Is Anchorage worth another day?

Phillygirl3

I am, once again, appealing to my fellow cruisers who have taken the Alaskan cruise on Regent. We decided to have an extra day in Vancouver rather than on the other end (Anchorage), as we have been told that Vancouver is worth it. I was told that Anchorage, while interesting, was not really worth the extra time even though there are some good restaurants. Now I'm wondering if we should add an extra day, but are concerned about having to pay for air deviation. Therefore, if anyone can tell me how they feel about Anchorage and if it is worth staying on once we debark the ship, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanking you all in advance!

We had a forced two day stay over 10 years ago when the Mariner had an engine failure. We were delayed getting into port by a day. We had a group of 14 who were supposed to go to Denali and we missed our window of opportunity.

We would have done better had we gone to a lodge elsewhere. We stayed at the Captain Cook. WE had a tour company take us to Talkeetna and to Homer to see the Iditerod dogs. In Anchorage, not a whole lot really.

We are going back this summer and we are going in to the ship in Vancouver and flying right home from Anchorage.

We spent several days in Victoria and Vancouver before our cruise last year and thoroughly enjoyed both. However, we also did one day post as well. We used this time to take a Kenai Fjords wildlife cruise out of Seward with Major Marine. It was incredible. We saw more wildlife on this cruise than we had seen all week on excursions -- multiple breaching whales, orca and humpback whales, a nursing whale with its mom, dolphins, sea otters and many different birds. Definitely turned out to be an unexpected highlight of our entire trip. We then overnighted in fairly unremarkable Anchorage before flying out the next morning.

Just to say that the Kenai Fjords Wildlife Cruise can be sea-sick making. Those waters are often rougher than others. If you're not especially prone to mal de mer, or if the waters are very smooth the day you go, it's a very nice outing. I wish you had more time to spend in Vancouver.

I have sailed Alaska many times but not on Regent.

With that said one day is more then sufficient in Anchorage. You are wise as you have done to spend extra time in Vancouver. Vancouver is beautiful with lots to do. I am not sure if Victoria is on your itinerary but if not it is worth taking the ferry over to Victoria but I would allocate a full day for that.

The drive between Anchorage and Seward takes about three hours and will include scenic views. Anchorage itself has very little scenery. It's mainly buildings.

Keith

We spent several days in Victoria and Vancouver before our cruise last year and thoroughly enjoyed both. However, we also did one day post as well. We used this time to take a Kenai Fjords wildlife cruise out of Seward with Major Marine. It was incredible. We saw more wildlife on this cruise than we had seen all week on excursions -- multiple breaching whales, orca and humpback whales, a nursing whale with its mom, dolphins, sea otters and many different birds. Definitely turned out to be an unexpected highlight of our entire trip. We then overnighted in fairly unremarkable Anchorage before flying out the next morning.

I have done Alaska on Regent many times and we did a one night pre-cruise in Seward to do the Kenai Fjords cruise. As said above, it remains to this day the absolutely best excursion on any Alaska trip. None of our excursions once on the ship's cruise even compared to the fabulous wildlife we saw on this trip

From my perspective there is a ton of great stuff in Anchorage proper. Three great museums are the University of Alaska Museum of the North, the Displays at the Alaska Native Medical Center (and don't miss the Craft Shop), and the Alaska Museum of Science and Nature.

You could stay the extra day in Seward and take the previously mention Kenai Fjords National park cruise or see the Alaska SeaLife Center.

Or my personal choice, stay an extra week to explore Danali, go all the way to Fairbanks, or down the Kenai peninsula.

All depends what you want.

I really enjoyed Anchorage. Although it was many years ago. many quaint shops and bars. Humpy's was my favorite. bot a puck and had Scott Gomez sign it. OK not a flyer but a great player. If I remember correctly some nice little museums to see life as it was.

As long as your there it is probably worth a day.

https://www.anchorage.net/things-to-do/museums-culture-heritage/

Enjoy.

Good topic! We are spending a few days pre-cruise and wondering if we should drive ourselves to Seward or use the Anchorage hotel night and bus ride to Seward before our May 31 cruise on Mariner. We've already got one night in Alyeska and 2 nights in Homer lined up

My second trip I added in Seward. Really only two places tourist ate. But I loved my whale watch tour and going Exut Glacier. Due to flights or Ak I had a little more time than I needed but it was a nice way to spend time vs the city.

Vancouver I love so much I have stayed twice seeing all kinds of major places. Plus I added in Whisler. Loved jt there. So much to do inBC.