Can you take a Travel Iron on Celebrity?

unlimited

I am not stirring the pot. But, does Celebrity or any cruise line have it in writing that certain items are not allowed onboard? I think I have seen cruise lines mention liquor and beer are not allowed to be brought onboard.

Royal Caribbean operates a web site exclusively for travel agents with information that the travel agents are supposed to supply to Royal CAribbean and Celebrity customers. They very clearly ban irons on this web site. If you have a ta ask them to check. They have also at times put it onto the daily sheets.

This topic comes up all the time with the same lame excuses about smoking, curling irons, etc. What do they call that rationalization. Why can't people just follow the rules.

I've said this previously on another thread about irons ... PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE leave the irons at home. While I'm sure that everyone here is responsible and 99.9999999 percent of the time you wouldn't experience a problem, fire is a very serious danger and not worth the risk. If you have any doubts about how frightening an onboard fire can be, check out the TECHNICAL FIRE thread on the Princess boards that talks about the recent Star Princess fire.

It doesn't matter how the fire started in this particular instance, irons on ships are a fire hazard and things can happen to even the most responsible people.

Sure, there are other things that are fire hazards that aren't currently banned, but I'd be in favor of banning them too if passenger safety is improved.

Just my thoughts....

Hi Anne:) you have a way with words:D

I have read all the replies to this post and for those of you who

take your irons with ya'll, well I am the total

opposite. I have NO DESIRE to iron while on a cruise. Then again I rarely

iron here at home. I do own one...but when something needs ironing, I use

a towel on my kitchen table.....no ironing board gets opened up. Call me

weird...it is the easiest way for me.

And if someone asks, "what if something gets wrinkled"?...there are

other ways to remove wrinkles! Steam from your shower is an

excellent wrinkle remover. A steamer...as some have said also

works. (though I have no first hand experience because I don't bring

one of those with me either).

Also, I have learned through cruising that dry cleaner bags are

awesome in the prevention of wrinkles while packing. I use them

everytime! The plastic and air seem to act as a buffer and REALLY

WORKS:)

And if worst come to worst.....and I must have something pressed....

well, I use the ships services...what a concept;) the prices

really aren't that bad and I just don't iron while I am on a cruise!

Okay-I know the "rules" about irons being a fire hazard. I have been ironing clothes for years and never once had to use an extinguisher:DLOL

Question: If one were to bring their own iron on board how would one go about it ;)

One shouldn't. I could care less if people break the rules by bringing booze onboard, but when it comes to something that's not allowed for safety reasons, I have a real problem with people who try to get around the rules. Please don't do it.

ok...irons...

unbeknownst to me my younger daughter brought my Rowenta on our cruise....

one of my older daughters friends (male) needed to iron a shirt...

clearly my younger daughter and older daughter's friend were wrinkle conscious....

me, I figure I'd have found a way around the issue....

the problem I had once I found out at Bingo after the male friend bolted to his cabin because the iron may have been left on was this...

...the Rowenta is no travel iron and has auto shut off...

So...the kid, my kid, who decided to pack my ONE HUNDRED DOLLAR IRON and SHARE IT with a stranger friend TO BOOT, was not cruising with me again anytime in th near future....

This is a true story. ;)

The cabin stewards are not likely to tell a passenger they shouldn't have just about anything they bring. They are depending on a good tip and good comments. They know if they make the passenger mad by telling them they shouldn't have somthing they aren't likely to get either.

I haven't seen anyone mention Downey Wrinkle Release. That stuff works pretty good, especially if you are using it with a steamer.

I usually just have anything that's wrinkled too badly pressed by the ship's laundry. I thought the price for the service was reasonable.

Terri

ok...irons...

...the Rowenta is no travel iron and has auto shut off...

Pack with dry cleaner plastic bags and the Downy and I think you can get by when it comes down to it...

. ;)

I agree with finely cruising.

Auto shut off is no guarantee that an iron is off. On a lot of irons, all it does it put the iron in sleep mode - the minute the iron is moved, it turns on and heats up again. And on a moving and rocking ship, what are the chances of that iron tipping over and turning on?

