Weight limit for snorkeling?

colesc15

Are you talking about snorkeling or scuba? Should not be a problem with snorkeling. Scuba a different matter and health and good insurance really important as a Scuba diver I must insist on health and safety very important.

Brian.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Not to mention being negatively buoyant... we were discussing snorkeling.

Just my 2 cents. My BF is 6'3 and has never been under 250 lbs while I've known him. He's been everywhere from about 260-300+. It's the combination of being built like a linebacker and being a bit chubby. We've done catamaran/boat/snorkel excursions on every cruise we've taken. Never been an issue. I'm under 150, so more than balance him out for the weight limit on the boat, he's a strong swimmer... and really, people are going on about running 10 miles a day and running marathons... snorkel excursions involve putting on a life jacket and floating/lightly swimming in the water.

I've never seen him or anyone else pulled aside and questioned about weight. I'm sure it's an issue for insurance, agree it probably has to do with max weight on the boat and life jacket max. IMO if you can fit in a large life jacket, get yourself in and out of the water, and handle some light swimming, it will be fine.

No, we don't mess with anything involving horses, zip lining, or anything where his individual weight would actually matter. As far as our joint load on a boat, we are well under 500 combined so no matter.

I can certainly identify with your description! HAHAHA. And having a little wife certainly helps on airplanes! She's maybe 100lb soaking wet, so she never takes up any room. But like I said in my other post, guys who are big all over (as opposed to just being rolly-polly) and are active tend not to trigger nearly as many "UH, SHOULD YOU BE DOING THIS?" looks/comments. Although, sounds like your bf and I both should still make a few cutbacks and slim down a bit. I've got a buddy who is my height and weighs almost 80lbs less than me. Our frames are nothing alike. He looks good and would look massively obese at my weight, but I'd look emaciated at his.

• 1 year later...

Recently went snorkeling in st. Marten, Royal Caribbean, oasis of seas.

They posted a 250 pound weight limit. I was 272 and lost 17 pounds to get to 255. I was concerned they would not let me snorkel but the excursion folks said they did not care. They said the weight limits for snorkeling are in place because they boat would be over weight if they booked an entire tour of football players for example. Also, they only had 3 life vests for larger people. They said that by listing the weight limit it eliminates these problems.

They said the horseback riding and zip lines weight limits are different and you will get weighed.

Recently went snorkeling in st. Marten, Royal Caribbean, oasis of seas.

They posted a 250 pound weight limit. I was 272 and lost 17 pounds to get to 255. I was concerned they would not let me snorkel but the excursion folks said they did not care. They said the weight limits for snorkeling are in place because they boat would be over weight if they booked an entire tour of football players for example. Also, they only had 3 life vests for larger people. They said that by listing the weight limit it eliminates these problems.

They said the horseback riding and zip lines weight limits are different and you will get weighed.

The only cruise and non cruise tours that do weigh you before leaving is the air tours in Alaska. They are very strict on weights and will charge double or deny. But snorkeling never in my tours and I'm fluffy

Do you realize that the last post before yours was 1 1/2 years ago?

Do you realize that the last post before yours was 1 1/2 years ago?

Do you realize how many times we tell people "why did you start a whole new thread, there are dozens of threads about this topic out there? USE THE SEARCH FEATURE!"

So the posters are 100% fine. They did a perfectly fine thing.

and every single helicopter tour I looked into were very explicit about you WILL be weighed no matter what.

Yes, with a helicopter, with all seats filled is near maximum take off weight. Same with smaller aircraft, such as those used for glacier tours.

Plus, where each person sits has an affect.

A small runabout would be a similar situation, but not a large dive/snorkel excursion boat.

This is also why they do not weigh every airline passenger. :D

Edited by SRF