Outlets

aroundthehorn

Can anyone tell me if the outlet in the cabins on the ncl getaway is three pronged? Thanks.

In a standard balcony/minisuite, there are two 110V 3-prong outlets on the desk across the foot of the bed. There is no power near the bed.

There are no UK outlets on any NCL ship.

There is one European 2-prong plug 220V plug (which is also used for the coffee maker) on the desk.

You should never use a surge protected power strip or device on a ship.

f6273019b80431ebe4f6e06cd08c540b.jpg

Edited by BirdTravels

In a standard balcony/minisuite, there are two 110V 3-prong outlets on the desk across the foot of the bed. There is no power near the bed.

There are no UK outlets on any NCL ship.

There is one European 2-prong plug 220V plug (which is also used for the coffee maker) on the desk.

You should never use a surge protected power strip or device on a ship.

f6273019b80431ebe4f6e06cd08c540b.jpg

This is the standard configuration on every cruise and ship we have been on. You can get adapters from amazon, just make sure they can go into the round, recessed European outlet. The block style, universal adapters from target and such usually do not work. Adapters allow you to use an US plug but does not change the voltage. Fine for most universal voltage phone and tablet/laptop chargers but not a 110v toothbrush.

Hmmm, on the Breakaway & Getaway, there are 4 outlets, 2 3-prong grounded (Type B @15A rated) for 110 volts and 2 2-pins grounded(Type F @16A rated, also compatible with C or E) for 220-240 volts - might be hidden by that Black & Decker Hot Water maker (Insides, Oceanviews & Balconcies/Mini-Suites)

Disconnect the big round Type F plug for the hot water maker, and use the proper adapter to make use of all 4 outlets. iPad/mini's 20W charger using one of the 220 outlet and iPhones 10W charger on the other 220, LED x3 USB nightlight in use. A simple 3 outlet short-extension cord with the Anker 4-port USB charger.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/NCL%20Cruising%20-%20General/IMG160524_1718.jpg

Type C adapter can be used for low power/amp devices, i.e. such as digital camera or smartphone/tablet charger/adapter that operate on auto-sensing dual voltage. Here, I have 2 of them in black, there's a third one on the lower right - it fit perfectly solid on NCL ship's 220-240 outlet. The rectangular one in the upper middle is the one-size, almost fit-all "block" style adapter often sold ... it doesn't stay put & easily fall out, I keep it in my gadget pouch just in case (as noted - best not to buy or use it) Overseas, front desk or housekeeping of better hotels usually have the common & popular adapter plugs available on loan - as they get these requests on a daily basis ... for the occasional & unprepared travelers.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/Travel%20Gadgets/DIMG160401_1135.jpg

Reference chart for various plugs is here - http://www.worldstandards.eu/electricity/plugs-and-sockets/

Jewel/Gem/Dawn class ships, including the Sky have one 220 outlet readily accessible - as the older 4-cup coffee maker and/or water kettle are plugged into 220-240 power, like the high wattage hair dryer.

Some one mentioned not to use a power strip. you can use a power strip just not a surge protected one.

I plug everything into there.

I also have a EU to US convertor I bought for trips overseas that goes 2 to 1 those are nice but power strip is easier.

Hmmm, on the Breakaway & Getaway, there are 4 outlets, 2 3-prong grounded (Type B @15A rated) for 110 volts and 2 2-pins grounded(Type F @16A rated, also compatible with C or E) for 220-240 volts - might be hidden by that Black & Decker Hot Water maker (Insides, Oceanviews & Balconcies/Mini-Suites)

my previous breakaway cruise in an inside cabin did not have a hot water maker or any kind of coffee maker. I am going on the breakaway again in the same inside cabin. Is that something new they are now offering?

... breakaway cruise in an inside cabin did not have a hot water maker or any kind of coffee maker ... Is that something new they are now offering?

No, it was/is not offered for Insides or Oceanviews. But, it's as simple as making a nice & friendly request on embarkation day, speak to our RS in that we needed a few things done, X-Y-Z, etc. and that I would have a yellow "Sticky" reminder in our stateroom when he's not busy while s/he is doing the evening turndown service ... as that's one of the mad crazy day & don't expect her/him to recall all the details.

Also let him know we ususally go to dinner early & sleep late, so to plan his routines.

X - please empty mini-cooler box, we use it for storing our meds & other items

Y - please get us a hot water maker/coffee pot, whatever is available - only regular coffee/packets, no decaf & we use our only tea bags (ginseng, rice tea, etc.)

Z - ice bucket filled (and, we store it inside the cooler box so it's still good overnight)

Note - on that short 3 outlets extension from IKEA, non-surge protected and very light, take minimal luggage space. MicroCenter sells a (new) short 3-prong Type-B 6" extension with an extra 3-prong power tap, UL-listed & inexpensive - look closely in this picture with the Anker plugged in for USB charging.

f64e19fb3dce7b9411eec09774bbe0e7.jpg

Those using CPAP would obviously still need their 12' or 15' long extension cord to run their bedside.

P.S. Enjoy the BA, 3X already for us - going to do the GEM this Spring, we missed the "smaller" ship & simply layout.

Edited by mking8288

• 1 month later...