Restaurants for Sail Away - Riviera

Robjame

Toscana and Polo seem to have window seating on Deck 12. Are they good choices for a sail away dinner?

Can you request window seating when reserving online or is that done on board and with whom?

Would the 6:30 seating offer the best chance?

Is Terrace alfresco dining a sought after location on sail away?

You cannot request window seating online for the Specialties

Maybe call when you make your booking & ask for a request to be noted on your reservation

You could ask at the reservations desk on deck 5 if you can be seated there

It may depend on where & what time sail away is if you will see anything

The Terrace aft deck tables usually fill quickly once the restaurant is open

Edited by LHT28

Your best bet to get a "seat with a view" is to go to the Terrace Cafe even before they start serving food - maybe 20 minutes earlier - and get a table outside. You can then serve yourself when they open at 6;30.

Window in the back of the specialties are coveted and few; side windows more readily available but may not guarantee a good view - get there early to request such a table.

Also, there are nice windows in the back of the MDR - just get in line there very early.

Your best bet to get a "seat with a view" is to go to the Terrace Cafe even before they start serving food - maybe 20 minutes earlier - and get a table outside. You can then serve yourself when they open at 6;30.

Window in the back of the specialties are coveted and few; side windows more readily available but may not guarantee a good view - get there early to request such a table.

Also, there are nice windows in the back of the MDR - just get in line there very early.

Most sailings cast off around 5-6 In winter in N america thats after sunset. Nothing beats being on deck or in Horizons

One of the best experiences I have seen is the Terrace, departing Vancouver BC, about 1.5 after departing in late August/September on Regatta. As you approach Vancouver Isl. at sunset the Capt will some times turn the ship 360 its that good for the sunset.

Best departure I have seen are San Diego, San Francisco, Vancouver BC Juneau, New York, Sydney, Hong Kong, Istanbul, Honolulu

Most sailings cast off around 5-6 In winter in N america thats after sunset. Nothing beats being on deck or in Horizons

If Oceania says 6 pm, are they usually on time for leaving?

So leaving Miami at 6pm (sunset 7:30, March 16), Horizons is the place of choice? I gather sail away parties are not a big thing on Oceania.

If specialty dining is not usually filled on the first day, we should be able to request once on board, a time at Toscana or Polo for a little later?

Are you in sight of shore for any length of time after leaving Miami?

So leaving Miami at 6pm (sunset 7:30, March 16), Horizons is the place of choice? I gather sail away parties are not a big thing on Oceania.

If specialty dining is not usually filled on the first day, we should be able to request once on board, a time at Toscana or Polo for a little later?

usually they leave on time of course some exception may apply

depends on you

we like to eat early 6:30 so we usually head to dinner then

If you want to eat later then by all means go to Horizons or up on deck

When you leave the dock you will see the shore for an hour while going out the channel ...look over the side towards the bow & watch the dolphins

There is no gty you will get a reservation once onboard for Polo or Toscana ..it can happen but if you want to be there embarkation night book it when the slots open up

enjoy

Sail away parties are sometimes set up by people on your Roll Call. If you haven't already you might check there.

The earliest you can get in any of the Specialties is 6:30. You see the Miami skyline for a while as you leave. I personally would opt for the Terrace, unless you can get a last minute in Polo on the first night.

Barring any complications, yes Oceania usually leaves on time.

Dan, I'd have to add Montenegro and Saguenay to your list. Not as an embarkation port but just to sail away from. Both beautiful.

We have had dinner in Polo (we don't like Toscana!) twice on the first night of a cruise out of Miami. It was beautiful - and on the Caribbean cruise lots of lights on shore to see for quite a while.

That cruise did not sail on time due to passengers being late at the airport... but we didn't worry about that. We enjoyed the views anyway!

They cast off on the dot from all my experience... seldom delay and some times a bit earily.

Miami is not a socks knocker port rather industrial so I would park my rear in Horizons 5-6 is happy hour You sail with land in sight for about an hour or more...its a long shallow channel through a ton of container handling and loading facilities from Oil to Cement. It aint all that romantic or stimulating To tell you the truth Id plant my rear in Terrace outside and watch the horizon aft get smaller

The secret on O is not to rush...take things as the come and savor being onboard.....happy New year and have a great cruise to whereever

Your very correct O is not like NCL RCCL Carnival etc with droves of waiters selling drinks in souvenir glasses and blaring bands... People are rather subdued and not a big party crowd.. no galas, no deck parties or games...its different but a difference most enjoy...low key and low volume

The secret on O is not to rush...take things as the come and savor being onboard.....happy New year and have a great cruise to whereever

Your very correct O is not like NCL RCCL Carnival etc with droves of waiters selling drinks in souvenir glasses and blaring bands... People are rather subdued and not a big party crowd.. no galas, no deck parties or games...its different but a difference most enjoy...low key and low volume

Thanks so much for all the hints and tips. Not only is this our first cruise on Oceania; it is our first cruise .... so we want things to be as perfect as possible. We would hate to miss anything because we just didn't know.

