Star Azipod News and progress

karoo

I went to sea-distance.org plug in 16 knots after Singapore to get to Sydney on time we probably would have to miss the other Australia ports.

Please provide details as it seems to me to be peculiar. How far in nm? How many ports? How many days between Singapore & Sydney?

Edited by casofilia
Added question

There is 14 days between Singapore and Sydney. If the ship doesn't get fixed in Singapore it will take 11 days to get to Sydney . According to sea-distance.org if you go 16 knots. They can't work on it while the ship is moving. NCL probably will wants to get to Sydney as soon as possible. This could all be muted everything could be fixed before we arrived on January 16.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Can you post the itinerary?

The original itinerary for the Jan. 16 sailing was revised and now misses 1 port in Viet Nam and 1 port in Thailand and adds an overnight in Singapore.

Revised Arrive Depart

Mon Hong Kong, China 6:00 pm

Tue At Sea

Wed At Sea

Thu Nha Trang, Viet Nam 8:00 am 5:00 pm

Fri At Sea

Sat At Sea

Sun Singapore, Singapore 8:00 am overnight

Mon Singapore, Singapore 6:00 pm

Tue At Sea

Wed At Sea

Thu Benoa (Bali), Indonesia 7:00 am 6:00 pm

Fri Komodo, Indonesia 9:00 am 5:00 pm

Sat At Sea

Sun Darwin, Australia 8:00 am 6:00 pm

Mon At Sea

Tue At Sea

Wed Cairns, Australia 8:00 am 5:00 pm

Thu Airlie Beach, Australia 10:00 am 6:00 pm

Fri At Sea

Sat Brisbane, Australia 8:00 am 6:00 pm

Sun At Sea

Mon Sydney, Australia 7:00 am

The current sailing, Jan. 5, is from Singapore to Hong Kong with 4 ports. It seems unlikely that the part was made over the holidays. If it arrives during the current sailing, how long does it usually take to install? Wondering if there is a chance the overnight in Singapore on the Jan 16 sailing may not be needed.

From Sydney in Feb. the Star is set to go to Auckland and then back to Singapore.

Edited by herdingdogmom

The original itinerary for the Jan. 16 sailing was revised and now misses 1 port in Viet Nam and 1 port in Thailand and adds an overnight in Singapore.

Revised Arrive Depart

Mon Hong Kong, China 6:00 pm

Tue At Sea

Wed At Sea

Thu Nha Trang, Viet Nam 8:00 am 5:00 pm

Fri At Sea

Sat At Sea

Sun Singapore, Singapore 8:00 am overnight

Mon Singapore, Singapore 6:00 pm

Tue At Sea

Wed At Sea

Thu Benoa (Bali), Indonesia 7:00 am 6:00 pm

Fri Komodo, Indonesia 9:00 am 5:00 pm

Sat At Sea

Sun Darwin, Australia 8:00 am 6:00 pm

Mon At Sea

Tue At Sea

Wed Cairns, Australia 8:00 am 5:00 pm

Thu Airlie Beach, Australia 10:00 am 6:00 pm

Fri At Sea

Sat Brisbane, Australia 8:00 am 6:00 pm

Sun At Sea

Mon Sydney, Australia 7:00 am

The current sailing, Jan. 5, is from Singapore to Hong Kong with 4 ports. It seems unlikely that the part was made over the holidays. If it arrives during the current sailing, how long does it usually take to install? Wondering if there is a chance the overnight in Singapore on the Jan 16 sailing may not be needed.

From Sydney in Feb. the Star is set to go to Auckland and then back to Singapore.

It was my understanding when we were onboard that the plan was to complete the repair during the added overnight in Singapore on the Hong Kong - Sydney sailing. I've no idea though if everything is still going to schedule though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

From what I see, everything is doable at 16 knots, except the Darwin-Cairns, and Cairns-Airlie Beach, which both require a full 22 knots to do in time. Remember, I'm using 16 knots as a generic number, given the power available on one azipod. The Star may be able to make as much as 18 knots on one, and currents can add to that.

Manufacturing, particularly heavy machine works don't shut down completely for holidays, so depending on where the part was being manufactured, it could very well have been made over the holidays.

Using the 36 hours +/- in Singapore to complete the repair would make a lot of sense.

Edited by chengkp75

From what I see, everything is doable at 16 knots, except the Darwin-Cairns, and Cairns-Airlie Beach, which both require a full 22 knots to do in time. Remember, I'm using 16 knots as a generic number, given the power available on one azipod. The Star may be able to make as much as 18 knots on one, and currents can add to that.

Manufacturing, particularly heavy machine works don't shut down completely for holidays, so depending on where the part was being manufactured, it could very well have been made over the holidays.

Using the 36 hours +/- in Singapore to complete the repair would make a lot of sense.

When we were on the Dec 11th sailing where the problem was first found. We went to the meet the officiers meeting and the head engineer and captain said that the ship could only go upto 15 knots, but only if no wind or other weather conditions. That was my understanding. So, I am not sure where the 16 knots or 18 came from.

