Laundry facilities on Encore

MomC

Passenger laundry planning ideas for Seabourn Encore?

Once you relocate the Hotel Director to one of the Retreat's 15 cabanas, how about allocating a couple more for a dhoby ghat Mumbai-themed cultural experience cum eco-friendly laundry?

And for those rainy days (yes, it has been known to rain at sea, even on the vaunted Retreat's exclusive deck 12), how about a London East Enders' style laundrette offering service washes? The under-employed Retreat service staff could shift the spun dry clothes to the tumble dryers and later try some folding.

But not be allowed to compete with the traditional full service laundry, obviously.

If Seabourn is looking for new demographics, celebrity or otherwise, to feed the pipeline, and the Retreat is meant to succeed with more punters than bother with it now, here are some creative solutions!

Happy and healthy sailing!

Passenger laundry planning ideas for Seabourn Encore?

Once you relocate the Hotel Director to one of the Retreat's 15 cabanas, how about allocating a couple more for a dhoby ghat Mumbai-themed cultural experience cum eco-friendly laundry?

And for those rainy days (yes, it has been known to rain at sea, even on the vaunted Retreat's exclusive deck 12), how about a London East Enders' style laundrette offering service washes? The under-employed Retreat service staff could shift the spun dry clothes to the tumble dryers and later try some folding.

But not be allowed to compete with the traditional full service laundry, obviously.

If Seabourn is looking for new demographics, celebrity or otherwise, to feed the pipeline, and the Retreat is meant to succeed with more punters than bother with it now, here are some creative solutions!

Markham :D

We receive free laundry, but I have so many pairs of trousers ...

Yes we too receive free laundry but we learnt a long time ago to not bring anything you really care about that you will send out. While 97% of the time it come back fine, sometime whites are no longer white - a dress shirt, for example - or things several sizes smaller. Anything we really care about my wife hand washes and then hang dry. The laundry room we avoid - except for 1st day to iron that night's shirt usually.

When you consider the amount of items the ship's main laundry has to process every day - industrial quantities of bedding, towels, tablecloths, napkins, etc PLUS crew uniforms and now all passenger clothing it's no wonder they don't have time to follow special washing instructions - they just boil the lot! That's why I prefer to do my own thanks. I'm glad that Seabourn has belatedly seen sense but it's a shame they didn't realise this would be a problem in the first place.

What would you folks be saying if we were talking about a land based vacation instead of a cruise?

When you stay at a Ritz Carlton or a Fairmont, you do not have access to laundry machines. However, many Best Westerns have them.

If the lack of passenger laundry machines is a deal breaker for you, pick a different cruise ship.

How many consecutive weeks do YOU spend at Fairmont hotels? If it's more than a week, and you WANTED to use the laundry for your delicates or other togs, and the ONLY Fairmont you were unlucky enough to book into did not have the laundry facility you kinda expected, well, I imagine you would pipe up.

Anyway, and as (almost) everyone now knows, Encore will have a facility fitted in June. Just like those at the other "Fairmonts" of Silversea, Regent and Cunard. Because Seabourn apparently now gets it, and that's all that matters at this point.

Edited by markham

Well posted Markham. Even without washing machines, many of us need ironing facilities. We've already dug out our travelling iron. I hope the installation will be sooner than June as we board in Athens at the beginning of May. It's not a deal breaker but could be a great irritation, and the last thing Seabourn and for that matter other cruise lines is for guests to be irritated.

Absolutely agree with Eliana - we aren't allowed to bring travel irons therefore access to some ironing facilities is fairly crucial when your clothes have been stuck in a suitcase and thrown around airports and ports before arriving :D

30 mins sees all our cottons and linens looking a little more pristine.

One week is manageable but above that I also prefer to wash my own clothes. Have been trying to pack a little less and hand washing white t-shirts/shorts /trousers does not really get the port grime and sun cream out of them :(

Perhaps Seabourn could offer a "Laundry Excursion" in every port.

We meet in the Grand Salon at 9AM with our baskets of soiled clothes. Next our highly experienced Guest Laundry Lecturer will lead us to the Laundry Room where the Chef awaits with morning pastries and hot coffee. At each port we will bring on local entertainers to sing and dance while the machines do their job and turn our dirty unmentionables into fresh, florally fragrant items ready to be worn with pride. As we finish and prepare to return to the ship's more public spaces a photographer will take a souvenir photo of each participant proudly holding up the fruits of the morning's labor. Please book early as these excursions always fill up. And be sure to wear comfortable clothing and shoes."

