Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

Happy Canada Day to all our Canadian friends. Our birthday is Tuesday. Oh, I am doing a BIG splurge in Mallorca and booked the Helicopter Ride.

YES, a big happy birthday to Canada. BUT, it not just any average birthday for Canada. It's their 150th birthday!! That's a giant biggie!! I always remember Canada Day as being on July 1 as that is my wife's birth date, too! Congrats to Lois for her birthday celebration on Tuesday.

Wonderful that you have booked a Mallorca helicopter adventure. Have you ever done such an exciting excursion?? As I mentioned on my live/blog from last week, the ship's Powerboat Seascape Expedition was one of the best ship excursions that we have ever one. It's good to . . . LIVE LIFE WITH A LITTLE DANGER!!

A year ago in Africa, I did two different helicopter flights. One for flying over Cape Town, going south around Table Mountain, seeing parts of Winelands, etc. Plus, another helicopter experience in Botswana with the doors off of the helicopter for 27 minutes while exploring the Okavango Delta. Below are three of my visual samples. Take lots of pictures and share them here at the Cooler.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 32,478 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

Here is one picture where I needed a little "help" to be "soaring like an eagle"! My secret? It's riding in a helicopter to travel around Cape Town. Like the views? Table Mountain is clearly so dominate in the way it towers over Cape Town and the nearby areas.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

Africa2016PixsA13_zpsn571mfn9.jpg

After arriving at Botswana's Eagle Island, our first major "activity" was do a helicopter tour of this Okavango Delta. Shown first is our helicopter and the pilot waving. The doors were off of the helicopter to allow us better pictures and visibility. Normally, my wife does not like doing any "heights", but this flying trip worked well. Notice the one picture with Cape Buffalo, zebra, bird, etc. all getting along well at this one watering hole?:

Africa2016PixsA62_zps2brzxijg.jpg

Africa2016PixsA70_zps7ua2lypm.jpg

Happy Canada Day from the left (west) coast of the country. All sorts of fun provincial politics happening here in BC.

Years ago I accompanied my daughter to Ottawa for Canada Day. The choir she was in represented BC in a massed choir (Unisong) that sang in two concerts with the NAC. The massed choir was made up of choirs from each province and territory. They sang O Canada on Parliament Hill, had a private tour of Parliament, met the PM, etc. Fortunately that year the weather was sunny and we had an excellent time. It was a long day!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Greeting Coolers,

Sorry I've been out of touch for a while. Jeff, I hope you recovered from the eye infection, and I also trust all Canadian friends enjoyed their day.

The premier at Vail Bravo Fest went splendidly. Both Roberto and the organizers were very happy. Also, the Missa Latina in Chicago was very sccessful and received a rave review from the Chicago Herald.

Right now we are stranded in Dallas Airport on our way home. And by stranded I mean we need to stay in a hotel until tomorrow, due to all the holiday traveling causing havoc, as airlines don't prepare adequately... all for the bottom line! Here's hoping we fly out tomorrow. Will let you know how this Odyssey turns out.

Great news about the premier in Vail and the Chicago Missa Latina! Not so great news about being stranded in Dallas! Here's hoping for safe travels home tomorrow! Thanks for the update Cam! And congrats to Roberto!

G'Day Coolers..........great O Canada M....with so many celebrations being mentioned it got me thinking about the lovely time DH and had there and as we were leaving Quebec he said how disappointed he was having not seen a Moose......quite literally as we turned round a bend there stood the most beautiful beast right at the side of the road......when we got to Toronto we found two really lovely wood carved Moose which now sit on my dresser to remind me of that visit.....silly tale really but memories are good..☺️

Cam...so pleased all went well for you and Roberto....hope you finally managed to get home safe...from what l read about travel in the US lots of delays over this weekend .....it's no different here on a bank holiday!

Lois....l admire your bravery at taking a helicopter trip....and more so Terry without doors.....ye gads.....have only been in the whirlybird once and that was more than enough and to make that one trip worse l was with a very prominent VIP who thought it all quite wonderful while l sat there with my eyes firmly shut hoping he wouldn't notice....😮

As l absolutely detest the road journey from Nice to Monte l wish l had the courage to take the chopper transfer but would have to be in a vodka induced coma to do so!!

Miss Holly the Springer arrived earlier much to the delight of Henry....she's a feisty little monkey and most certainly rules the roost but such fun!

Today's luncheon is farm shop pork chops with roasted veggies, sweet potato mash and petit pois.

Happy Sunday 😊

Terry, I have gone on a Floatplane tour in Ketchikan, Alaska (twice actually) but never gone on a big Bird;)

Lois....l admire your bravery at taking a helicopter trip....and more so Terry without doors.....ye gads.....have only been in the whirlybird once and that was more than enough and to make that one trip worse l was with a very prominent VIP who thought it all quite wonderful while l sat there with my eyes firmly shut hoping he wouldn't notice.

With this being Lois' first helicopter flight, that adds to the "interest" as to how this adventure experience happens and the results. Look forward to getting a full report on the "results".

YES, for me in Botswana, I was surprised that the helicopter had its doors off. BUT, I loved it from a photography aspect in being able to better get images without any glare off of the glass, etc. Personally, over my many decades, I have done lots of flying as a passenger in a single-engine aircrafts, plus in doing a decent number of previous helicopter flights. My wife, however, was fairly uncertain and uncomfortable, but it all worked out well for her.