When we were on the Dec 11th sailing where the problem was first found. We went to the meet the officiers meeting and the head engineer and captain said that the ship could only go upto 15 knots, but only if no wind or other weather conditions. That was my understanding. So, I am not sure where the 16 knots or 18 came from.

It's a fairly common approximation that a ship can do about 75% of its rated speed on half the horsepower. Given her rated speed of 24 knots, that's about 18 knots, and I take some away for the drag of the windmilling pod. Speed to horsepower is an exponential relationship, those last few knots takes a lot of power and fuel.

Well, I think it would be safe to say that the captain and head engineer know what they are talking about and that they will not go above 15 knots, no matter what the calculations seem to be.

Edited by Level six

It could be dangerous to go any faster on one azipod with so many people on board.

I assume load would be a factor, but these ships are so large that a few extra tons of flesh might not matter much. I don't know how displacement figures in ... I don't even really know what that means, but it sounds like it know what I'm talking about. I leave it to the Chief on such matters.

Rounding up the Star's "capacity" to an assumed max capacity of 2500 passengers, and giving them a bountiful US weight of 250 lbs. each, means the maximum weight of passengers is 312 tons. This is about half of one percent of the ship's displacement, or actual weight. The difference between a full load of passengers and none at all would be about a half inch of draft.

Not really sure how more people makes it less safe to go faster.

Rounding up the Star's "capacity" to an assumed max capacity of 2500 passengers, and giving them a bountiful US weight of 250 lbs. each, means the maximum weight of passengers is 312 tons. This is about half of one percent of the ship's displacement, or actual weight. The difference between a full load of passengers and none at all would be about a half inch of draft.

Not really sure how more people makes it less safe to go faster.

One thing to note is 2500 is double occupancy figure. That 2 people per room. Most times the ship is over 3500 passengers.

With a displacement hull the only real thing that effects speed is time out of dry dock (a clean hull is faster) and horsepower. You lose an azipod you lose hp.

One thing to note is 2500 is double occupancy figure. That 2 people per room. Most times the ship is over 3500 passengers.

With a displacement hull the only real thing that effects speed is time out of dry dock (a clean hull is faster) and horsepower. You lose an azipod you lose hp.

Quite well aware of the difference between "capacity" and max capacity, but given the Star's 18 lifeboats at 150 person/boat, that is a maximum capacity of 2700, but let's not quibble.

Actually, displacement affects speed, as does trim. Both of these are affected by liquid deadweight, or how much fuel, oil, and water (both fresh and sea) the ship is carrying. These items account for a larger percentage of the ship's displacement than the passengers. A couple of inches deeper in the water increases the wetted surface by a large amount, increasing drag, and whether the ship is "flat" fore and aft when underway, as opposed to down by the stern, will also affect the resistance and speed.

given the Star's 18 lifeboats at 150 person/boat, that is a maximum capacity of 2700, but let's not quibble

Surely the Star must have more lifeboat capacity than that! Won't the 1000+ crew and staff need seats too? Or do they fall under a different allocation?

Edited by havenfan

Surely the Star must have more lifeboat capacity than that! Won't the 1000+ crew and staff need seats too? Or do they fall under a different allocation?

Never mind. I should have googled it in the first place.

The Star, in its earlier configuration, had 20x150 = 3000 lifeboat capacity, therefore 3000/75% = 4000 total capacity per SOLAS standards. So 1000+ crew and 3000- passengers total capacity.

http://swansongrp.com/star_1203/images/star_facts.pdf

Edited by havenfan

Never mind. I should have googled it in the first place.

The Star, in its earlier configuration, had 20x150 = 3000 lifeboat capacity, therefore 3000/75% = 4000 total capacity per SOLAS standards. So 1000+ crew and 3000- passengers total capacity.

http://swansongrp.com/star_1203/images/star_facts.pdf

It may well still have 20 boats, I did a quick count off a small photo. The page you linked states 2900 max capacity.

The crew, with the exception of the 2-3 assigned to each boat as crew, use liferafts, not lifeboats. Yes, the SOLAS requirement is to have lifeboats for no less than 75% of all souls onboard, and the balance is made up of liferafts, also to include a 25% surplus. So, there is always 125% lifesaving capacity for all souls onboard.

I know passengers only see their muster drill, but if you get the chance to witness a crew drill, you will find that the signal that takes passengers to muster (more than 6 short blasts followed by one long blast) is what sends the crew to their emergency stations, to handle the emergency. Only when the passengers have been evacuated in the lifeboats would the Captain signal "abandon ship" (one prolonged blast), which signals all crew to go to their abandon ship station and board the liferafts.

It's a fairly common approximation that a ship can do about 75% of its rated speed on half the horsepower. Given her rated speed of 24 knots, that's about 18 knots, and I take some away for the drag of the windmilling pod. Speed to horsepower is an exponential relationship, those last few knots takes a lot of power and fuel.

On 12/29/16 at 0700 the Star did 17.8 kts for an hour. I am using this site to track position and speed. If you scroll down the page it shows you some history of the speed the ship was making.

http://www.sailwx.info/shiptrack/shipposition.phtml?call=C6FR3