Weight limit for snorkeling?

colesc15

I posted this on the port of call board but didn't get much so I'm just keeping it general now..

Recently booked snorkeling In Bonaire with royal Caribbean and noticed there is a weight limit of 250 lbs that we had to acknowledge. I have a member in my party who is about 280 who wants to join. Would he able to? Not sure why the restriction is in place. I emailed the company and they said no due to insurance but I'm guessing that's because they have to being contracted by Royal. Thoughts??

I posted this on the port of call board but didn't get much so I'm just keeping it general now..

Recently booked snorkeling In Bonaire with royal Caribbean and noticed there is a weight limit of 250 lbs that we had to acknowledge. I have a member in my party who is about 280 who wants to join. Would he able to? Not sure why the restriction is in place. I emailed the company and they said no due to insurance but I'm guessing that's because they have to being contracted by Royal. Thoughts??

The best snorkeling we've experienced in Bonaire is with Woodwind, which is not a cruise ship excursion. I'd check with them:

https://www.woodwindbonaire.com/

At the risk of being indelicate, is the member of your party that weighs 280 lbs in good physical shape and a good swimmer? Would he be able to climb the boat's ladder to reboard? Would he fit in a snorkel vest, a requirement for many snorkel tour providers? Even if it wasn't an insurance issue, it is understandable why, from a safety perspective, the Sea Cow might choose not to allow him to participate.

On the positive side, you could all take the water taxi to Klein Bonaire and snorkel on your own: http://www.watertaxikleinbonaire.com. This would mean bringing your own gear, but provides an excellent alternative.

At the risk of being indelicate, is the member of your party that weighs 280 lbs in good physical shape and a good swimmer? Would he be able to climb the boat's ladder to reboard? Would he fit in a snorkel vest, a requirement for many snorkel tour providers? Even if it wasn't an insurance issue, it is understandable why, from a safety perspective, the Sea Cow might choose not to allow him to participate.

On the positive side, you could all take the water taxi to Klein Bonaire and snorkel on your own: http://www.watertaxikleinbonaire.com. This would mean bringing your own gear, but provides an excellent alternative.

I would say yes. He typically runs a few miles a day, just a bigger guy and being 6'2 helps add to the weight. Lol.

Just because a person is heavy doesn't mean they are not physically able to climb a boat ladder.

Ever hear of Tryon Smith, Travis Frederick and Zack Martin? Pretty sure they could handle the ladder. The snorkel vest might be tight since those three average 6'-4" and 312 lbs.

:eek: :D

I would say yes. He typically runs a few miles a day, just a bigger guy and being 6'2 helps add to the weight. Lol.

Well, in that case it shouldn't be a safety issue at all. As they don't have scales to weigh the passengers, maybe he simply says he's 250 lbs. If he's tall and in good shape, he'd probably get away with it. In any event, I wish you all good luck, as Klein Bonaire is one of my favourite dive/snorkel sites.

Edited by Fouremco

Just because a person is heavy doesn't mean they are not physically able to climb a boat ladder.

Ever hear of Tryon Smith, Travis Frederick and Zack Martin? Pretty sure they could handle the ladder. The snorkel vest might be tight since those three average 6'-4" and 312 lbs.

I totally agree, which is why I posed the multiple questions. :)

Thank you.

And even bigger people can be perfectly able to do all sorts of physical activity.

We chose to not go into st Lucia because all the ship excursions that sounded interesting had weight limits. I finally got that they all involved shuttle buses, and the buses are small. So it wasn't an issue of what was at the end, but how to get there and back.

DS and I had realized the shuttle issue doing Bernard's tour in March, when DH had a migraine and stayed on the ship. Those vans are small.

We also got special permission from a captain of another independent excursion elsewhere on a sailboat with a weight limit. They had one activity that had a true limit but DH wasn't going to be doing that. And they needed to make sure he could climb in and out. Not an issue. We didn't end up doing that excursion but it's in mind or next time!

First and foremost, it's the life jackets. In most cases, persons on cruise line sponsored excursions are required to wear manually inflated life jackets. The jackets are not USCG approved because they do not have the automatic inflators. Most likely, the cruise line and the insurer set the weight limit at 250 as a safety precaution.

Second, and this is just a maybe, the boats they use might have a max weight capacity. In order to ensure a full excursion, they might have to make this limit as to not exceed the max capacity of the boat, making it unstable.

Third, lets face it. Cruises aren't typically full of NFL linebackers. I think it's safe to say the average cruiser who exceeds 250 pounds is not in the best of shape. I was USCG and Sheriff's Office Marine Unit in the Keys and the majority of diving/snorkeling deaths I saw were weight/conditioning related. Sorry...I'm not trying to be insensitive. It's just a fact.