So any suggestions or ideas are greatly appreciated. We are booked on a 10 day Caribbean b2b with a transatlantic to Barcelona.

Thanks so much for all the hints and tips. Not only is this our first cruise on Oceania; it is our first cruise .... so we want things to be as perfect as possible. We would hate to miss anything because we just didn't know.

So any suggestions or ideas are greatly appreciated. We are booked on a 10 day Caribbean b2b with a transatlantic to Barcelona.

Do not miss Muster drill on embarkation day usually around 5:15pm

Be sure to read the paperwork on the bed when you get into your cabin

If you like afternoon tea it is daily in Horizons for 4-5pm except embarkation day ...even if you do not drink tea it is worth having a look

Lots of information in daily newsletter CURRENTS which you will get with the nightly turn down it will give the daily activities for the next day

If you do not see something you would like then ask ...the staff will get it if available

enjoy your cruise

Lyn

One of the best experiences I have seen is the Terrace, departing Vancouver BC, about 1.5 after departing in late August/September on Regatta. As you approach Vancouver Isl. at sunset the Capt will some times turn the ship 360 its that good for the sunset.

Best departure I have seen are San Diego, San Francisco, Vancouver BC Juneau, New York, Sydney, Hong Kong, Istanbul, Honolulu

I would add Venice and Kotor

Lots of choices. We happen to prefer being where there is lots of visibility for the more scenic sailaways. If we have a big suite we'll use our balcony, but if we don't we'll go higher up. I wouldn't consider having dinner while we are sailing out of port because I'd be more concentrated on my food than the view!

In addition, I don't remember two-tops in that area of the restaurants (except for the GDR). No doubt I am WRONG. But if you are at a table for 4 or more, someone won't have a view anyway.

The first time we were on Marina we had a late night sailaway from Athens and we had been upgraded to a VS. The view was fabulous from our veranda. We were happy that night... It doesn't always happen that way! (Well, there was ONE drawback ... the couple below us were blasting their audio with music we didn't care for, but it was ignorable! And they did ask if we minded.)

Mura

Since the experienced Oceania cruisers seem to be following this thread, may I ask a tipping question? I don't find a definitive answer:

When you have room service do YOU tip at that time and how much? I guess this would require having a supply of small bills or do you add it to your bill (is there a chit?).

Is there anything that YOU tip immediately for?

Do YOU add more than the auto 18% at bar, drink service at meals, with beverage packages?

Do you pre-tip room stewards?

I am trying to get all this straight and I follow and respect the posters who have responded to this thread.

Since the experienced Oceania cruisers seem to be following this thread, may I ask a tipping question? I don't find a definitive answer:

When you have room service do YOU tip at that time and how much? I guess this would require having a supply of small bills or do you add it to your bill (is there a chit?).

We have only had room service 2 times for breakfast & yes we tip the waiter(ess) at the time usually a couple of $$

There is no chit

Do you pre-tip room stewards? NO some consider it a bribe you will get good service even if you do not pre tip

We do leave extra on the last day if on a B2B we give the room stewardess/steward something at the end of the 1st cruise then again at the end of our cruise

I am trying to get all this straight and I follow and respect the posters who have responded to this thread.

Just what we do others may do things differently

we are not in the top suites

Lyn

Robjame, that may be because there really isn't a definite answer.

For example, we've never tipped for room service. Having read posts here that indicated that many regulars DO tip for room service, I was prepared to do so on our two cruises this year. But the waiters always disappeared before I could do so. That leads me to think that they really don't expect it.

If you do tip the waiter who brings your room service order, I would give cash. There is no chit to sign so it would be hard to do that way! Sometimes people wonder about what cash to give ... if you are in central Europe, I'd suggest euros. If you are in North America, dollars. Not necessarily U.S. dollars if you are in Canada! Bear in mind that depending on where you are, if you are giving "foreign" currency, it may be difficult for the crew to avoid a currency conversion charge. So I would always opt for local currency myself.

If food is brought by a butler I would say that he doesn't expect an immediate tip either. He can be given extra at the end of the cruise (which is what we do) rather than during the cruise. In our case we have prepaid gratuities so we will tip extra at the end of the cruise depending on the services rendered.

