Weight limit for snorkeling?

colesc15

Just because a person is heavy doesn't mean they are not physically able to climb a boat ladder.

Ever hear of Tryon Smith, Travis Frederick and Zack Martin? Pretty sure they could handle the ladder. The snorkel vest might be tight since those three average 6'-4" and 312 lbs.

:eek: :D

Oops, someone hit a way too close to home nerve..

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Are you aware of how many professional football players weigh over 280 pounds. Would you ask them if they can climb a ladder? Muscle weighs more than fat. Height is another factor. Many basketball centers weigh 280 because of how tall they are and how much muscle they have.

Weight alone does not tell you what shape someone is in.

Thanks for your post. If you had taken the time to read a bit further, you'd see that I'm well aware that weight, in and of itself, is not an issue, which is why I asked four separate questions. Yes, of course there are people who weigh more than 250 lbs who are in excellent shape, but the vast majority of cruise passengers weighing over 250 lbs don't fit the mold of professional athletes.

My husband wants to dive in Bonaire and the dive excursion has an age limit of 65. He will be 68 years old, but works out every day, ran for 33 years, but had to stop because of a knee problem, dives on every cruise and has been on three live aboard dive boats for a week. He has over 100 dives. He is 6'3" and weighs 170.

This restriction is due to insurance, also. Bonaire must put some restrictions on snorkelers and divers that other countries don't.

He wants to stay with a cruise excursion for diving. He could probably dive privately, but does not want to.

Thanks for your post. If you had taken the time to read a bit further, you'd see that I'm well aware that weight, in and of itself, is not an issue, which is why I asked four separate questions. Yes, of course there are people who weigh more than 250 lbs who are in excellent shape, but the vast majority of cruise passengers weighing over 250 lbs don't fit the mold of professional athletes.

You have no idea who you were talking about, yet you based your question solely on the person's weight. Then you suggested that the person lie about their weight, even though you don't know the reason for the weight limit.

I read further and I found your posts to be objectionable.

First and foremost, it's the life jackets. In most cases, persons on cruise line sponsored excursions are required to wear manually inflated life jackets. The jackets are not USCG approved because they do not have the automatic inflators. Most likely, the cruise line and the insurer set the weight limit at 250 as a safety precaution.

Second, and this is just a maybe, the boats they use might have a max weight capacity. In order to ensure a full excursion, they might have to make this limit as to not exceed the max capacity of the boat, making it unstable.

Third, lets face it. Cruises aren't typically full of NFL linebackers. I think it's safe to say the average cruiser who exceeds 250 pounds is not in the best of shape. I was USCG and Sheriff's Office Marine Unit in the Keys and the majority of diving/snorkeling deaths I saw were weight/conditioning related. Sorry...I'm not trying to be insensitive. It's just a fact.

This is the best explanation in this whole thread. Considering your background, I tend to believe it.

I think some people may be trying to convince themselves that 270 pounds isn't a lot, but it is, even at 6'2". I know over 30 people, all current professional athletes, all between 6'2-6'6", including several linebackers, and none of them weigh 270 pounds. I had a friend who was not an athlete who was 6'6" and at his heaviest, when he stopped working out and got a bit chubby, was 245. I realize there are exceptions, but I think a reality check is in order of what being "in shape" really is.

That being said, the weight limit, whether heavier people want to admit it or not, is a safety issue. Not only does the equipment and vehicles have a weight limit, but the ability to save a person in an emergency can also be made difficult when a person is severely overweight. It becomes much harder to save a person in water, help lift them into a boat etc, and physical activity on a larger person can put a lot of stress on a person's heart, leading to risk of heart attacks and the need to provide emergency services.

I understand your husband may be in good shape and running every day, but unless he's running at least a 10 minute mile, (with legs as long as his), then he's really not running very fast and wouldn't constitute a healthy heart or lungs per se. I know people who claim they "run," but are only going 4.5 miles an hour, which is a speed walking pace. Being in shape I guess is relative, but when insurance and safety is involved, I think it's probably wise to be realistic about why those limits are in place.

Are you aware of how many professional football players weigh over 280 pounds. Would you ask them if they can climb a ladder? Muscle weighs more than fat. Height is another factor. Many basketball centers weigh 280 because of how tall they are and how much muscle they have.

I am. I am related to a few, and work with a ton of them. And the majority of the ones who are that large, are not in great shape. Centers, offensive lineman etc, sure, they're pretty heavy, but they aren't in good shape either. Sorry.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

Lol- in response to the person who said that excursions enforce weight limits... I used to be twice the size I am now and NEVER was I weighed before an excursion! And I did lots of weight restricted things like horseback riding... granted, I was never more than 5 lbs over their max weight, but I was never weighed in by an excursion, nor questioned about my weight (and believe me, I looked my weight :))

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

5 pounds is a helluva lot different than being 30 pounds over the restriction. That's is the distinction. Or I dunno, you could just obey the restriction as stated instead of trying to justify why you should not be held to it.

My husband has been weighed on one or two of his shore excursions. So it does happen

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Muscle does NOT weigh more than fat!!

ONE pound of muscle weighs ...... ONE POUND!

