Explorer for New Year cruise

PaulaJK

Hope that all of you enjoy the last days of your amazing cruise on the "Most Luxurious Ship Ever Built". IMO, it isn't just the ship (which admittedly is the best ship we have ever cruised on) but the amazing crew members, the food, the service...... everything about the experience, IMO, is the best there is.

See, you even admit it's the "amazing crew members" which it sounds like, are leaving in LA. And I'm very sorry to not see John's show after hearing the rave reviews!

See, you even admit it's the "amazing crew members" which it sounds like, are leaving in LA. And I'm very sorry to not see John's show after hearing the rave reviews!

Yes - the crew was great but I predict that it will also be great on your cruise. Some of my long time favorite crew members have not yet worked on the Explorer and could show up in Los Angeles.

In terms of John Barron, for better or worse, he has set a standard for Regent that I do not believe other CD's can meet. However, from what we discussed, he is not assigned to the Explorer - even though he is returning there in March. After that contract he will likely be on another Regent ship. I think that many of us will be hoping that he will be on one of our cruises. Hope that you sail with him in the near future.

As mentioned previously, when we were on the Explorer in July, we had a different CD (Ray Solaire) and different GM (Franck Galzy). Restaurant Managers, IMO, are important and Vladimir (will still be onboard for a while) is the best that Regent has. Almost all officers and crew aboard Regent ships are amazing.

Really looking forward to reading about the cruise from L.A. to Miami - hope that you and others find the time the post. There is something about the Explorer that gets people so involved that they forget to post:)

P.S. Just wanted to add that we were not happy that Franck Galzy would no longer be on the Explorer on our B2B cruises in Nov./Dec. It ended up being just fine (Massimo was our G.M.). Hopefully your cruise will be as lovely as ours was.

Edited by Travelcat2

Not certain I read previous note correctly but Franck is on Explorer currently...also, I understand, among those leaving in LA. There are lots of hand-over meetings in progress.

My one negative area is entertainment. For us it has been week in the lounges except when the excellent orchestra plays...and many of the shows have been quite disappointing...including the fact that they represented a show already seen on this cruise.

A bit rocky and quite windy today on our way to San Diego. One really does get spoiled by warm,sunny days.

Agree about the entertainment - the one area that I did not review in my "formal" review. Did you see John Barron's show? We did enjoy Nature's Rhythm - they were playing in the Explorer Lounge when we were onboard.

In terms of Franck Galzy, it is a bit confusing. He has been all over the place recently - on the Explorer then on vacation - now on the Explorer (as you indicated, he should be leaving after the TA events in Los Angeles) and then he goes to the Mariner. Don't count on what I'm posting for the future to be 100% correct as it could have changed since the last time we were onboard (December 2nd). Franck is now the most senior General Manager and he seems to be needed in many places (hard to believe that we met him when he was F&B Manager).

Paula, would you book the Explorer again? Just curious. We became so accustomed to the ship during our three cruises (38 nights) that we wish that all of our Regent cruises could be on that ship. Sadly, her itineraries do not coincide with where we want to go.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise!

Edited by Travelcat2

We would like to believe that Regent has more "amazing crew members" than just what they have on the Explorer now, and that any and all new crew will be fresh, ready and equally "amazing".

Agree! That is what I said in post #104 however, John Barron is unique and a difficult act to follow (still love 💘 Paul Reynolds - his style is different but he is also quite amazing).

The Explorer's dining experiences are different than the other ships due to specialty restaurants being open at lunch plus they have Pacific Rim. OTOH, the Navigator has only one specialty restaurant so it is also unique.

Whether passengers like the regular suites and balconies more on other Regent ships is personal preference. We would not sail on a regular or concierge suite on the Mariner but have done so on Explorer (and would do it again).

This is trademarked by Regent. Suggest that you contact Regent to get your answer. Seriously, this is a lovely thread, let's keep it that way!

All you say is correct.

I have read the thread as a lurker and understand what your point was. :)

Keith

Yes, TC, we would be delighted to book Explorer again. There is lots and lots to like/enjoy. However, we did find the entertainment truly sub par...popcorn movies first and last night, good violinists but booked 2x in 3 nights, a flat comedian, very weak cast shows, one of which was played twice. John's show was very good and Jamie M Stewart gave 2 fabulous performances. Lounge entertainment weak..all JMO,of course.

Love the new CR menu and have great respect for their providing an area for served lunch in addition to the buffets. No impulse/need to close the DR for 'cruise moral'.

John B said that he will be the CD on Explorer thru this year, alternating w Ashley ? Heath.

While Franck is a treasure, they have some other strong managers, including Daniela, Vladimer and the rising Branislav',Alain & Rumel in CR.