Some regulars here to pre-tip the butler if they expect to be using the butler a lot for extra services -- like cocktail parties in their suite, etc. We personally don't pre-tip anybody. We don't do much in terms of bars, but think that 18% is more than sufficient. We don't do the liquor package. If we did, I don't think we'd tip extra because it seems to me that it's unusual to have the same server all the time.

Just my personal thoughts.

The real answer is: there isn't any answer! Do as feels right, as many have said before.

Mura

Is there anything that YOU tip immediately for?

Do YOU add more than the auto 18% at bar, drink service at meals, with beverage packages?

Do you pre-tip room stewards?

Take a look at this (on first page of Oceania forum):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2433825

And this (also 1st page):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2431567

Edited by Paulchili

Since this is your first cruise, you could not have done better...starting at the top rather than the bottom. Take it slow.. your comment, " we would hate to miss anything", is understandable. However, dont try to plan every second, let things evolve and dont feel you have to do everything. Less can be more, drink in the romance of being at sea on a classy ship You have 24-25 days to fill in the blanks

....no rush

Trying to do too much is a common problem for new cruisers... let every day happen and you will be more than pleased. Take time to chat and get to know your fellow passengers.. they will be well travled/mannered interesting people.. A different demographic from the mass market ships

Since this is your first cruise, you could not have done better...starting at the top rather than the bottom. Take it slow.. your comment, " we would hate to miss anything", is understandable. However, dont try to plan every second, let things evolve and dont feel you have to do everything. Less can be more, drink in the romance of being at sea on a classy ship You have 24-25 days to fill in the blanks

....no rush

Trying to do too much is a common problem for new cruisers... let every day happen and you will be more than pleased. Take time to chat and get to know your fellow passengers.. they will be well travled/mannered interesting people.. A different demographic from the mass market ships

And missing a few things isn't so bad. It gives you a reason to go back another time!

If you do tip the waiter who brings your room service order, I would give cash. There is no chit to sign so it would be hard to do that way! Sometimes people wonder about what cash to give ... if you are in central Europe, I'd suggest euros. If you are in North America, dollars. Not necessarily U.S. dollars if you are in Canada! Bear in mind that depending on where you are, if you are giving "foreign" currency, it may be difficult for the crew to avoid a currency conversion charge. So I would always opt for local currency myself.

Mura

As usual, I agree with your post but want to point out that the crew are paid in U.S. currency. So, wherever you are in the world, if you tip in other than U.S. dollars, they will have to do a currency conversion (unless you tip in the country where the crew member is from which may be quite difficult to do). Still, it is better to tip in any currency than not tip at all.

If crew members are paid in U.S. dollars than certainly they wouldn't have any problem exchanging the dollars for a preferred currency. Which is helpful to those of us in the U.S. but not necessarily from other countries.

Mura

Take a look at this (on first page of Oceania forum):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2433825

And this (also 1st page):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2431567

Thanks all for sharing your habits and Paul for the links.

If I might be so bold as to ask for clarification on another matter. I had planned to make requests of the stewards after we boarded, but I saw a post re. Pepsi on Oceania and the implication was one should notify your TA so things are done when you arrive. For us it would be distilled water for CPAP machine, bed made up as 1 bed rather than 2 singles, no sugar drinks in fridge.

Would you ask for these things before hand through your TA or would you wait until you are on board.

Thanks for your helpfulness.

The default is one bed rather than two, so you would only need to request twin beds if that is what is wanted. So no problem for you. Obviously, this is one request that should be made in advance because they will have made the bed up before you get access to your room.

It's probably easier as well to request no sugar drinks in advance, otherwise you'll probably have some in the fridge.

I would think that distilled water should also be requested in advance.

In general, when it is something unusual -- for example, people who need to be gluten free -- definitely should notify the ship well in advance.

Mura

If crew members are paid in U.S. dollars than certainly they wouldn't have any problem exchanging the dollars for a preferred currency. Which is helpful to those of us in the U.S. but not necessarily from other countries.

Mura

A lot of crew go ashore & use cash from tips to buy incidentals so depending on where we are sailing that is what I tip

Euros in European Countries or USD in Caribbean

They can go buy what they need/want without having to convert $$ or pull money from their work accounts (a ot gets transferred home)

They like to go buy different food than what the ship may provide

On one cruise some crew went to Kentucky Fried in Grand Cayman & bought lunches for themselves as well as bringing some back for others that did not have a free day to go ashore .....for them a special treat for us maybe not

little things we take for granted