Explorer for New Year cruise

PaulaJK

OK For the record. We had a pre arranged dins in CR tonight. I had the very best lobster ravioli that I have ever had in my life along with the steak tartare. I am inclinclined to agree that Chartreuse is our least favourite but my goodness they do try hard.we miss Signatures and Eric. We have no complaints re: Sette Mare or Prime 7 or Pacific rim and have found the service impeccable along with staff more than willing to engage in conversation. I sometimes read some comments and wonder if we are on the same ship. We do agree that sometimes there is not enough staff in the Lounges but find it is quickly rectified when noticed. For those who are concerned Franck is going back to the Mariner in LA after the big wigs and ta's have their two days of fun😎😎

Thundery, thanks for the update regarding Franck. I believe that Michael Coughlin ((spelling) will be the next G.M.

purpleally, I'm not sure the exact date that John leaves but it could well be in L.A. because he returns too the Explorer in March.

thundery, thanks for the update regarding franck. I believe that michael coughlin ((spelling) will be the next g.m.

Purpleally, i'm not sure the exact date that john leaves but it could well be in l.a. Because he returns too the explorer in march.

😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😕😕😕😕😕😕

Just off the Navigator this morning and was a bit surprised that DVD players were not included with the latest suite refurbs. Had to ask for a separate unit to connect to the flatscreen. As we are boarding the Explorer in March, can anyone currently onboard advise as to whether the suites have DVD players? Would have though they'd be integrated into the flatscreens. We usually bring a few favorite movies to enjoy on sea days even though there's a fairly wide selection of on-demand available.

Just off the Navigator this morning and was a bit surprised that DVD players were not included with the latest suite refurbs. Had to ask for a separate unit to connect to the flatscreen. As we are boarding the Explorer in March, can anyone currently onboard advise as to whether the suites have DVD players? Would have though they'd be integrated into the flatscreens. We usually bring a few favorite movies to enjoy on sea days even though there's a fairly wide selection of on-demand available.

Not in the two suites we have had. Conseige and penthouse. Lots of movies available on the tv

Not in the two suites we have had. Conseige and penthouse. Lots of movies available on the tv

Thanks for your quick reply. If you are still onboard......or anyone else currently onboard....can you inquire at Reception as to whether there are any DVD players available for use in the suites? If not, we will not bother to bring any of our own movie selections.

Thank you.

Transitions happen all the time - even on the Explorer. In our four Explorer cruises, we've had two different G.M.'s, Restaurant Managers, Cruise Directors and F&B Directors. The only thing that was the same was the Executive Chef. Everyone has their own preferences in terms of officers and crew but we enjoy them all. IMO, the most important parts of the Explorer are: 1) The amazing food; 2) the suites (with a couple of exceptions); and 3) the ship itself - a bit over the top for some but it is undeniably comfortable and different than other Regent ships.

Just enjoy yourselves and don't worry about a thing!

Last night's departure from Porto Quetzal was delightful. We sat out on our verandah and sipped mojitos, with pleasant breezes wafting. Thundery told me they ate dinner on their verandah, with dishes from different restaurants.. A wonderful experience that too few passengers try.

We are in whitecapped seas now on the way to Acapulco. The captain altered our course to avoid up to 35-foot seas fueled by 50 mph winds (something he said Explorer has never experienced). We have 15-20 foot seas now and the ship is handling them extremely well.

Last night's departure from Porto Quetzal was delightful. We sat out on our verandah and sipped mojitos, with pleasant breezes wafting. Thundery told me they ate dinner on their verandah, with dishes from different restaurants.. A wonderful experience that too few passengers try.

We are in whitecapped seas now on the way to Acapulco. The captain altered our course to avoid up to 35-foot seas fueled by 50 mph winds (something he said Explorer has never experienced). We have 15-20 foot seas now and the ship is handling them extremely well.

Can you tell us the "mood" regarding Acapulco? We are on the next cruise and there seems to be a lot of nervousness about violence. Please let us know if many people stay onboard

Transitions happen all the time - even on the Explorer. In our four Explorer cruises, we've had two different G.M.'s, Restaurant Managers, Cruise Directors and F&B Directors. The only thing that was the same was the Executive Chef. Everyone has their own preferences in terms of officers and crew but we enjoy them all. IMO, the most important parts of the Explorer are: 1) The amazing food; 2) the suites (with a couple of exceptions); and 3) the ship itself - a bit over the top for some but it is undeniably comfortable and different than other Regent ships.

