Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

Yes Miss S. I remember that you enjoyed our beautiful country with your dear late husband. I hope the fond memories of that might entice you to visit again? :) We would love to host you! And should dear Jeffers decide to hitch a ride, we would be pleased to host him and Mrs. Jeffers! You are up late tonight! Hope all is well!

Wonderful memories M.....yes...Miss S is up late tonight but all is well thank you....I'm actually enjoying a wee drop of whisky right now which will hopefully ensure l drop orff to sleep once l get into Gwelly......that being Welsh for bed! ☺️

For some reason, when I got my eye stuff from A&E today, they put me through the full questionnaire.

"Do you smoke?"

"No".

"Do you eat a healthy diet?"

"Yes"

"How much do you drink each day?"

"Wine?"

"Yes"

"Half a bottle"

Ask the wrong question ........ ;)

For some reason, when I got my eye stuff from A&E today, they put me through the full questionnaire.

"Do you smoke?"

"No".

"Do you eat a healthy diet?"

"Yes"

"How much do you drink each day?"

"Wine?"

"Yes"

"Half a bottle"

Ask the wrong question ........ ;)

Ah....the same old chestnut......if one sees a medic with a wart on ones nose it's all down to excess alcohol and smoking......( apologies to the medic coolers) l never cough to anything ....pardon the pun......and have experienced them not always singing from the same hymn book....am a great believer of when ones number is on that raffle ticket we are off......problem being of course that if one is on an aircraft or the like when some other persons ticket is up..........and on that note l shall bid you all a very goodnight as l go and cwtch up to four paws....and that in Welsh means cuddle.........😊

The Balcony

ab880a56cceb52227065004110a95f00.jpg

Anyway boeuf bourguignon today on too small plates.

ba804f976a609318560974caccab0c94.jpg

Appreciate this great balcony pictures from Jeff. Looks like perfect weather there. Right? Loved your earlier food picture!! Lots of great color and interest there, including the nice French table covering. I am sure it tasted wonderful.

Getting ready in the USA for our July 4th "Happy Birthday" with our Independence from King George III. Your loss, our gain! Sorry to rub it in. Got lots of rain during the last 24 hours in Central Ohio. For this weekend, mostly mid 80'sF or around 28-29C. Mostly dry weather upcoming.

Getting my body clock adjusted from three weeks in Europe. Slept in till 6 am. That's progress. Nearly back on a normal sleep cycle. Getting ready to post 24 pictures from our visit last week to wonderful and historic Rouen.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 182,264 views for this posting.

Well it was rather grand to 'party' so late last night......🍷and to wake up to some sunshine at last! Sorry to have missed Peter Kay though!

Glad M had a chuckle over the Welsh lingo....DD is Welsh and learnt the language at school but has forgotten most now she's older.

Today is a cooler than cool chill day before Henry's lady friend Holly the springer arrives tomorrow for a few days of fun, fur and chaos!

Lovely view from the balcony Jeffers....looks like a pleasant day down your way too....😊

Greetings Coolers! Happy Canada Day! Of course, it is pouring buckets here in the nation's capital! Festivities will go on as planned on Parliament Hill unless there is lightning. Security has been ramped up and access to the Hill is now through only 2 access points. Metal detectors, pat downs, bag searches. This is the first time ever that access to the Hill on Canada Day has been so complicated. A sign of the times!

Balcony view is beautiful J! Enjoy!

Yes, Miss S. I am enthralled by the Welsh language. There are hardly any vowels in those words. Pronunciation must be an interesting learning process. I am not good with phonetics having learned to read by memory. I fear I would struggle!

Glad you enjoyed your trip Terry! Your photos are lovely!

Lois...the excitement must be building as your sail date nears! Have a wonderful adventure!

Have a great day all!

M...hope all goes well for the celebrations today......yes the Welsh phonetics can be very complicated which makes for a very difficult language to learn!

Lois....so exciting for you now ....I'll be saying the same next month!

Happy Day to you Terry also.....you've enthralled us all with your beautiful pictures and I'm sure you'll have a lovely holiday weekend with your family.

It's a pie and peas day for lunch.....Steak and Ale with plenty of English mustard!!

😊

Miss S....your meal sounds scrumptious! Enjoy!

I learned something today about Canada that surprised me. There is an interesting article on the CBC website. Apparently some Canadians used to speak with a quasi-British accent called Canadian Dainty. Here are excerpts from the article.

Everything British is better. At least that was the sentiment in 19th-century Canada when the upper middle class developed a hybrid speech style that was not quite Canadian and seemingly British.