Leave the irons at home!

I really donot understand why more or less wrinkles are that important.

Remember you are on VACATION....

We all have to pack our clothes, so everybody will end up having more or less wrinkles in it. ....Then who cares.....

If it really is that important have it pressed on board!!

Don't ask don't tell.:cool:

More fires have started on cruise critic sites by questions about irons than any other cause. I had to get a fire retardant monitor because of all the flames.

I just keep on responding just to see how upset people get by knowing what goes on in my stateroom.

Just once I would like to get a report of a fire that started on any cruise ship where irons are provided and legal in laundry rooms.

If cruise lines are serious about fires then prevent smoking on board. Smoking is the leading cause of deadly fires in N. America. As soon as that fire hazard is removed will I believe that this topic is as serious as it sounds.

Don't ask don't tell.:cool:

More fires have started on cruise critic sites by questions about irons than any other cause. I had to get a fire retardant monitor because of all the flames.

I just keep on responding just to see how upset people get by knowing what goes on in my stateroom.

Just once I would like to get a report of a fire that started on any cruise ship where irons are provided and legal in laundry rooms.

If cruise lines are serious about fires then prevent smoking on board. Smoking is the leading cause of deadly fires in N. America. As soon as that fire hazard is removed will I believe that this topic is as serious as it sounds.

As I understand it, the problem is not that the iron could catch something on fire, but that the wiring in the cabin is NOT designed for a high current draw appliance like an iron. The real fire danger is from a fire starting in the walls because of wiring overheating.

In the ships laundry rooms, the wiring is specifically designed for irons, and the rooms are highly fire resistant.

On our last cruise on the Galaxy, I brought a small, cheapie travel iron. There were two problems with it.

1. It never really got hot enough to do much good.

2. The surface of the iron was no bigger than the palm of my hand. I swear, it took me about ten to fifteen minutes to iron one shirt. :eek: It was the last time I used the iron on that cruise. Or on any cruise!

As I understand it, the problem is not that the iron could catch something on fire, but that the wiring in the cabin is NOT designed for a high current draw appliance like an iron. The real fire danger is from a fire starting in the walls because of wiring overheating.

You mean to tell me that these modern ships don't have fuses to prevent that very thing? Not being an electrician and long removed from my physics... would the "draw" of the hair drier in the bathroom be any lower or impose the same threat? The hose certainly burns my hand..:confused:

I'm not an electrician and I got a D in highs school physics, but here is an observation. When travelling and staying at a hotel, my wife uses her hair dryer and the lights in the room dim slightly. When she pushed to "cold blast" button, which shuts off the heat temporarily but keeps the motor running, the lights brighten. Whenever I have used the iron, not a travel one but the full size, full power one that the hotel supplies, I've never noted the lights dimming.

Regards

When travelling and staying at a hotel, my wife uses her hair dryer and the lights in the room dim slightly. Whenever I have used the iron, not a travel one but the full size, full power one that the hotel supplies, I've never noted the lights dimming.

Regards

That would imply that the hair drier draws more current than an iron.

And admitting that you use the iron....that will impress a lot of posters.:D

Hope this gets the point across.

I have contacted 7 cruise line. All the majors and then some. Everyone of them has been very nice to respond on this issue. Bringing irons on board to press clothing.

It is against policy. It is a "FIRE HAZARD"...IT IS NOT ALLOWED.:eek:

If this is not clear enough for those of you that think it's OK...I guess the thing to do is just ignore all the rules while cruising.

Weather any of us think this a good rule or a bad rule..."IT IS THE RULE."

For whatever reason, all the lines that contacted me back are against bringing irons on board.

I thought rules were ment to be followed...at least that is the way my parents brought me up.;)

Rule 1: Do not bring anything that is 100% cotton. A little nylon content, a little polyester, or a little lycra makes anything washable and dryable in your cabin. (Rule 1 doesn't apply to my DH who insists on bringing 20 pairs of cotton underwear that never dry.)

Rule 2: Hang clothing on towel bar in bathroom. Take the hottest shower you can. Don't open the bathroom door. Steam will freshen up the item.

That's it!

Archived