Just enjoy yourselves and don't worry about a thing!

I think the food is important but I think staff is equally important. Sailed on Seabourn in November and there were so many "newbies" it affected the cruise. Still had a good time and I rolled with it. At times it was like watching live theatre. We found a handful of excellent staff and tried to stick with them

As I stated before I convinced our Seabourn only cruising friends to try out Regent and I don't want to disappoint

Can you tell us the "mood" regarding Acapulco? We are on the next cruise and there seems to be a lot of nervousness about violence. Please let us know if many people stay onboard

Well we are NOT getting off. Cancelled our tour. Heard others say the same thing others that are going say whatever it isn't safe any where. Tomorrow will be interesting. Stay tuned

BTW altho a lot of staff are getting off. They are being replaced by equally qualified staff. I wouldn't worry about the changeover. It happens all the time and we zurvive

Today was interesting enough...gale force winds ..water pouring out of pool and cushions flying..staff running all over...pool deck was closed for safety and we were asked not to go on open decks. Capt altered course. Seas clearly cAlming

Now and a quiet evening anticipated.

Sounds a bit like the weather we encountered a couple of times on the Explorer on the transatlantic cruise. IMO, although the ship takes the rough seas and winds fairly well, it is quite an experience to be all the way forward on deck 12. At times it was hard to stand. Glad to hear that the seas will be calming down.

Looking forward to hearing from the people that go ashore in Acapulco (we would likely go ashore but would be careful which excursion we choose).

Hi Travelcat, thanks so much for all your postings, they have been very helpful. We are first time Regent guests, We will be on the Explorer Feb 14. We are in cabin 1210 and reading your post above are a bit concerned. Was this a bad choice of cabin due to movement of the ship? We look forward to your reply. Thanks in advance.

Hi Travelcat, thanks so much for all your postings, they have been very helpful. We are first time Regent guests, We will be on the Explorer Feb 14. We are in cabin 1210 and reading your post above are a bit concerned. Was this a bad choice of cabin due to movement of the ship? We look forward to your reply. Thanks in advance.

Hi - I wouldn't be concerned about 1210 - we were in 1200 which is a lovely suite in a not so lovely location. Being so far forward you feel the "motion of the ocean" sideways as well as forward and back. Although you feel the motion less on lower decks, the motion on deck 12 should not be bad (except in rough seas in probably 1200 - 1203 - after than it starts to level out).

We have sailed the Explorer in in the Mediterranean for 4 weeks and it was fine -- you could really not feel any motion. It was only when we went transatlantic that we had the rough seas (only for 2 days).

If you are prone to seasickness, I would recommend taking a 1/4 to 1/2 of a Bonine (or other seasickness remedy) before the seas become rough (the captain lets you know every day at noon how the seas will be that night and in the morning. ) Taking such a low dose should not make you tired. Then, should the seas become more choppy, you can take another 1/4 or 1/2. By doing this, we have not been seasick on a Regent ship for several years (even crossed the Bering Sea which is known to be rough).

Enjoy every moment of your Explorer cruise (we'll be back onboard the ship in March and can't wait).:)

Interested to read mention of people placing special orders requesting particular dishes e.g. Sweetbreads. Not to hijack the thread, but has any one ever requested something that turned out to be really outstanding?

Indian food - they have the spices onboard due to the large number of crew members from India. They do a decent job of preparing Greek dishes but, IMO, fail at Hispanic food. They also do well at Filipino food. In terms of Asian food, they tend to do "Asian Fusion" which is not our favorite. We prefer dishes specific to a region (i.e. Thai, Chinese, Japanese, etc.)

What we really enjoy ordering are dishes that appear on Compass Rose's menu once per cruise - for instance, miso-glazed sea bass. It takes two days to marinate the sea bass but, IMO, it is worth waiting for. We have also special ordered Beef Wellington and Chateaubriand.

In general, if you speak with the Dining Room Manager, you can pre-order dishes 24 hours in advance (except for the sea bass mentioned above).

Hope that this information helps!

Thanks TC2, very helpful. Agree with you on the Asian fusion, I prefer original and authentic. We are big fans of Indian food so will be in heaven and as for beef Wellington, now I'm excited. Best start the diet now.....[/QUObTE]

We ordered the mussels fabulous in a tomato sauce and the lobster ravioli. Best I have ever had. Having it again tomorrow night inC R like I really after 50++ days need more cream sauces