Child in Different Room than Booked?

So I am looking at booking a cruise with my inlaws. We will book a JS and they are going to book an OV. I noticed that it would save $150 if we put our DD1 in their cabin instead of ours. This would also let us book a JS on the hump, but it would only have two berths.

I was wondering if since my DD would be in a pack n play, if we could book her in the OV, but then have her stay/sleep in a pack n play in our cabin.

I thought I had read on here about people doing similar and it was fine as long as the kid was booked in a room with an available berth, but I couldn't find anything search.

So I am looking at booking a cruise with my inlaws. We will book a JS and they are going to book an OV. I noticed that it would save $150 if we put our DD1 in their cabin instead of ours. This would also let us book a JS on the hump, but it would only have two berths.

I was wondering if since my DD would be in a pack n play, if we could book her in the OV, but then have her stay/sleep in a pack n play in our cabin.

I thought I had read on here about people doing similar and it was fine as long as the kid was booked in a room with an available berth, but I couldn't find anything search.

You don't need an "available berth" if the child is in a pack and play.

RCI booked us into a 2 berth room since we were going to have a PNP, but then rescinded the reservation telling me at the time of sailing my child would be too large for a PNP (I'd love their crystal ball).

Just make sure the on the reservation for the OV room it is noted they have a pack and play; that can always be moved.

Also, this may be splitting hairs a bit thin, but I'd have a notorized letter allowing your folks to care for the child and take them on the cruise. Even though you will be on the ship and have the child with you, the cruise line just sees that the child is booked on paper with a non-parent.

You don't need an "available berth" if the child is in a pack and play.

RCI booked us into a 2 berth room since we were going to have a PNP, but then rescinded the reservation telling me at the time of sailing my child would be too large for a PNP (I'd love their crystal ball).

Just make sure the on the reservation for the OV room it is noted they have a pack and play; that can always be moved.

Also, this may be splitting hairs a bit thin, but I'd have a notorized letter allowing your folks to care for the child and take them on the cruise. Even though you will be on the ship and have the child with you, the cruise line just sees that the child is booked on paper with a non-parent.

Never had this situation with RCI...some of our extended family on more than one cruise has had no trouble booking a 2 person cabin adding a child in a p-n-p. RCI goes by the "age" of the child at time of booking. What happened to you is extremely unusual.

OP should have no trouble booking a JS category with a p-n-p child. And certainly will have no trouble as far as needing a letter...as both parents "are" cruising....and booking's should be linked due to dining etc.

We cruise often with RCI and these have been our experiences...sorry they weren't yours.

Never had this situation with RCI...some of our extended family on more than one cruise has had no trouble booking a 2 person cabin adding a child in a p-n-p. RCI goes by the "age" of the child at time of booking. What happened to you is extremely unusual.

OP should have no trouble booking a JS category with a p-n-p child. And certainly will have no trouble as far as needing a letter...as both parents "are" cruising....and booking's should be linked due to dining etc.

We cruise often with RCI and these have been our experiences...sorry they weren't yours.

They will have no trouble booking the JS with a PNP. But they want to book the child and PNP into the grandparents oceanview room because it will save them $150. Yes, the bookings should be linked and that should eliminate any issues, but it is CBP that can detain if they want (It would take someone really thick headed to go to that extreme as likely the whole family is boarding together) but just throwing it out there as an abundance of caution. Also suggest making sure the PNP is at least reserved for the grandparents OV room.

RCI made right by me on my booking after I went up the chain. I did not get the original room category back; but they reviewed all their notes and saw it was entirely their mistake so they made it right.

They will have no trouble booking the JS with a PNP. But they want to book the child and PNP into the grandparents oceanview room because it will save them $150. Yes, the bookings should be linked and that should eliminate any issues, but it is CBP that can detain if they want (It would take someone really thick headed to go to that extreme as likely the whole family is boarding together) but just throwing it out there as an abundance of caution. Also suggest making sure the PNP is at least reserved for the grandparents OV room.

RCI made right by me on my booking after I went up the chain. I did not get the original room category back; but they reviewed all their notes and saw it was entirely their mistake so they made it right.

Sorry didn't hone in on the point of booking the child with the GP's...Glad this mistake in booking for you eventually worked in your favor

Thanks, I'll call tomorrow and see if they will let me book a two berth room with a PNP. If they would let you book it that way, I am sure they'd have no problem moving the baby once on board. I know of people who've done similar with adults to get certain discounts on multiple cabins and they let people switch once on the ship.

We were traveling with family and booked our 3 year grandson in our cabin as it was a greater then 2 person room. We paid about $100 more then we would have if he were booked in his parents cabin. However it gave us the aft cabin we wanted. We didn't bother to switch cards after check in. He slept with his parents in their cabin each night. No one batted an eye. Since his parents were in an inside across from us and they had a key to our room ( as the grandson was booked in our room) they could use our room in the evening when the littles were in bed. Worked great. No issues. And the baby monitor and camera worked that far too. ( By the way we turned the love seat around in the inside cabin and he slept great on it. Steward made it up for him. As he fit on it we didn't have to worry about an upper berth. He loved his special bed.)

We boarded and disembarked together.

Edited by cruiselvr04

Don't know if this would be an issue, but depending on cabin locations the muster stations may be different.

Yeah, I had though of that. I was hoping I could go to guest services and just have the room changed and get a new card issues to her.

I just called and verified that there is no issue booking with a PNP in a 2 berth room. I actually went ahead and set it up with DD in our room because the grandparents are still thinking about it. But thanks to LMaxwell I was able to get the center of the hump (9638) with three people :D.

We did something similar on the Oasis a few years ago- had our child booked in another cabin with a relative to save them money. We were booked in a JS and had our 4y/o sleep in our cabin on the pull out couch (the room was able to fit 3 or 4 people- can't remember exactly). Our room steward (who was the worst I've ever had) pitched a huge fit and demanded we go to guest services to move him to our room in the computer system so he could get the extra tips. He was seriously the worst and most unfriendly guy EVER. The TA had paid our gratuities, so I let it be, but that's the first time I ever considered removing tips for a person.