Uber from Port Canaveral to MCO?

bobmagg

Has anyone used Uber from Port Canaveral to Orlando Airport?

There will be four of us (with luggage, of course)

Questions:

• Easy to acquire an XL (SUV)? Will that accommodate all four?

• How long did you wait?

• Where did you meet your Uber? Was it easy to identify your driver?

• How long did it take you from debarkation to MCO?

• What was your cost?

Would appreciate you answers, and any helpful remarks.

Bob

Has anyone used Uber from Port Canaveral to Orlando Airport?

There will be four of us (with luggage, of course)

I am new to uber, but will tell you what I know.

Several of your questions can be answered by opening your Uber app and entering From and To information

Questions:

• Easy to acquire an XL (SUV)? Will that accommodate all four?

This varies according to time of day and what vehicles are available. Again, the app will show this

• How long did you wait?

We waited 1-5 minutes

• Where did you meet your Uber? Was it easy to identify your driver?

This will likely be outside of Customs. Uber sends you a photo of your driver and his car license number.

• How long did it take you from debarkation to MCO?

• What was your cost?

Again, enter your From/to information into the app and uber will give you a close estimate. Note that at times of high demand or heavy traffic you will pay more.

Finally, you can check with http://uberestimate.com

We returned from a cruise flying back into MYR and requested a UberXL. We had 3 large bags, two roller carry ons, and a backpack for just the two of us. I seriously doubt if we could have taken another couple and their luggage with us.

Thanks Thinfool.

I am familiar with the Uber app, and know what Uber has to say about the journey, but was hoping to hear of personal experiences. We will be getting off the Oasis February 19 and concerned with that many passengers how difficult it will be to get and locate an Uber.

We returned from a cruise flying back into MYR and requested a UberXL. We had 3 large bags, two roller carry ons, and a backpack for just the two of us. I seriously doubt if we could have taken another couple and their luggage with us.

I would expect that if you live in the MYR area, it's not a problem to get an Uber from MYR to your home. However, the OP is asking about getting an uber to MCO from a port than is at least 45 minutes away, so the availability could be very different.

On another note for the OP, the problem with UberXL, in my experience, is that they tell you that if you request that you will get an SUV or minivan. When you do, you assume you'll be getting a full sized SUV that may even have 3 rows of seating. The reality is that you might end up with a small SUV/crossover vehicle. For instance, my own personal car is a Hyundai Tucson, which is considered a crossover or small SUV, but it's a 5 passenger car with some cargo space in the back. No way could it accommodate 4 people with cruise luggage. If you need a a vehicle to accommodate 4+ people with cruise luggage, then after you request the UberXL and a driver responds, you'll be able to see what kind of vehicle they drive. If it's one you're familiar with you can figure out if it's big enough. If you're not familiar with the vehicle or aren't sure, call the driver and tell them exactly how many people you have and how much luggage and ask if you'll fit and if you'll fit comfortably. If not, cancel the ride and try again, or request a 2nd Uber. I really wish that when requesting an Uber, there was a space to indicate how many passengers you have, and if you have luggage, so that only drivers who know they can accommodate you will respond.

Edited by waterbug123

I would expect that if you live in the MYR area, it's not a problem to get an Uber from MYR to your home. However, the OP is asking about getting an uber to MCO from a port than is at least 45 minutes away, so the availability could be very different.

On another note for the OP, the problem with UberXL, in my experience, is that they tell you that if you request that you will get an SUV or minivan. When you do, you assume you'll be getting a full sized SUV that may even have 3 rows of seating. The reality is that you might end up with a small SUV/crossover vehicle. For instance, my own personal car is a Hyundai Tucson, which is considered a crossover or small SUV, but it's a 5 passenger car with some cargo space in the back. No way could it accommodate 4 people with cruise luggage. If you need a a vehicle to accommodate 4+ people with cruise luggage, then after you request the UberXL and a driver responds, you'll be able to see what kind of vehicle they drive. If it's one you're familiar with you can figure out if it's big enough. If you're not familiar with the vehicle or aren't sure, call the driver and tell them exactly how many people you have and how much luggage and ask if you'll fit and if you'll fit comfortably. If not, cancel the ride and try again, or request a 2nd Uber. I really wish that when requesting an Uber, there was a space to indicate how many passengers you have, and if you have luggage, so that only drivers who know they can accommodate you will respond.

I was just trying to make the point, as were you, that a UberXL most likely will not be able to hold 4 people with cruise luggage.

FWIW, the distance from the Customs exit and passenger pick up at PC is 25 to 100 yards! Have only been at Terminal 1 with Freedom and it was pretty jammed with people and luggage. With Oasis it could be significantly worse.

Majesty is a picnic comparatively speaking!

OP, I would take Bob's advice and look at a shuttle rather than Uber/Lyft for this particular trip!

Edited by Scotty G
clarify

MCO airport has put restrictions on Uber to protect the long-time bus and cab company in the area, Mears.

Taking an Uber from MCO will only be via black car (aka limo) service and will be pricey. Made that mistake after moving here... ride from my house to the airport, about $23. Airport to home (at 111:30P), $118.

Now I live close to Disney and not near the port but Uber service from the airport can be pricey.

what's that going to cost you? I'm also considering an UberXL from MCO to Port Canaveral but it's coming up at $115-$149.

I am going with GroundLink, and the cost from Oasis to MCO is $152.00. The benefits are that I can pick my departure time (with a 30 minute cushion if we are late getting off the ship), it will be a full size SUV (Suburban or Escalade), and it will be exclusive for the 4 of us. I like the fact that I can make advanced reservations (as opposed to Uber).

If I can remember to do so, I will post a review after our journey.

Bob

• 3 months later...
Hi Bob

How did Groundlink work out for you? We are on the Oasis next February with an 11AM flight out of MCO.

Just FYI.....if you are sailing the Oasis in February during college spring break or President's week you can expect a very busy time for traffic and crowds at the airport.

Since you have a flight this early you need to consider doing self assist and walking off with all your luggage as early as you can and definitely have a prearranged reliable shuttle waiting.

The airport is 45-60 min away so any delays with traffic, etc and you won't make it, especially if you don't get an early start. Just getting through security once you arrive at the airport can also be an ordeal this time of year.

Just trying to help......have a wonderful cruise!