Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

Shots, the only thing I would add to the wise words already posted is that if time allows then it really magnifies the experience if you can add on some pre and apres cruise experience in both ports. It isn't just being able to relax for a day or two and starting the cruise refreshed rather than spending a cruise day or to recovering and the last day or two of the cruise isn't really so much an anticlimax "winding down" but anticipation of a bit more to look forward to. Everything is just more relaxed and at a pace you set.

It is simply you're coming all this distance and it seems a shame not maximise the experience.

Peronally I think the best end ports for a first Med cruise are Rome and Athens.

Many of us will be happy to help with the different ports.

Great news, Shots! And definitely add time pre/post. The Med is gorgeous and you'll have a great time on SS. Rome and Athens are great; agree with Jeff there. Our first was Rome to Barcelona back in 2006 but we didn't have the time to stay pre/post. We've made up for it since.

Sophia, bummer about your lunch date. I'm off to work shortly so I can sympathize. I hope your weekend is OK regardless; thinking about you and sending good vibes.

Spins, yummy news about the wine in Taormina. Love the volcanic smoky taste of a good Nero d'Avola.

Sophia,

100% agree with you. Travel agents can offer so much more than booking direct thru the cruise line. If we could get an email address for Shots we could refer off this board.

On another note I did book excursions yesterday, I do want to go to some places with the Silversea booking. I am also looking into a wine tasting in Taormina.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

All sounds good....I'll do my usual Royal wave to you from the pool deck...😉🍸

Sad Soapy ..... but more wine for you!

Have to agree with JP spins. I reckon this is one occaision where a bit of independant research might win and try and get a tasting with an upmarket wine dealer/bar. Some of the young fresh whites are really crispy and unique. I love Taormina and my regret is that I have never been there overnight when I think it'd be unique.

The only other thought Shots is if you decide to add days buffer each end then depending on your experience, miles pots, loyalty cards etc, and negotiating skills, it may be worthwhile looking at letting the TA book the cruise and you do the travel and hotels etc. It's worthwhile you doing a dry run with hotels and flights and then asking your TA to replicate what you did to see whether they can improve it.

Thanks Jeffers....I'm trying 🍷

With regard to the pre and post voyage experience......this will depend on if any included flights are involved as SS tend to fly guests in on the same day the cruise departs....depending on departure times.

I've never used SS air so can't compare. My TA always books my air travel for the day before embarkation and if travelling together we enjoy an evening in a good hotel...Hic!

Again this is all food for thought for Shots and hopefully we will be able to help her plan.

Post cruise this year we are all staying in Venice whilst Spins will still languish on board.....😩

S😊

Oh, Shots, what wonderful news!! I'm sure your DH will enjoy the cruise more than he envisioned, especially because he will find out he can establish his own pace within such a cordial, service environment.

I definitely agree you should not arrive the day of the cruise. Not only because of jet lag, but also to minimize any inconvenience, like delayed flights, misplaced luggage, etc. A lady in our last cruise went two days without her suitcases until they caught up with her.... and I understand she was using SS flights. Things happen. The most important factor, however, is having the opportunity to experience two marvelous cities of our civilization.

Spins, lovely photos of Taormina. I've been there only once as a cruise stop and would love to return. How wonderful that you and MissS will be enjoying a September cruise together!

I would love recommendations referrals planning advice.

We will most definitely be planning a few days pre and post cruise. Not sure which itineraries we will pick since SA hasn't released 2019. However, Santorini and Rome, and Naples are on the most desired list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Camillus,

Yes Taormina scenery is breathtaking but the crowds are horrendous. I hope this time since its Late September it will be less crowded.

It will be nice to see Ms. Sophia's lovely face and royal wave again!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Greetings Coolers! Sun to start the day. I'll take it!

Spins....your pictures are awesome! Thanks for sharing them. Have not been to that port and it looks like a wonderful place to visit! Such fun for you and Miss S. to share the sea again!

Shots.....So exciting to be planning another adventure! I don't have anything to suggest. I do have a wonderful quote to share though. “Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta. According to wikipedia, Ibn Battuta was was a medieval Moroccan traveller and scholar, who is widely recognised as one of the greatest travellers of all time. He is known for his extensive travels, accounts of which were published in his Travels (Rihla). Over a period of thirty years, Ibn Battuta visited most of the known Islamic world as well as many non-Muslim lands. His journeys included trips to North Africa, the Horn of Africa, West Africa, the Middle East, India, Central Asia, Southeast Asia and China.

Sorry about your missed lunch Miss S! Enjoy your chili!

Have a great day all!

Hi again, here is a link to my photos of the Med........plenty of them are in Santorini:D

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cruiseronly/albums/72157629916076744/with/7278825934/

I forgot all about those to be honest with you.........I used to take pictures on every cruise but I don't anymore.

Hope you enjoy looking at them. We went to Naples, Sicily, Santorini, Mykonos, Rhodes, Athens and Ephesus, Turkey. I have

to say, Ephesus was AWESOME:)

Edited by Lois R

Lois, thank you for sharing your cruise photos with us....looks like you had a great time!

Lovely evening here with clear blue skies......good for the offspring as they've gone to see an open air concert...l was invited but no way am l going to stand up for hours....😳😉

S ☺️

Hi Sophia, happy to share:)

So, do you live in England too? I have a couple of friends I met years ago on a cruise who live in London, although we have

lost touch........we cruised together twice before.

Oh,I really want to visit all of that area.........England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales.....seems like there are not a lot of cruises

that do that kind of itinerary and I haven't even thought about a land trip......:eek:

Is it just me, but is anyone else finding Glastonbury rubbish this year.

All these Brirish toddlers in diapers pretending to be "from the hood" in Jamaica shouting in incomprehensible patois "rap" at the audience.

Where's the melodies and stuff you can sing along with?

Good grief. :')

Jeff, I had to google Glastonberry, sorry for my ignorance of British music fests. I hardly recognized any names in the line-up, except Barry Gibbs, Katie Perry, Carole King... Don't feel bad, I used to follow Eurovisión Festival since the 60's, when Mireille Mathieu won. Wouldn't even know if it even exists now...

Hi again, here is a link to my photos of the Med........plenty of them are in Santorini:D

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cruiseronly/albums/72157629916076744/with/7278825934/

I forgot all about those to be honest with you.........I used to take pictures on every cruise but I don't anymore.

Hope you enjoy looking at them. We went to Naples, Sicily, Santorini, Mykonos, Rhodes, Athens and Ephesus, Turkey. I have

to say, Ephesus was AWESOME:)

Lois, we really enjoyed your pictures. Beautiful! Thank you for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

If you widen it out you will see people to the horizon. it's massive.

A source of trememdous regret to me was that in 1971 I was asked to host and DJ at the the precursor original event which was then called "Glastonbury Fair". The problem was that I'd have to give up a couple of lucrative gigs and would have earned nothing at Glastonbury. I was also at the end of my record playing career, met wifey and unexpectedly started a family, and I gave the gig up to a mate who was also gigging in Soho at the same time as me an unknown dj named Jeff Dexter. He did it. I would have loved to boast to my kids that I did Glastonbury .....

Tonight we had the Jacksons and a sorry attempt it was!