Star Azipod News and progress

karoo

Star underway again after overnight stop. Does not appear to have been repaired as is sailing under 10 knots. Of course, speed may not be needed to achieve next port.

For the posted itinerary times, Singapore to Benoa, Bali, requires 16 knots. This all sounds like a bearing problem with the pod, or in the motor windings, hence only being able to work when the ship is not moving, so they may be running at low speed to see how the repair is working at low revolutions, and will gradually work up.

For the posted itinerary times, Singapore to Benoa, Bali, requires 16 knots. This all sounds like a bearing problem with the pod, or in the motor windings, hence only being able to work when the ship is not moving, so they may be running at low speed to see how the repair is working at low revolutions, and will gradually work up.

They are currently sailing between Phu My and Nha Trang.

On 12/29/16 at 0700 the Star did 17.8 kts for an hour. I am using this site to track position and speed. If you scroll down the page it shows you some history of the speed the ship was making.

http://www.sailwx.info/shiptrack/shipposition.phtml?call=C6FR3

Just checked this out and doesn't look like the Star is making good progress. Hope the repairs are completed in Singapore. Otherwise the run to Sydney could require major itinerary changes. And I worry about our cruise from Sydney to Auckland on 2/6-18.

Any updates?

Just checked this out and doesn't look like the Star is making good progress. Hope the repairs are completed in Singapore. Otherwise the run to Sydney could require major itinerary changes. And I worry about our cruise from Sydney to Auckland on 2/6-18.

Any updates?

This was posted yesterday from someone onboard.

Edited

Hi All

We are in Nha Trang tomorrow. The captain, in his lunchtime announcement said our speed is 6 knots, and only one azipod is working. Apparentley there is a crew of technicians from ABB, the large European electronics firm, on board working on it. Crew is great, food is great, hopefully all will be fixed soon.

Any updates?

Edited

Hi All

We are in Nha Trang tomorrow. The captain, in his lunchtime announcement said our speed is 6 knots, and only one azipod is working. Apparentley there is a crew of technicians from ABB, the large European electronics firm, on board working on it. Crew is great, food is great, hopefully all will be fixed soon.

From the calculations I made when the itinerary of the current cruise was posted, I found that for this segment of ports, the speed needed was decidedly snail paced, typically well below 10 knots, so her current speed is no indication of potential top speed.

As others have posted, I believe the main push will be to complete the work over the overnight in Singapore before starting the 1/16 cruise.

While ABB is widely known as an electronic firm, it has long been a leader in electrical power distribution, especially in the marine field, and is the builder of the azipods and their control system, as well as the turbochargers for the diesel engines.

Having been in one of the suites directly above the non-functional azipod on the 12/11 sailing, I was grateful for the reduced vibration and noise (tried to find the silver lining on that sailing). We may have averaged 11.5 knots per hour on that sailing (we went from 9 to 12 to get to Chan May to take advantage of another cruise ship abandoning that port - "What did their captain know that ours didn't?" we wondered...)

We spent a couple of additional weeks traveling around SE Asia (including the ports we missed on the first go-round). Oddly enough, we ran into an NCL tour group in HCMC on Jan. 9, and one guest told us that the azipod had been fixed. Clearly he had no idea what he was talking about...

Currently on the Star to Hong Kong. This was the view over the stern late yesterday afternoon with only one azipod operational.38026102b3e43da834be757615997cbd.jpg
Edited by atomax

Edited

Hi All

Well, this is good news.

At least it is good news to folks like me who see the glass as half full.

Judy

That just tweaks my OCD... if I had to stare at that all week, I'd just go nuts.

Make. It. EVEN!

It would drive me nuts even if both were operational. Never understood the fascination with aft cabins

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It would drive me nuts even if both were operational. Never understood the fascination with aft cabins

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The answer to that is one word ....well 2 words....THE VIEW. :D

Keep smiling. :)

It's good that we all like different things.

What a boring world if we all thought the same way. :eek:

Judy

From the calculations I made when the itinerary of the current cruise was posted, I found that for this segment of ports, the speed needed was decidedly snail paced, typically well below 10 knots, so her current speed is no indication of potential top speed.

As others have posted, I believe the main push will be to complete the work over the overnight in Singapore before starting the 1/16 cruise.

While ABB is widely known as an electronic firm, it has long been a leader in electrical power distribution, especially in the marine field, and is the builder of the azipods and their control system, as well as the turbochargers for the diesel engines.

Chengkp: As an engineer myself (aerospace, just retired from NASA but knowing little of ships' propulsion systems (though the theory is essentially the same)), I really appreciate & am learning a great deal from your posts. Thank you & keep them coming! I'll be on the Star, 27 Mar, Dubai to Venice.

Chengkp: As an engineer myself (aerospace, just retired from NASA but knowing little of ships' propulsion systems (though the theory is essentially the same)), I really appreciate & am learning a great deal from your posts. Thank you & keep them coming! I'll be on the Star, 27 Mar, Dubai to Venice.

So glad you'll be with us!!!

Judy

Currently on the Star to Hong Kong. This was the view over the stern late yesterday afternoon with only one azipod operational.38026102b3e43da834be757615997cbd.jpg

Hey Kev .... No credit for this picture ?? ;)

Yes, this was the view from our aft facing cabin ...as of this morning's arrival in Hong Kong ---- still only ONE azipod :(