After Thoughts

Home from a great cruise on the Explorer – Panama Canal over New Year’s. My thoughts and opinions follow but I would be pleased to respond to specific questions.

Great ship to cruise on: spacious public areas; fantastic F cabin layouts; beautiful decor including the art work; and terrific menus. Handled gale force winds very well! Library is a somewhat hidden gem with 2 computers (no printers) almost always available.

Had lunches in both P7 and Chartreuse and loved the different luncheon menus (but too large portions). First come, first serve for access but not crowded.

Entertainment varied (for our taste) from fantastic (John B, “Love Boat singer, and violinists) to Excellent (Tim the pianist in Observation lounge, some production shows by the young American singers/dancers and first-run movies) to mediocre (Lounge Trio, comedian, and some production shows).

DW enjoyed her Culinary class (French). Teacher was excellent and the 1 1/2 hour class focused on technique; attendees were experienced cooks.

We especially enjoyed the New Year’s Gala and the tour of the Bridge (ask at Reception).

Our excursions were fun; had some great local guides and were run very well by Destinations staff. Golfito was an exception. The port is awful and the excursion to the Nature Preserve saw NO animal other than fire ants! Acapulco and Guatemala were very much better than we expected.

Gremlins:

Had difficulty embarking through port security in Miami as I had not brought BOTH DW’s and my paperwork from Regent; you need BOTH sets.

Door to verandah was OFTEN difficult to open; get the cabin staff to show you the correct procedure.

Sight lines on many places in theater are poor! Check out where you don’t want to sit early in the cruise; the GOOD views get taken early.

Just spoke with the owner of our Travel Agency, he is on the Explorer now (Regent assigned him a Master suite). The TA short cruise is spectacular he says--the service, cuisine, ambiance is outstanding. He pointed out he feels the Explorer would be almost perfect for a long cruise vs short cruise. He also told me the TA's will be handed the balance of the 2018 Regent Itineraries when on board--tho he was not sure when they would loaded on line--he will ask. Also, let him know that one new contentious subject on the Regent CC board is "The Study." Sent him page one of Davefr's thread. He will go look at the study and at dinner with Jason Montague tonight bring up the subject.

Also, Franck Galzy will be headed to the Voyager and boards next Monday in Auckland per conversation with Mr. Rumor/Rich and Franck earlier in the week.

The Grand Suite, in my opinion is useless. The couch is a sleeper which is very uncomfortable, and the chair is horrible. There is a hallway effect when you go in and to get to the table and chairs is a chore, very tight. This was suite 785. We wanted to have guests, but the layout was dysfunctional.

The doors to La Terraza are not automatic and horribly hard to work.

Lack of TV for three days was horrible and boring. We went through most of the movies that we had not seen.

The food in the buffet, in my opinion is horrible, really horrible. Including breakfast.

The crew were amazing, including...all of them, very friendly and helpful.

The food in Prime 7 was amazing (but not the lobster). Chartreuse, only so-so and Pacific rim, the Lobster is amazing.

The ship is absolutely beautiful. No fault in my opinion.

We took some tours and they were good as tours go, no complaints.

Met Thundery, Oceans and Patters and Snack Daddy. All great people.

We have booked one month next year on The Explorer, but not in a Grand Suite. Hope the next accommodations are much better.

My husband and I used the sinks outside the buffet every day, more than once. Nice touch.

We didn't do a tour in Acapulco. They had half of the Army in the cruise terminal, so I think they are doing damage control.

We Loved the Explorer Lounge with Nature's Rhythm. Fabulous.

The boutiques were boring! LOL, we would have bought a lot more.

Don't flame me which is what usually happens. These are all my opinions.

Everyone should be entitled to their opinion without being flamed. We also stayed in a Grand Suite and had 4 other couples in for a party. We loved the bedroom and bathroom but found the living room a big tight. The balcony was over the top. Our only issue (suite 1200) was hearing noise from the Observation Lounge below.

We loved the buffet (for the most part) - so much better than we have experienced previously. Again, food is subjective. As good as the buffet was, we spent almost half of the time having lunch in P7 and Chartreuse.

Why should anybody flame you, you stated what you think about the ship, service and food. Thanks for being up front. My only worry about what you said is we have Suite 785 on are trip. But thanks for the heads up.

Rick

Are you on the spring crossing?

While on board we signed on for the spring crossing. The bleak and quite chilly weather of our last 2 days [1 at sea, then San Diego] has us 2nd and 3rd thinking this. While we love days at sea, we love sunny days at sea w the ability to sit out.

I would appreciate info re: previous TA crossings...the weather and whether there are additional activities/speakers/entertainers.

Thanks Paula