Some of Royals age/weight restrictions are pure BS and the tour operators have no idea Royal is imposing them. Now it a boat tour they limit the weight of all the passengers total. I think in this case I would look for a private excursion. The one Bob mentioned gets great reviews and I know from experience they answer questions via email.

Thank you.

And even bigger people can be perfectly able to do all sorts of physical activity.

We chose to not go into st Lucia because all the ship excursions that sounded interesting had weight limits. I finally got that they all involved shuttle buses, and the buses are small. So it wasn't an issue of what was at the end, but how to get there and back.

DS and I had realized the shuttle issue doing Bernard's tour in March, when DH had a migraine and stayed on the ship. Those vans are small.

We also got special permission from a captain of another independent excursion elsewhere on a sailboat with a weight limit. They had one activity that had a true limit but DH wasn't going to be doing that. And they needed to make sure he could climb in and out. Not an issue. We didn't end up doing that excursion but it's in mind or next time!

We had a over-sized (to me) gentleman on our RC Excursion on both St Lucia and Barbados (we thought they were following us around).

He took the single seat in the front. It might have been a issue if he sat in the back. The tour driver recognized his size and asked him to sit in the front. So if there was two very large people, it could have been an issue. On the third island tour, it was a larger bus instead of small vans and he and his wife were stuck together in two side seats like everyone else.

He is so close to the cutoff, just list his weight at 250 and enjoy the trip. I weigh 270 and I bring my own snorkel gear, including a vest, so no problem with that. I'd suggest bringing your own gear and use the tour's fins since they weigh a lot to travel, and you're paying for it anyway.

He is so close to the cutoff, just list his weight at 250 and enjoy the trip. I weigh 270 and I bring my own snorkel gear, including a vest, so no problem with that. I'd suggest bringing your own gear and use the tour's fins since they weigh a lot to travel, and you're paying for it anyway.

I do not consider 30 pounds to be 'close'. At the end the f the the the OPs friend must choose to abide by stated policy, or run the risk of being embarrassed in front of the rest of the tour group by being told they cannot participate

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I do not consider 30 pounds to be 'close'. At the end the f the the the OPs friend must choose to abide by stated policy, or run the risk of being embarrassed in front of the rest of the tour group by being told they cannot participate

That is making the assumption the tour operator even has a clue the limit is being imposed. They had the same 250lb weight limit on the parasailing excursion on Royals website. The tour operator there had no idea. The operator had a 500lb limit per flight. If they had two people who would go over that limit they would do one of them one at a time. There would have been on embarassment of the person there. I was unable to book a power boat rental at Grand Caymen once because Royal's 50 year age limit. The cruise planner knows your age and won't let you book. I did have a roll call member who was on that excursion and they confirmed the tour operator had no idea where that came from.

Edited by BillOh

Maybe so, but I bet this weight limit is due to it being a boat excursion. That will be hard and fast unless everyone else on the excursion is well below the average weight so the total weight of everyone plus equipment is within parameters . And if there are no life jackets that are rated for over 250, that's another issue.

All of my snorkel tours over the past ten years have been on three story Catamarans, where one client being 30 lbs overweight isn't an issue. I've never seen ANYONE weighed on these tours, and I'm sure some were well over 250 lbs.

Why don't you stop being a jerk towards an over "your idea" of heavy person and be encouraging....

Edited by Johnamac123

Lol- in response to the person who said that excursions enforce weight limits... I used to be twice the size I am now and NEVER was I weighed before an excursion! And I did lots of weight restricted things like horseback riding... granted, I was never more than 5 lbs over their max weight, but I was never weighed in by an excursion, nor questioned about my weight (and believe me, I looked my weight :))

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We had a over-sized (to me) gentleman on our RC Excursion on both St Lucia and Barbados (we thought they were following us around).

He took the single seat in the front. It might have been a issue if he sat in the back. The tour driver recognized his size and asked him to sit in the front. So if there was two very large people, it could have been an issue. On the third island tour, it was a larger bus instead of small vans and he and his wife were stuck together in two side seats like everyone else.

Hadn't thought about having him sit in the front.

But I overheard someone booking at the desk on our cruise and the employee asked if anyone was over x weight, so it's best we didn't do it.

We hit 3/5 stops (rained all day in Barbados so we stayed on the ship and I sulked LOL) so that was pretty good. Our Antigua excursion was good enough for the whole cruise! :)

Are you aware of how many professional football players weigh over 280 pounds. Would you ask them if they can climb a ladder? Muscle weighs more than fat. Height is another factor. Many basketball centers weigh 280 because of how tall they are and how much muscle they have.

Weight alone does not tell you what shape someone is in.