Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

Greetings Coolers! Nasty thunder storms yesterday afternoon. Starting the day with sun! Rain forecast for every day this week though. Bah Humbug!

JP...your meal looks absolutely delicious!

More basement clear out on the agenda. Getting rid of university textbooks now. Seriously, 44 years later!

Have a great day all!

Good morning Coolers,

JP, thanks for the recipe to a lovely summer dish. It is happiness on a plate.

Mysty, I had to chuckle when I read your hoarding University textbooks. For many years I did too!

Have a great start of the week, everyone.

JP,

That's the best plate ever posted in all of Cooler!

I'm hopping on a plane for some scraps!

Jeff, our last posts must have crossed and I didn't see yours until today. Thanks! It was really tasty. We have a lunch portion of leftovers still, so we could share. Just have to grill another skewer of shrimp.

Lois, I do Pulmonary/Critical Care Medicine so the weeks when I'm on call, I'm covering ICU. Small hospital so not overall too busy, but I might have to go in at any time. Chris does Radiology so she takes call too, but she has much less risk of being called in.

We try to coordinate so we're both on together when we can. Otherwise it gets excessive. I'm on every third week so if she's not on the same week, we end up with consecutive weeks where one of us is on call. That puts a crimp in our travel schedule! [emoji6]

Mysty, I tossed most of my college textbooks in 2004 when we last moved. I sometimes regret it. But I am a packrat. Chris keeps it from getting too bad! I still have a few texts from Med School but they are at work, in my office. So no clutter from that at home.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

JP and Cam....thanks for your support. :) I am a self-professed packrat. Myster, however, is not very good at policing this issue. Thusly, if we are interested in downsizing I have to take the helm. Only fair I guess because my contribution to the oversupply of 'stuff" is the more substantial of the two of us.

On another note.....

Canada will celebrate our 150th Birthday on Saturday July 1. As part of the celebration, Canadian Geographic and The Walrus teamed up to produce “The Story of Canada in 150 Objects”, a special magazine edition. Sitting at number 44 is Standard Time. Sir Sandford Fleming (born in Scotland and emigrating to Canada in 1845) was instrumental in the creation of time zones around the world.

Fleming was the director of the Canadian Pacific Railway Company, supervising the completion of the first trans-Canadian railroad. As he turned to the details of railway schedules, things got complicated. Every town had its own local time based on solar noon. It was impossible to create a schedule for train service. Fleming’s solution was simple. Divide the world into 24 time zones, one for every hour of the day.

He teamed up with a prominent American meteorologist named Cleveland Abbe and they enlisted a number of distinguished international scientists and politicians to support their idea. The International Meridian Congress convened in Washington, D.C. in October 1884 and standard time went into effect on January 1, 1885.

Cheers Canada!

My pleasure Cam! I knew that Fleming was instrumental in the creation of time zones and standard time, however, I did not know that railway schedules were the driving impetus behind the idea. :)

Camillus

So much to do in the vail valley and beyond.

Will you have a car?

If so I would recommend driving west to Glenwood Canyon. Amazing gothic canyon! Then a little farther to Glenwood Springs and the vapor caves, geothermal steam caves. A fun and sweaty experience.

In Vail, everything is overpriced. There are boutiques and art galleries. Small village walking. Gorsuch store...pretty things. Good places to eat are Sweet Basil, Moe's BBQ, and Ludwigs at the Sonnenalp. Don't know if Game creek restaurant is open, but lovely setting. If the free shuttle is operating you can go to Beaver Creek and eat at Mirabelle, Grouse Mountain grill or Splendido at the Chateau. I also recommend Avon Bakery and Deli...fabulous sandwiches and freshly baked bread. It's right near the Bridge called Bob in Avon.

For a funkier experience drive to Minturn. Less expensive than either Vail or the Beav.

Also Blue moose pizza, hefty prices but good pizza.

JP, I'm sorry, I know I haven't been as consistent with posting food pictures. I also haven't been as consistent with cooking at home of late. Summer hit, and schedules and life seemed to have made some unplanned changes. I have officially started a "Lifestyle change" (dare I say DIET), and that is going to change how I cook quite a bit. 248 days until we head back to the Caribbean and I am determined to look and feel better on this next cruise.

Spins, thanks so much for your recommendations!! I will print out your posting so that I won't forget. I'm so excited about this trip.

Mysty, allow me to suggest something with regards to diet. Roberto lost over 100 pounds in little more than a year by, mainly, portion control. He cut down on sweets, and started eating more vegetables, but otherwise did not put himself on a diet. Exercise is a key component to weight loss. Before going this path, he tried every diet under the sun and lost a lot of weight but put it back on because he could not feel satisfied and happy without his favorite foods. Most probably you won't need to lose so many pounds and it would be easier to achieve your goal.

Thanks Cam! Sounds like great advice! I’m going to file it away for the time when my body no longer fits my clothes. So far I have been lucky with the seat spread. :) However, other Coolers may be interested now. :)

Thanks to all the Coolers who have stepped up to provide information to help me plan our Med cruise. Right now I am just enjoying the knowledge that it is going to happen and wait for itineraries to be released. Then the real planning can begin!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks to all the Coolers who have stepped up to provide information to help me plan our Med cruise. Right now I am just enjoying the knowledge that it is going to happen and wait for itineraries to be released. Then the real planning can begin!

Can't wait for the real planning to start! We enjoy the Med very much and it will be fun to help you plan too. You will probably have so much advice that you won't know what to do with it. [emoji1]

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Evening All......Always great fun planning our travels....not too sure about the 'diet' regime....although one does try...usually without much success 😉

Mysty....today's news from Buckingham Palace States that Canadian Soldier Capt Megan Coutu became the first female soldier to Captain the Queens Guard for the changing of the guard. She serves in the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry who are currently guarding the Palace to coincide with the 150th anniversary of Canada and the Canadian Federation.....well done her for what must have been a very proud day.

S☺️

Thanks both, it turned out really great and much to both our surprise wifey likes smoked chicken and pork much more than we both expected.

18fb515115798f7f9df1a8d3a7073601.jpg

92093c602a0884963bae10843cd70da5.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Jeff, you can come here and cook all this stuff too:D...........omg...looks delicious.:D

You all are killing me....LOL.........:D

I am making a cheeseburger........it has blue cheese in the burger:)........and I will have some frozen veggies on the

side.........we are having a major thunderstorm:eek: right now...........thundering out.............

You all are killing me....LOL.........:D

I am making a cheeseburger........it has blue cheese in the burger:)........and I will have some frozen veggies on the

side.........we are having a major thunderstorm:eek: right now...........thundering out.............

I love storms!! Don't get many good ones here. Lake Michigan sucks all the power out of them.

Not sure if this is the right place for this question, but here goes: We're embarking the Muse on Oct 31 for a 17 day to Buenos Aires. What are the options for travel from Santiago (where we're spending a couple of nights pre-cruise) to Valparaiso? My default is taxi, but was wondering if there was a train or other that would be as convenient and cheaper.