Whatsapp on board?

Hi! So my guy and I both have WhatsApp and use that to call and text each other because it doesn't count against our plans. We have the 2 device Voom surf and stream. Does anyone know if WhatsApp is good on board and if that is a reliable way for us to communicate? I also would love to have my sister download it so I can talk to her while on board about my mom. Thanks for any info!

Hi! So my guy and I both have WhatsApp and use that to call and text each other because it doesn't count against our plans. We have the 2 device Voom surf and stream. Does anyone know if WhatsApp is good on board and if that is a reliable way for us to communicate? I also would love to have my sister download it so I can talk to her while on board about my mom. Thanks for any info!

WhatsApp works fine on board.

Thanks! Just a quick clarification because I find this stuff confusing :) I don't need to contact Verizon to get an international/cruising/mexico plan because I'm doing Voom, right? So as long as I am ok with using wireless I can use WhatsApp for texting or calls and then just get in on the wireless for any other internet use. I just wouldn't have any service on land unless Chakanaab has free wireless. Is that right?

I would turn off international data & roaming. If you leave your phone as is, the phone will look for towers and eat up your data at an international rate. The prices on the ship are so expensive. I think Verizon charges $2.50 per minute?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks! Just a quick clarification because I find this stuff confusing :) I don't need to contact Verizon to get an international/cruising/mexico plan because I'm doing Voom, right? So as long as I am ok with using wireless I can use WhatsApp for texting or calls and then just get in on the wireless for any other internet use. I just wouldn't have any service on land unless Chakanaab has free wireless. Is that right?

Correct. I'd put the phones in Airplane mode and then turn on WiFi. This way you would get no charges from your cell carrier.

Hi Luckyprincess,

My husband and I also purchased the voom+stream package each and we used whatsapp to call, text and even send each other photos from our phones.

I made sure that my Mobile Data was turned off, as well as International roaming.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Judy

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Not quite that simple-

For true voice calls over wifi, your phone needs to be new enough to do "wireless calling." Even then, recognize that some cruise lines' data plans (even "unlimited" ones) may prohibit or throttle "too much" streaming (e.g., Face Time).

Take some time to learn how your phone works. On the newest iPhones (7 and 7+ with ios 10 for example), when traveling, you might want to choose settings that turn off "auto time" (you choose the ship or local time zone), "auto network" (you choose which local carrier to use- e.g., your carrier's partner for any roaming plan you have purchased).

Turning on "airplane mode" is not always the best way to go - if you need voice call connectivity for possible emergency/work calls or to connect with local guides you have engaged. Thus, if you want to have that ongoing access to receive/accept that important call, look at all of your "auto" settings: turn off things like "background app refresh," and "download images" or even any more than just message headers. All of this will limit data if you choose to keep "roaming" (voice and/or data) turned on.

Finally, be very wary of "free wifi" - particularly in a cruise port or any heavily touristed area. Hacking is epidemic (google and watch the NBC Today Show report on "free wifi" in cruise port cities).

Not quite that simple-

For true voice calls over wifi, your phone needs to be new enough to do "wireless calling."

The OP's question is in regards to WhatsApp which DOES Wifi calling via its app. It has nothing to do with how new her phone is as this is application specific, not hardware specific.

The OP's question is in regards to WhatsApp which DOES Wifi calling via its app. It has nothing to do with how new her phone is as this is application specific, not hardware specific.

Many apps won't work on older phones, or will only work with reduced functionality. For example, apps that use fingerprint recognition. It doesn't matter how new or good the app is, if your older phone doesn't support fingerprint recognition, the app can't use it.

With respect to WhatsApp, for iPhones it requires a minimum of iOS 7, which in turn only operates on a couple of iPhone 4 models and newer. So, if you have an older iPhone, WhatsApp won't work, and the same would hold true for other manufacturers' older phones.

Many apps won't work on older phones, or will only work with reduced functionality. For example, apps that use fingerprint recognition. It doesn't matter how new or good the app is, if your older phone doesn't support fingerprint recognition, the app can't use it.

With respect to WhatsApp, for iPhones it requires a minimum of iOS 7, which in turn only operates on a couple of iPhone 4 models and newer. So, if you have an older iPhone, WhatsApp won't work, and the same would hold true for other manufacturers' older phones.

The OP specifically stated in her original post that she has WhatsApp and uses it to both text and make calls. By that admission, it would be safe to say that her phone is "New" enough to make WiFi calls via WhatsApp on the ship. She was trying to determine if the bandwidth on the ship would be sufficient enough to use that same functionality while at sea.

When my mom was just on Anthem, we couldn't get calls to work over WhatsApp, only chat messages, for what that's worth. Me on land, her on the ship.

Did she have the surf & stream or just surf? The just surf package is very slow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not quite that simple-

For true voice calls over wifi, your phone needs to be new enough to do "wireless calling." Even then, recognize that some cruise lines' data plans (even "unlimited" ones) may prohibit or throttle "too much" streaming (e.g., Face Time).

Take some time to learn how your phone works. On the newest iPhones (7 and 7+ with ios 10 for example), when traveling, you might want to choose settings that turn off "auto time" (you choose the ship or local time zone), "auto network" (you choose which local carrier to use- e.g., your carrier's partner for any roaming plan you have purchased).

Turning on "airplane mode" is not always the best way to go - if you need voice call connectivity for possible emergency/work calls or to connect with local guides you have engaged. Thus, if you want to have that ongoing access to receive/accept that important call, look at all of your "auto" settings: turn off things like "background app refresh," and "download images" or even any more than just message headers. All of this will limit data if you choose to keep "roaming" (voice and/or data) turned on.

Be careful turning off the auto time zone setting on an iPhone. It can (probably will) cause your FaceTime and iMessages to fail.

Since wifi calling became widespread I haven't used third party apps for texting and calling but definitely did have some frustration until I figured out the time zone issue.

The OP specifically stated in her original post that she has WhatsApp and uses it to both text and make calls. By that admission, it would be safe to say that her phone is "New" enough to make WiFi calls via WhatsApp on the ship. She was trying to determine if the bandwidth on the ship would be sufficient enough to use that same functionality while at sea.

I just felt that it would be better to clarify the hardware aspect in case someone who isn't technically inclined read your post thought that they too could just get the app and use it on their old phone. As you say, the OP is already using WhatsApp so it isn't an issue in her case.

Did she have the surf & stream or just surf? The just surf package is very slow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm guessing just surf. She used her Diamond perk for the free 24 hours.

We used our 4 free 24 hour internet perks on the Harmony last month, and WhatsApp worked great for calls and texts with the basic package. I was even able to watch TV shows on my smartphone.

Edited by slk230red

I remember thinking my grandma was dumb because she didn't know how to work a Brownie Instamatic camera. Not so much now! I have a 6 year old grandson who can work a computer an iPad better than me!! Here is what he feels like:

kid_zpsik1bfpsy.jpg

We used our 4 free 24 hour internet perks on the Harmony last month, and WhatsApp worked great for calls and texts with the basic package. I was even able to watch TV shows on my smartphone.

Surf (what you get with the free D and up internet perk) on Harmony may perform better than most older ship's Stream due to the newer O3B technology on that ship.