning all over them, turning up at Southampton airport on the day of disembarkation to discover long lines for check in and bag drop. He did no more than try and push into the front announcing 'I'm Pinnacle' to which several people tactfully advised him that it doesn't have any status in a Flybe check in line! :D

However, it is a consideration when having to 'purchase' another checked bag at a cost of approximately 50% of the original flight to ensure you have room for your formal attire. I've had to do it on several occasions.

Driving is not an option for me, nor is rail due to the time needed really, but due to the volume of baggage needed for a 15 night TA in October that is visiting cold and hot climates, we will be on the train because I don't intend this time to give Flybe the money they charge for extra bags. Even easyJet don't charge as much.

When I say come across I mean by talking to them on the ship. As it happens we have flown down once before I started to use my scooter. Now it is just too much hassle.

In Oct/Nov 2015, we did a 25 day(USA/Canada) and 12 day (Canaries) cruise on Aurora/Oriana. I took a dark grey suit for BW/Formal nights, due luggage restriction, Sydney to Heathrow. I was surprised at the percentile wearing of tuxedos/dinner suits in the MDR on the formal nights, I reckon it was 95%. Only saw a handful of male pax dressed in suits like me.

Certainly the Brits do dress well on the P&O ships, come formal time. I am impressed.

• 2 weeks later...

Black suit and bow tie, regardless of colour, seems to be the norm and that's all I've ever taken. On a slightly different note, do they still have those awful "jacket required" nights? I always found them rather pointless.