That quasi-British accent — coined "Canadian Dainty" by Toronto linguist Jack Chambers — is now mostly extinct.

Its origins date back to the two earliest settlement waves, Chambers told CBC News.

In 1776 — the first wave — thousands of British Loyalists fled the American Revolution and put down roots in Upper Canada or what is present-day Ontario.

"What happened, at that point, was the accents all across North America — on both sides of what was the United States border, the new border — the accents were uniform.”

In the 19th century, however, the British governors of Canada "decided that there were far too many what they called American-based Canadians on our side of the border."

That resulted in the second wave of settlement, which brought an influx of English, Scottish, Welsh and Irish immigrants to Canada.

"They immediately tried to impose certain Britain standards on Canadian English and it was moderately successful. I mean, it lasted for almost a century."

The quasi-British pronunciations were a marker of the elite, Chambers said.

"The best educated people, the ones who went on to become doctors and lawyers and teachers in Canada, were the people who absorbed those lessons best."

Those in the working class "were untouched by it."

"In the first decades of the 20th century, people who heard their bank manager or their minister speaking with the Canadian Dainty features thought that person is educated and intelligent," he said. "In the second half of the 20th century, when people heard their bank manager, clergymen speaking with a Canadian Dainty accent, they may have been thinking, 'Boy, that sounds pretentious to me.'"

Today, the age-old "tomayto-tomahto" debate may bear the remnants of Canadian Dainty but it is rarely, if ever, heard.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/canadian-dainty-accent-canada-day-1.4167610

As my schooling started in about 1958 I missed out on Canadian Dainty. According to the sound clips in the article, it did sound rather posh. Interesting tidbit though. :)

Miss S....your meal sounds scrumptious! Enjoy!

I learned something today about Canada that surprised me. There is an interesting article on the CBC website. Apparently some Canadians used to speak with a quasi-British accent called Canadian Dainty. Here are excerpts from the article.

Everything British is better. At least that was the sentiment in 19th-century Canada when the upper middle class developed a hybrid speech style that was not quite Canadian and seemingly British.

That quasi-British accent — coined "Canadian Dainty" by Toronto linguist Jack Chambers — is now mostly extinct.

Its origins date back to the two earliest settlement waves, Chambers told CBC News.

In 1776 — the first wave — thousands of British Loyalists fled the American Revolution and put down roots in Upper Canada or what is present-day Ontario.

"What happened, at that point, was the accents all across North America — on both sides of what was the United States border, the new border — the accents were uniform.”

In the 19th century, however, the British governors of Canada "decided that there were far too many what they called American-based Canadians on our side of the border."

That resulted in the second wave of settlement, which brought an influx of English, Scottish, Welsh and Irish immigrants to Canada.

"They immediately tried to impose certain Britain standards on Canadian English and it was moderately successful. I mean, it lasted for almost a century."

The quasi-British pronunciations were a marker of the elite, Chambers said.

"The best educated people, the ones who went on to become doctors and lawyers and teachers in Canada, were the people who absorbed those lessons best."

Those in the working class "were untouched by it."

"In the first decades of the 20th century, people who heard their bank manager or their minister speaking with the Canadian Dainty features thought that person is educated and intelligent," he said. "In the second half of the 20th century, when people heard their bank manager, clergymen speaking with a Canadian Dainty accent, they may have been thinking, 'Boy, that sounds pretentious to me.'"

Today, the age-old "tomayto-tomahto" debate may bear the remnants of Canadian Dainty but it is rarely, if ever, heard.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/canadian-dainty-accent-canada-day-1.4167610

As my schooling started in about 1958 I missed out on Canadian Dainty. According to the sound clips in the article, it did sound rather posh. Interesting tidbit though. :)

When my husband was a young officer in the RCN, the seniors spoke that way.

Happy Canada Day to all our Canadian friends:)

Our birthday is Tuesday.;)

Oh, I am doing a BIG splurge in Mallorca and booked the Helicopter Ride:)

Happy July Coolers. I have to admit I a bit of a little giddy this time of year. I love fireworks. We always budget for purchasing a few and enjoy lighting them when dusk falls. Last night rain ruined our plans. Try again tonight.

We are off to a wine and spirit tasting and then to dine at one of my favorite casual restaurants tonight.

[emoji631][emoji95][emoji322][emoji631]

Happy Independence Day (Weekend) on this side of the pond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks all for your Happy Birthday Canada wishes!

Solo mi! ....thank you! I was watching the CBC coverage as well. Oh Canada in all the different languages was amazing! It did bring tears of pride to my eyes! Canadians are very lucky indeed!