Good luck for Lois!! Great story/background from MissSophia.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Panama Canal? Just completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun pictures!! Those pictures start on the second page, post #26. See more at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

Good afternoon all ..... you enjoy that food Soapy.

Lois, hope you enjoy your helicopter ride in Majorca .... don't know how long you have there but another option is a coastal trip on a nice Sunseeker or something. so much to see from the water. Also just chilling out in Palma old town perhaps in one of the renovated old palace hotels and bars. Lots of tapas in the old town which is now pedestrianised. It is extremely boring but we normally email our favourite hotel and spend some of the day in their roof garden with some cava snd tapas.

Camels it's really great that Roberto's music has been appreciated ... it must be quite a roller coaster ride for him and the highs must be extremely high. Hope you got back OK.

Terry .... lovely posts.

Spins, one observation about the Cipriani. Not an expert, but whilst I can see that a lot of Italians use it, I doubt many are Venetians. There is only a population of less than 50k in Venice, it's a real problem. It is a nice place but it is a tourist trap, but then is the whole of Venice. If there is just two of you, I suggest you try the frito misto as it won't hang around on the pass, and miss the over priced pasta dishes which will not be much better than you have on board. Eat something you won't get on board.

M, so pleased to hear the celebrations went so well.

Today some cold drinks on the balcony.

2b08659c43da0369e5dc1097c96eabac.jpg

Good morning:)....had a lovely dinner last night with my sis and bil.......we went to a restaurant called

SEASONS 52.......it was delicious. We all got different appetizers instead of the normal entrees.......had wine

(bil drinks Manhattens) and we did have dessert too.

Thanks for the all the encouraging words.....I am sure the ride will be a lot of fun:)........as for timing, it is 2 hours

from start to finish so I will have plenty of time to walk around Mallorca:)

I have a question about Elba, Portferriario.......is that an area I can do on my own? I was going to book a tour with SS

but if I can just do it myself that day? So many ports on the cruise and I am doing tours in almost all of them. Is walking

around here easy to do?

Greetings Coolers!

Our celebration yesterday went fairly well. The rain and the new security measures for access to the Hill caused some problems. Some people waited in security lines for up to 5 hours and some were turned away because there was only room for 31,000 on the lawns in front of Parliament. Part of the reason for the enhanced security was that the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall were in attendance at the Canada Day Opening Ceremony. The fireworks at night over the Parliament Buildings were spectacular!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/ottawa-s-fireworks-for-canada-day-1.4187954

Miss S. that is a wonderful memory! I have yet to see a moose up close and personal. They are huge and they may think I look like a mid-morning snack! :) Enjoy your lunch! And have fun with the furry ones!

J...that drink and view look like a piece of Paradise! Enjoy them both! :)

Have a great day all!

Food looks very comforting Jeff.

What pray tell is the drink?

Watched Apocalypse Now again last night. An amazing film and soundtrack

I may re read Joseph Conrad again, having not read it since high school.

I just re read the Handmaids Tale. I haven't seen the series, nor will I likely do so.

Happy Sunday all.

Think you should name that drink the 'Balcony Breezer' Jeffers.... 🍹

Can't drink Bacardi...it quite literally sends me loopy..!

Good movie choice Spins........just finished reading a very interesting book about The Mountbatten family written by the late daughter Pamela Hicks who was a bridesmaid at the Queens wedding and also a lady in waiting......

So, Wimbledon starts this week and l love it.....time for some fresh strawberries....😜

Think you should name that drink the 'Balcony Breezer' Jeffers.... 🍹

Can't drink Bacardi...it quite literally sends me loopy..!

Good movie choice Spins........just finished reading a very interesting book about The Mountbatten family written by the late daughter Pamela Hicks who was a bridesmaid at the Queens wedding and also a lady in waiting......

So, Wimbledon starts this week and l love it.....time for some fresh strawberries....😜

Don't forget the cream:D...strawberries and cream...........:)

Good name Soapy,

On the off chance that there are some young Brits lurking around the Cooler, some mandatory homework .......

"Bin there, done that: Corbyn’s spending fever won’t work "

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/bin-there-done-that-david-smith-on-why-corbyn-s-spending-fever-won-t-work-2jk50bnqx?shareToken=622b261c4f5b2df9b5032c2045547f9c

This week's Sunday Clarkson shared for those that enjoy him .....

"School’s out of touch — kids must learn to wire a plug and embrace nepotism "

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/jeremy-clarkson-school-s-out-of-touch-kids-must-learn-to-wire-a-plug-and-embrace-nepotism-sz85tr575?shareToken=56835eec1884146dd4853e053aeb8b31

OMG, the Balcony Breezer is what I need right now! Finally out of Dallas mid-morning to Philadelphia, to find ourselves stuck again, but with hopes of flying to Syracuse tonight. I wonder about the destination of our luggage...

Bacardi is distilled in PR. It's my second favorite rum, the first being Ron Don Q, which is not exported.

Rum and passion fruit make for a very sensual combination... Having now a virgin Perrier as nothing else is near our gate, rats!!