Explorer for New Year cruise

PaulaJK

Sitting in the Library at 7AM; computer hookup was great. Shout to Regent for fabulous New Years - our best ever per DW.

DW, the carnivore loved the veal and lamb in P7, CR, Pacific Rim and Setti Mari BUT thought that it was poor in Chartreuse.

Love almost everything about the F cabins; could use more US outlets - will bring adapters on next cruise. Cabin 609 was a great choice for us. Very convenient to stairs and elevator but very little traffic past it and NO noise or vibration.

Made a complaint last night to head of Setti Mari as 2 men arrived and were seated wearing jeans that looked like what I garden in. DW is in favor of designer jeans for women but understand the rules are rules. She's on the warpath!

This ship is everything good that has been written about it. I forgot to measure the bed but it ia as big as our big bed at home and as expected super comfy.

Yes, we all have different likes and dislikes.....plus the items vary a bit. For example, while my Caesar salad was drowned in dressing, my husband's was perfectly dressed.

I can well understand someone's loving Pacific Rim as the tuna tartare was just superb and all of the delivery very stylish. It is as far away from our local Asian restaurant as you can get!

It is nice to be at sea again as the canal's humidity was marked.

DeepFreeze63,

You mentioned that

"Cabin 609 was a great choice for us. Very convenient to stairs and elevator but very little traffic past it and NO noise or vibration."

Can you please talk a bit about your balcony? What kind of furniture is on it - chairs or loungers?

Thanks!!!

Sitting in the Library at 7AM; computer hookup was great. Shout to Regent for fabulous New Years - our best ever per DW.

DW, the carnivore loved the veal and lamb in P7, CR, Pacific Rim and Setti Mari BUT thought that it was poor in Chartreuse.

Love almost everything about the F cabins; could use more US outlets - will bring adapters on next cruise. Cabin 609 was a great choice for us. Very convenient to stairs and elevator but very little traffic past it and NO noise or vibration.

Made a complaint last night to head of Setti Mari as 2 men arrived and were seated wearing jeans that looked like what I garden in. DW is in favor of designer jeans for women but understand the rules are rules. She's on the warpath!

This ship is everything good that has been written about it. I forgot to measure the bed but it ia as big as our big bed at home and as expected super comfy.

They are probably the same 2 jokers who tried to get in to Compass Rose in shorts the first night. Daniela was all over them. They said they would go to one of the othe restaurants, and her answer was. " not going to happen, you know I will find you" so the agreed to change. I find they are a bit slack on the dress code. I know they hate confrontation but I agree the rule are the rule

DeepFreeze63,

You mentioned that

"Cabin 609 was a great choice for us. Very convenient to stairs and elevator but very little traffic past it and NO noise or vibration."

Can you please talk a bit about your balcony? What kind of furniture is on it - chairs or loungers?

Thanks!!!

Cabin 609 (Concierge) has an expanded balcony - super, almost too wide. Has 2 rattan, reclining chairs, 1 recliner, and a very nice table. All (except table)are cushioned, sturdy and very comfortable. Spent a lot of time on it during the canal passage.

Were the guys wearing jeans sent back to change? Don't understand why some people can't read or chose not to pay attention to a clearly outlined policy. But when they get older, they will probably be the same ones who can't walk 20 feet without difficulty but sign up for a strenuous tour then complain that it is strenuous.

Too bad about the bees. Obviously you can't have them setting up housekeeping on a cruise ship though.

Daniela is a gem....constantly on the go.

Kudos to the various management personnel who seem omnipresent as well as willing to do hands on work.

Crew is very hard working and very sweet although they are a bit overwhelmed in CR at dinner. The food is excellent there and it is very popular, filled to the brim last night again

Can't help wondering if Daniela is getting off in LA or hopefully will remain on. I know she certainly deserves a vacation by now but we get on in LA and would love to see her. Has anyone heard her mention vacation time?

Although I do not know Daniela's exact schedule, she will be re-boarding the Explorer on March 26th. If she has two months off, she may very well be on your cruise. I cannot agree more that Daniela is a star!

Can't help wondering if Daniela is getting off in LA or hopefully will remain on. I know she certainly deserves a vacation by now but we get on in LA and would love to see her. Has anyone heard her mention vacation time?

FYI. Daniela is getting off in LA

FYI. Daniela is getting off in LA

Damn. That's when we get on. Who else will we be missing? I hope that the best of the best is not going on vacation and we are getting second hand. I am introducing Regent to friends who only know Seabourn and hope I haven't made promises that cannot be kept

Thanks for the info about Daniela. I was afraid of that. We were with her on the Mariner during her first contract as F&B manager and she had no time to even catch her breath. We remember her from way back when she would find the prefect wine for you.