ONE pound of fat weighs ...... ONE POUND!!

A pound of muscle takes up much less room on your body than a pound of fat, but they both weigh the same!

Think of it as a pound of muscle is a bag of unpopped popcorn kernels, and a pound of fat is that same one pound bag of corn all popped! Which bag would you rather have on your backside?

Public service message from a former Weight Watchers Leader!

A pound of muscle takes up much less room on your body than a pound of fat, but they both weigh the same!

Think of it as a pound of muscle is a bag of unpopped popcorn kernels, and a pound of fat is that same one pound bag of corn all popped! Which bag would you rather have on your backside?

You know PERFECTLY well that what you said is what everyone means when they say it. It's just the short and easy way to say it. I truly hope you weren't that reactive when you were a WW leader.

There are a LOT of fat-phobic people on this thread and it's making me ill. I certainly hope you don't have any loved ones who carry extra weight, because if you do you're probably hurting them with any comments you might have for them.

You know PERFECTLY well that what you said is what everyone means when they say it. It's just the short and easy way to say it. I truly hope you weren't that reactive when you were a WW leader.

There are a LOT of fat-phobic people on this thread and it's making me ill. I certainly hope you don't have any loved ones who carry extra weight, because if you do you're probably hurting them with any comments you might have for them.

Fat phobic?! Pretty damn hypocritical of me considering I am about 30 pounds overweight and the spook is closer to 50. (Ever hear if the freshman 15? Yeah try the retirement 30)

Nobody here is fat shaming anybody. What they ARE doing is giving valid reasons why a weight restriction could be in place and suggesting that someone who is over that restriction by 30 pounds should probably think twice about lying or otherwise attempting to ignore the restriction.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well this escalated quickly.. Lol. The only reason I questioned the limit is because I'm also about 20 lbs over the limit but I'm tall and run 2-3 miles every day so it's not like I'm concerned about the activity. Yes, I'm not where my weight should be but I'm no where near not capable of any activity either. Looking at me, I'm a big guy but by no means close to the typical way over weight person you see in a wheel chair; those don't go well on a treadmill daily 😂

My husband wants to dive in Bonaire and the dive excursion has an age limit of 65. He will be 68 years old, but works out every day, ran for 33 years, but had to stop because of a knee problem, dives on every cruise and has been on three live aboard dive boats for a week. He has over 100 dives. He is 6'3" and weighs 170.

This restriction is due to insurance, also. Bonaire must put some restrictions on snorkelers and divers that other countries don't.

He wants to stay with a cruise excursion for diving. He could probably dive privately, but does not want to.

I'm guessing this is a royal excursion? If so, go private. As a diver and marathoner approaching 60, so I know what you mean. I will reiterate what I said earlier in this thread. The AGE/WEIGHT/HEIGHT restrictions listed on Royal's pages seem to be imposed by corporate and not the excursion operators. While I love Royal, their excursion group is lamer than the IT Department. I've seen them cancel excursions or stop working with individual operators and they will always site "customer safety" When its more about the bottom line $ than anything.

I've found the private dives far superior to Royals, I'd have him reconsider.

Edited by BillOh

I'm guessing this is a royal excursion? If so, go private. As a diver and marathoner approaching 60, so I know what you mean. I will reiterate what I said earlier in this thread. The AGE/WEIGHT/HEIGHT restrictions listed on Royal's pages seem to be imposed by corporate and not the excursion operators. While I love Royal, their excursion group is lamer than the IT Department. I've seen them cancel excursions or stop working with individual operators and they will always site "customer safety" When its more about the bottom line $ than anything.

I've found the private dives far superior to Royals, I'd have him reconsider.

I've contacted h2o vision because I'd rather do a dive not through Royal but have not heard much about h2o. Woodwind was fully booked unfortunately.

Which weighs more? A ton of bricks or a ton of feathers?

A pound is a pound is a pound.

Spookwife- ugh, that is the first time I've ever heard of them actually weighing people! Glad I never had to do that! Which excursion was it?

Both in Jamaica...I saw them weighing people for the zip-line excursion and the horseback riding excursion. On the horseback excursion, I saw them deny a man for being overweight.

Spookwife- ugh, that is the first time I've ever heard of them actually weighing people! Glad I never had to do that! Which excursion was it?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

zipline tours. IIRC I also saw Segway tour hopefuls being weighed in and every single helicopter tour I looked into were very explicit about you WILL be weighed no matter what.

again purely a safety issue WRT equipment and has nothing to do with fat shaming or being discriminatory.

I am. I am related to a few, and work with a ton of them. And the majority of the ones who are that large, are not in great shape. Centers, offensive lineman etc, sure, they're pretty heavy, but they aren't in good shape either. Sorry.

Yet they can still climb a ladder.

You have to take height into consideration, as well as muscle mass. NBA centers and body builders weigh over 250 and they are in great shape. You cannot tell what shape someone is in just by there weight.

How about a five foot tall 225 pounder. Is that person in great shape?

Nobody, including you, can tell what shape anyone is in based solely on their weight. Sorry.

Edited by Cuizer2

One cubic foot of muscle weighs a lot more than one cubic foot of fat.