Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

Safe travels Cam....have a good time.

Dancing is second nature to me as my late father was a professional teacher.....notice on Spins playlist..Tommy Dorsey, also one of Dads favourites along with Artie Shaw.

Forgot about the late great Etta....brilliant and her 'At Last' was the kids first dance at their wedding. The movie Cadillac Records was a good portrayal.

M...get moving to that music....😉

S😊

Thank you so much for all insider information, Tothesunset. Our TA cruise on the Whisper, leaving Southampton has stops inCork, Dublin and Belfast, so our intent is to enjoy the cities when we're there on the cruise.

My DHs family is originally from Ireland, so we intend to visit the small family origin villages as part of our road trip, (seeing what we can find in Parrish registries) and generally stick to the 'A' roads and avoid the 'M's.

My DH also considers moving back to the homeland as our retirement home. I'll decide when we've actually been there!

Again, thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Safe travels Cam....have a good time.

Dancing is second nature to me as my late father was a professional teacher.....notice on Spins playlist..Tommy Dorsey, also one of Dads favourites along with Artie Shaw.

Forgot about the late great Etta....brilliant and her 'At Last' was the kids first dance at their wedding. The movie Cadillac Records was a good portrayal.

M...get moving to that music....😉

S😊

Love 'At Last' by Etta! I remember the Obamas dancing to it.

Penny

Lots of fun music and dance discussion here. Chris and I love ballroom dance but we are not as facile with it as we used to be...less time to dance these days. But we retain enough knowledge to fool some people! ;)

We really enjoy the rhythm dances (swing, cha-cha, rumba) and some of the smooth dances like waltz and tango, but we really dislike the foxtrot. Then there are some less formal "fun" dances we like such as salsa, west coast swing, hustle, argentine tango. And the unusual ones that aren't played so much like bolero, and mambo. Samba is fun but the unusual timing can give me fits.

All good fun and good exercise...part of how we got into better shape years ago and part of why we're not in such good shape now!

It would be really challenging to just pick five songs. I love different songs for different reasons. I am not too fond of a lot of the new artists though I have to say that most Maroon 5 songs are great to dance swing, West Coast, or cha-cha to. I could do without many of the generic songs by Katy Perry and/or Pink. Many of them sound too similar to me, and there are a ton of copycats. That said there are some great female vocalists who stand out in my mind; I wish Christina Perri would make another song that comes close to Jar of Hearts. Or Natalie Imbruglia, Torn. Tracy Chapman's early stuff from the late 80s. Such emotion in those songs.

Like most children of the 80s I went through my Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin days. I also listened to lots of 60s stuff. The 70s music that I remember from when I was a little kid - I never liked it then but they have some great disco songs that are fun to dance the hustle to now, so they have their place. I am embarrassed to say that I love ABBA, and I really enjoy the shows on Silversea when they do ABBA songs. Or the movie Mama Mia... such fun!

Some of my all time favorite individual songs would be Dancing Queen by ABBA, Kiss Me by Sixpence None The Richer, and Melt With You by Modern English. Even after hearing them for decades they stick with me for some unknown reason and make me happy whenever I hear them. Brown-eyed Girl also holds a special place in my heart (Chris has brown eyes which may explain that). Smooth by Santana and Rob Thomas is in that top list of great songs for me too. So there's the five that I said I wouldn't do. ;p

Yes Ma'am, Miss S! Time to boogie! :)

JP.... I adore ABBA! Funnily I had completely forgotten about them until I read your post. Senior moment(s)! Myster is not a fan of dancing. I did manage to talk him into ballroom dancing lessons eons ago. We did fairly well together then. He's a tall lad at 6'3" and I'm a pipsqueak at 5'2". We make an odd couple! :) We haven't tried to dance the dances we learned years ago though.

Thank you so much for all insider information, Tothesunset. Our TA cruise on the Whisper, leaving Southampton has stops inCork, Dublin and Belfast, so our intent is to enjoy the cities when we're there on the cruise.

My DHs family is originally from Ireland, so we intend to visit the small family origin villages as part of our road trip, (seeing what we can find in Parrish registries) and generally stick to the 'A' roads and avoid the 'M's.

My DH also considers moving back to the homeland as our retirement home. I'll decide when we've actually been there!

Again, thanks.

Have a great time. Your stop in Cork is in the port of Cobh which famously was the embarkation point for many/most of the Irish emigres to the US during and after the famine. I've not visited but I would be surprised if there isn't some kind of museum/memorial to that seminal event as far as the Irish invasion of the East Coast is concerned.

You will see the very best of Ireland if you avoid the obvious tourist traps (Titanic museum in Belfast, the Blarney Stone, Dublin's Temple Bar, Giant's Causeway etc) and get into the heart of the country. In my mind I don't distinguish between North and South (which is very much a political construct) and nor do a lot of my countrymen except for the hardened British in their Northern ghettoes (from which I shamefully must admit extraction). There really isn't anything quite like finding a great country pub with draught Guinness and live fiddle music which you just won't find any longer in the cities. Get out in the country, though - North or South - and you'll, I hope, find that the Irish craic is alive and well.

I think it says a lot for the interest of your average Irishman that there's hardly a city in the world that doesn't have an Irish Bar!!!

What a pity, Mysty, that I was not in that cruise. Roberto does not like to dance and I would have loved to be part of your chorus line!

Waiting now in Dallas airport for flight to Vail.