I am wondering if they will have a complete changeover of top management in L A ?

Thanks for the info about Daniela. I was afraid of that. We were with her on the Mariner during her first contract as F&B manager and she had no time to even catch her breath. We remember her from way back when she would find the prefect wine for you.

I am wondering if they will have a complete changeover of top management in L A ?

Do t think so. Frank just got on so he will be here

Do t think so. Frank just got on so he will be here

I am hesitantly excited about the news. I heard that Franck would be doing a short stint on the Explorer before returning to the Mariner which is great for those passengers currently onboard and for the next cruise. Perhaps Regent wants him there for the events occurring in L.A. (T.A. visits, etc.) Wish that he would stay on through March when we cruise but that is unlikely.

How is the weather in Costa Rica?

Hot and humid. No rain (at least on us).

We are generally enjoying the ship, food, and crew (though the passenger who is using a selfie stick everywhere, even at dinnner, is on thin ice) but some random nickel and dime cost-cutting is nothing short of bizarre for a luxury cruise line.

For example, California olives from a can in Settl Mare instead of Italian or Calamata olives? No lime served with fresh papaya or crab (you have to request it and wait ten minutes for it to be retrieved from the bar)? Same with blueberries. "Rye bread" that is as far from a good Jewish rye as you can get? No salted butter? Balsamic vinegar is ok but way overdone; why no red wine vinegar as well for salads?

So far our favorite restaurants are Prime 7 and Pacific Rim. We like Compass Rose a lot but only in one of the much quieter back rooms; wish they would dim the lights, but older guests apparently complained that they couldn't read their menus.

Setti Mare was wonderful on the patio but the Cioppini lacked flavor though the seafood in it was high quality and perfectly cooked. Must be the fish stock or lack of it because the Manhattan clam chowder at lunch suffered from the same deficiency.

We are giving Chartreuse another go tonight. Loved the steak tartare and sauteed foie gras there but found several dishes more avant-garde garde than delicious (see the deconstructed French Onion Soup, apparently a la Ionesco).

A highlight was our request made to Vladimir for a special order of crispy sweetbreads: perfectly delicious!

JPR - very interesting observations!

Have you eaten at P7 or Chartreuse for lunch? We really enjoyed both venues. Sorry that you didn't enjoy Chartreuse's version of French Onion soup. Must admit that it is "different" but we enjoyed the lack of cheese (high calories).

Happy to hear that Vladimir provided you with a great meal. We are crossing our fingers that he will still be onboard in March.

Based on your "soup" comments, I can't help but wonder if it is the same "soup person" that is onboard now that was onboard in November. IMO, his soups were amazing.

Had to laugh about your comment about rye bread. There is no "real" rye bread in Washington. So, for New Year's, we ordered rye bread (amongst other things) from Katz's Deli in NYC for New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. Unfortunately, it did not match up to Brent's in the San Fernando Valley. Still, we had some great food from New York.

Looking forward to more posts!

Edited by Travelcat2

First, spellcheck did me in on Sette Mari.

Yes, we had lunch in both Chartreuse and Prime 7. Both very pleasant lunch venues, though that's where I had the clam chowder and onion soup, respectively. Chartreuse had a bit too much A/C. Loved the fresh crab salad at Prime 7.

Oh, and we won Liar's Club, worth a whopping 40 Regent points. I can now buy enough bookmarks to give to all of my clients next Christmas!

First, spellcheck did me in on Sette Mari.

Yes, we had lunch in both Chartreuse and Prime 7. Both very pleasant lunch venues, though that's where I had the clam chowder and onion soup, respectively. Chartreuse had a bit too much A/C. Loved the fresh crab salad at Prime 7.

Oh, and we won Liar's Club, worth a whopping 40 Regent points. I can now buy enough bookmarks to give to all of my clients next Christmas!

Wow - what an amazingly fast response! Congratulations on winning Liar's Club!!!:D We do quite badly as Liar's Club (better at Trivia). I wonder if our poor performance has to do with how much alcohol has been injested:confused:

P.S. How is the weather?

Edited by Travelcat2

Wow - what an amazingly fast response! Congratulations on winning Liar's Club!!!:D We do quite badly as Liar's Club (better at Trivia). I wonder if our poor performance has to do with how much alcohol has been injested:confused:

P.S. How is the weather?

We were the other winners on the same night. There were 36 teams and two teams were tied. 40 points plus a Regent travel mug.