Disembark in Southampton

Banjo

Last April we did a TA on the Silhouette from Ft Lauderdale to Southampton. The day after our stop in Vigo, Spain, UK custom agents on board did the screening of all passengers in the MDR. This allowed us, when we arrived in Southampton, to walk through the terminal in Southampton. Is this normal procedure for TAs ending in Southampton?

The reason I ask is we have a 1055a flight reservation from Southampton Airport the morning our Eclipse TA arrives in Southampton. I been to Southampton Airport before but that was to either drop-off or pick-up a rental car.

We have sailed from Southampton many times, and have had late docking at least 3 times, maybe only 2 or 3 hours late, but this would seriously affect your chance of catching that flight. We have been delayed by strong head winds, a medivac and sadly, a crew member going overboard.

The reason I ask is we have a 1055a flight reservation from Southampton Airport the morning our Eclipse TA arrives in Southampton. I been to Southampton Airport before but that was to either drop-off or pick-up a rental car.

I am not aware that processing immigration prior to arrival in Southampton is a regular feature. It does not happen on other cruise lines.

You will only miss your flight if you are very late docking in Southampton as the airport is only ten or fifteen minutes from the quayside. As Southampton airport only has about 8 gates it is not a big airport. Each gate leads directly from the airside lounge - no corridors, so you will not need to be there very early. It is one of our favourite airports.

I did get a changeable ticket with Flybe. Knowing that the ship can arrive late and the extra baggage weight allowance that went with the ticket, I thought it was worth it.

2 times I disembarked in Southampton. 1st time was a few years ago on a Eclipse Canary Island cruise that left from Southampton and returned to Southampton. That time we went through UK customs in the terminal. Last April on the Silhouette TA, as I mentioned, the sea day after we left Vigo, Spain we went through customs in the MDR. They had 2 inspectors. We had assigned times but no one seemed to follow that. Everyone came early morning, so folks had to wait. If you came in the afternoon, no line.

I don't think you have given yourself enough time.. :(

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The Eclipse is scheduled to arrive Southampton by 530a. If we can be in a taxi by 915a I should okay. Will do a early self check-out. Done those here in Miami and Ft Lauderdale. I have taken taxi before to Southampton Airport from the dock and it's only about 20 minute drive. It will be Saturday morning, little traffic. If not, I have a changeable ticket and they have another flight to Dublin that evening.

Will see...

It's common practice on eastbound transatlantics on Celebrity and Royal for immigration clearance to take place on the ship,en route. We've sailed into Southampton 11 times and never been late arriving. Plus on a TA they have a fair bit of slack to make up any lost time. I think you will be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by kevinyork

All of the check in procedure for Flybe flights from Southampton are self service. There are no Flybe staff at check in. You check in at a kiosk. Weigh your own bags and print luggage tags. Put the bags on the conveyor yourself and go to security. All of this can take time if you are not used to this system. The airport is so small however that you don't need much time to get to your gate.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 4 months later...

Just an up date on how it was with disembarking and leaving from Southampton Airport.

For disembarking from the ship I had a number that had us leaving the ship around 8am. Since breakfast started at 6am in BLU, no problem having a relaxed breakfast. Also, UK Customs stamped our passports on the previous day which was a sea day, this allowed us on disembarkation morning to walk to terminal baggage area without going through a passport control. By 810a we got our bags, the 'Q' for taxis was maybe a 5 minute wait so we were in a taxi by 825a and at the airport by 9am. Checking in for FlyBe was automated but plenty of FlyBe staff were around to assist if you needed help. Sat in terminal area for about an hour and half waiting for our flight to Dublin which left at 1105a. The terminal is small and kind of reminded me Asheville Regional Airport.

Edited by Banjo

Just an up date on how it was with disembarking and leaving from Southampton Airport.

For disembarking from the ship I had a number that had us leaving the ship around 8am. Since breakfast started at 6am in BLU, no problem having a relaxed breakfast. Also, UK Customs stamped our passports on the previous day which was a sea day, this allowed us on disembarkation morning to walk to terminal baggage area without going through a passport control. By 810a we got our bags, the 'Q' for taxis was maybe a 5 minute wait so we were in a taxi by 825a and at the airport by 9am. Checking in for FlyBe was automated but plenty of FlyBe staff were around to assist if you needed help. Sat in terminal area for about an hour and half waiting for our flight to Dublin which left at 1105a. The terminal is small and kind of reminded me Asheville Regional Airport.

Nice to know you did not encounter delays.

Thanks for the post update

Sent from my iPad using Forums