Diamond Princess, what is "International Dining Room"

jveevers

Looking at upcoming cruise on Diamond. The "Main " restaurant is split into four sections, Vivaldi, Santa Fe, Pacific Moon and Savoy. Horizon Court is the "Buffet". But what is the large "International Dining Room" shown on Deck 6 Aft? The Horizon Court appears to close at midnight, is there some place to eat after midnight apart from Room Service.

Just the name of the dining room. When in North America, that dining room was used for Traditional dining. It was a larger dining room compared to the other 4 which are smaller. It served the same menu as the other dining rooms.

Not sure if it is different with the ship in Asia.

Looking at upcoming cruise on Diamond. The "Main " restaurant is split into four sections, Vivaldi, Santa Fe, Pacific Moon and Savoy. Horizon Court is the "Buffet". But what is the large "International Dining Room" shown on Deck 6 Aft? The Horizon Court appears to close at midnight, is there some place to eat after midnight apart from Room Service.

International is the traditional main dining room.

Vivaldi etc are Anytime dining, but one is also used till about 7:30 as overflow traditional dining.

International is the traditional main dining room.

Vivaldi etc are Anytime dining, but one is also used till about 7:30 as overflow traditional dining.

On the Sapphire, it was always Vivaldi that was used for Traditional overflow for early dining.

The International DR is the traditional DR.

On the Sapphire, it was always Vivaldi that was used for Traditional overflow for early dining.

That may be true of Diamond as well (in fact I think it is), I just can't recall 100% at the moment

That may be true of Diamond as well (in fact I think it is), I just can't recall 100% at the moment

I wasn't completely sure either - I have sailed the most on the Sapphire so I was certain of that. I also didn't know if in Asia, if they are doing something different.

I wasn't completely sure either - I have sailed the most on the Sapphire so I was certain of that. I also didn't know if in Asia, if they are doing something different.

I was on her last year in Aus.

So I guess it may have changed, but friends who were on her with us and then a month or two back didn't mention any such change and I'm pretty sure they would have.

I was on her last year in Aus.

So I guess it may have changed, but friends who were on her with us and then a month or two back didn't mention any such change and I'm pretty sure they would have.

Australia, not Asia! All I know is too far for me to fly right now. :)

The Diamond doesn't have an International Cafe which is the only venue open 24 hours a day on Princess ships. Therefore, to answer your question, on the Diamond the only option for food between midnight and breakfast is the limited room service menu.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We will be on the Diamond in October. I spent a lot of time trying to get anytime dining on their website. Turns out there is no anytime dining. The ship is 100% traditional. I was told that is because it caters to Japanese market. The Princess agent said the International Dining Room is for those who speak Japanese. The English speakers and others will be assigned one of the four small dining rooms that used to be anytime dining. The agent even told me what dining room we had been assigned to. But I don't think it is set in stone.

I was on Diamond this week in Asia. International Dining room is only for traditional dining. The other three are only for anytime dining. Same menu throughout.

There is no anytime dining on cruises running around Japan. It's all traditional.

On a few nights Horizon Court was sectioned off into Crab Shack or Sterling Steakhouse but buffet available on the other side. Created a zoo sometimes especially when the mah Jong players refused to leave tables while people were looking for seats to eat their meals. We weren't impressed with the buffet.

Edited by Pushka

The Diamond doesn't have an International Cafe which is the only venue open 24 hours a day on Princess ships. Therefore, to answer your question, on the Diamond the only option for food between midnight and breakfast is the limited room service menu.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for that invaluable piece of info IECalCruiser! We're on her in May on a Japanese itinerary.

Having been on one of her sisters, the Sapphire a year ago (and loved her), I must admit I was a bit shocked and disappointed that the Diamond doesn't have the International Cafe, or Alfredo's! Ouch!

While not a 'showstopper', what am I going to do for my late night pizza and sandwich snacks?! :p

Cheers,

Darren

Thanks for that invaluable piece of info IECalCruiser! We're on her in May on a Japanese itinerary.

Having been on one of her sisters, the Sapphire a year ago (and loved her), I must admit I was a bit shocked and disappointed that the Diamond doesn't have the International Cafe, or Alfredo's! Ouch!

While not a 'showstopper', what am I going to do for my late night pizza and sandwich snacks?! :p

Cheers,

Darren

Wait, does Sapphire have an International Cafe? I thought she didn't? (But that's only going off my Princess brochure, not any personal experience).

Wait, does Sapphire have an International Cafe? I thought she didn't? (But that's only going off my Princess brochure, not any personal experience).
Don't know what brochure you are looking at but the Sapphire definitely had an IC and Alfredo's and we enjoyed both before she left the West Coast for Asia [emoji27] They are across for each other on Plaza deck [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by IECalCruiser

Don't know what brochure you are looking at but the Sapphire definitely had an IC and Alfredo's and we enjoyed both before she left the West Coast for Asia [emoji27] They are across for each other on Plaza deck [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oh that's so good to know! And she's coming back from Asia. Will be out of Southampton next year :)

I am reading on Princess that Horizon Court Buffet reverts at Dinner time to a "Bistro Style Waiter service". How does this work, do you get table service or service at the various station locations?

You are reading some very out-of-date brochures and/or links. "Evening Bistro" was an experiment in the late 90s/early 00s before each ship had multiple alternative restaurants. It later became "Late Night Bistro" starting at 11 PM to replace the midnight buffets but has since totally disappeared as the International Cafe has proven adequate for the current level of demand for overnight munchies.