OK, Cam! If we get lucky and manage to sail with you and Roberto, I will ask you to dance! :) Be forewarned that I have been called a "wild woman" on the dance floor. Somehow, I don't think that would be an issue for you! :) Enjoy your awesome trip!

May I just gently remind members contemplating dancing in a wild and abandoned fashion that the bar has recently been revarnished after a certain member continually left her cigarette balanced on the edge rather than in the provided Guiness ashtrays (no name, no shame Soapy .... ;) ) and so the committee request that members refrain from dancing on the bar without first removing their stilettos.

Thank you for your understanding in this matter.

Well, only one other thing.

Your committee spent a lot of time and effort stealing the Guiness ashtrays from other bars, and having gone to all that effort and trouble it is dissapointing that some members have stolen them from the Cooler. What next ?!?!

This behaviour is unacceptable.

One member has suggested that those other bars are stealing them back again. However close scrutiny of the CCTV shows a dwarf like Canadian figure taking several ashtrays and thrusting them down her knickers whilst she thinks that she was unobserved. WRONG! On one image she clearly hadn't ensured that the cigarette ends had been fully extinguished and after a few minutes there was smoke puffing out from underneath her clothing.

Hot pants are one thing but this melting nylon underwear on the Axminster carpet is difficult to pick out.

Prior to an Explorer cruise , we picked up a car at LHR and toured Ireland.

I chose Europcar, joined their program ( to warrant the car) ,and received a brand new Skoda Superb Wagon which was a nice drive. There was an extra charge for the insurance but no other complications.

We found the ferry a breeze, and the roads and traffic easy.

We also had wonderful weather which helped.

I am about to use Avis in the US and again have joined their program as a cost neutral way of helping to get a better set of wheels along with a fast and simple pick up process.

Having been once burned ,I would never trust my card insurance. I take the offered insurance and always make sure that my travel policy covers the usurious excess levies that rental co's charge.

I am on holiday and don't want to be worried about every stone chip…….

What happened to "innocent until proven guilty"? And seriously nylon underwear? Cotton only for this dwarfish Canadian figure. :) It must have been some other dwarfish Canadian. I'm sure I am not the only one. My behaviour thus far has been fairly decentish. :) I want a jury of my peers please.

May I just gently remind members contemplating dancing in a wild and abandoned fashion that the bar has recently been revarnished after a certain member continually left her cigarette balanced on the edge rather than in the provided Guiness ashtrays (no name, no shame Soapy .... ;) ) and so the committee request that members refrain from dancing on the bar without first removing their stilettos.

Thank you for your understanding in this matter.

So.....the defence asks what proof you have that this incident was caused by a cigarette.....l have it on very good authority that the chairman of the committee caused the said damage with nothing less than one large Cuban whilst attempting to retrieve his stilleto in order to treat the members to his rendition of Gypsy Rose Lee....sadly it became caught up in his fishnets which resulted in the Cuban dropping orff the most unsuitable Guinness ashtray which had obviously been purloined by our Irish member TTS during his recent visit to the Emerald.

Placing the blame on our Canadian dwarf is quite unacceptable and l vote to present this case to the court of Judge Judy whom I'm sure will find in the members favour and boot the chairman out for perverting the cause of justice.

I rest my case.........😝

This is getting quite amusing! I needed a good laugh before work.

No time for fancy cooking yesterday. We had stuff to do after work and at 7:00 we didn't have dinner planned. So a quick dish of pasta with bacon, capers, and mint.

0aa81a24911fbafca156be8f65543a10.jpg

Finished with Parmigiano Reggiano cheese and a drizzle of olive oil.

346f96654ff97086832426f39a79dd1c.jpg

It was tasty, but kind of a small portion. Needed a bedtime snack. [emoji1]

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Greetings Coolers!

Thanks so much for your sterling defense of this Canadian dwarf Miss S! I would have had to rely on a court appointed counsel otherwise, due to my recent impecunious situation. Your ploy of misdirection and the pointing of the fickle finger of fate at other members was sheer brilliance! Rest assured that you will be rewarded when my "ship comes in". :)

JP...Court proceedings aside, your meal looks delicious! In your situation I fear I would have had a tasty peanut butter sandwich for dinner.

Have a great day all!

Amusing reads this morning. Almost through the week here. 6 appointments today and 2 tomorrow. I have to have professional photos taken for the practice website and marketing merchandise. Not a fan. [emoji35]

I put it off as long as I could, and just got a reminder email from corporate. Guess I had better get on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi SnickersSiri,

I found your roll call. It's not in the Silversea section, but in the Other Cruise Lines section. That may explain the zero response.

Sometimes though, there is no response to a roll call because the ships are small. We've done a bunch of roll calls so far. I've only once reached a number high enough for a meet & mingle party. So don't feel bad.

I tagged your roll call post and asked the administrator to move it to the SS section. That may help, but your cruise is getting close, so not much time left.

I looked at your itinerary. Should be a fun cruise! Enjoy your second SS cruise and be sure to come back and tell us about it! And, welcome to CC, and the Cooler.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Anyone know anyone on Silver Cloud leaving next week for Oslo and ports beyond? Tried to set up a Roll Call, dont think it worked. Our second SS cruise, first was on Silver Wind about 5 yrs ago.

Hi Snickers.....as most folk pop on to the cooler I'm sure you will soon get an answer to your question and will hopefully have some good company.

Have a wonderful voyage. 😊