As we come on long flights to departure ports, with limited luggage - and most of our cruises where four weeks, sometimes with post-cruise holiday arrangements - everybody can assume that the launderettes on cruise ships are very important for travelers like we are.

We don’t like/love to spend hours at the launderettes.

But as ‘BasandSyb’ mentioned, we need to spend little time on sea days or the day between two cruise legs and do the laundry.

You can have nice conversations there with other cruise guests.

:)And enjoy a glass champagne or so, I was told.:)

Absolutely agree with Eliana - we aren't allowed to bring travel irons therefore access to some ironing facilities is fairly crucial when your clothes have been stuck in a suitcase and thrown around airports and ports before arriving :D

30 mins sees all our cottons and linens looking a little more pristine.

One week is manageable but above that I also prefer to wash my own clothes. Have been trying to pack a little less and hand washing white t-shirts/shorts /trousers does not really get the port grime and sun cream out of them :(

I have a small handheld steamer that I purchased a number of years ago. It works quite well and have taken it on cruises before. Actually, in some cases I like it better than an iron. Amazon sells a number of them. Here's the link if you'd like to check it out.

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Home-Kitchen-Travel-Garment-Steamers/zgbs/home-garden/3737831

Hilarious comments Markham and Wripro. Very innovative.

Was wondering how popular The Retreat was. Yet another great idea by the marketing department!

A laundry excursion - LOL.

Surely there is an entrepreneur out there who can meet you at the port gate, whisk your laundry away and bring it back later in the day. Bet it wouldn't be long before Carnival HO got on to that one with a takeover bid.

Comforted that others have heard about the retrofit of a laundry as well.

Now let's hope that Seabourn looks at how that decision was NOT made in the boat design and adjusts its thinking...and at the same time opens its eyes to the tasteless and boring TK offerings. Unfortunately the fact they can produce a 3 course set menu in the Colonnade for a under a buck a head and reduce costs in the other two restaurants with dumbed down selections will win out in the long run. It's getting to the stage where it's only the ship ambience, fellow travellers and staff that are bringing us back as it's certainly not the food.

Hello all. Is there not a laundry and/or pressing service on board? Yes, I agree it's nice to have laundry facilities and do yourself but I would be satisfied if I could still have done through a service (at a reasonable cost).

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

But the point is, that some of us like to do our own clothes washing either in our sinks or in the shipboard self service machine and do our own ironing. Neither self service washing machine nor ironing facilities are aboard Encore at present compared with the other Seabourn ships and all other quality cruise ships.

The omission of a laundry wasn't an oversight, it was a deliberate but not very subtle (Carnival doesn't do subtle) ploy to force guests to pay for their clothes to be boiled, shrunk and scorched in the ship's laundry.

I must say that in my almost fourteen years of sailing on Seabourn, which have included countless laundry services, I have never had anything boiled, shrunk or scorched, In fact, I have often said that I wish my cleaners at home would do as good a job as they do on Seabourn. And Seabourn charges less.

I must say that in my almost fourteen years of sailing on Seabourn, which have included countless laundry services, I have never had anything boiled, shrunk or scorched, In fact, I have often said that I wish my cleaners at home would do as good a job as they do on Seabourn. And Seabourn charges less.

I must say that some comments have also made me feel for the staff onboard coping with all the laundry. I will confess to having the odd misshap with my own treasured garments, rare but no one is perfect. If people want to launder their own fine but don't knock the hard working staff.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm sure no one is knocking the hard working staff. Heaven forbid - anyone sweating it out in a laundry has my respect. We agree that years ago the laundry service on Seabourn was so good my husband would have his suits cleaned on the ship rather than get them done before travelling - not any more. I wonder if there have been staff cuts?

I'd prefer to put all our things through the ship as who really wants to turn their suite into a Chinese laundry. However, gym gear and swimmers will get boiled and thrown in a dryer, and sink washing just won't work on sunscreen and sweat. I have noted Henry's tip about the Molton Brown:). On 35+ days, a machine becomes a necessity.

Also, sometimes you just want to quickly do a touch up with an iron. There's no way I would put a hard working staff member through the whole urgent collect, press and return just to suit my pernickety nature.

I'm pleased with the outcome to retrofit the laundry. I just hope they get the ratio of machinery right to avoid any guest tension.

The omission of a laundry wasn't an oversight, it was a deliberate but not very subtle (Carnival doesn't do subtle) ploy to force guests to pay for their clothes to be boiled, shrunk and scorched in the ship's laundry.

Yes, exactly why some prefer to wash some of their own clothes themselves. I want to select the detergent used (allergic to most highly scented brands) and temperature. I do not want my shirts or trousers shrunk. I like to have someone press my shirts but not launder them. Its all about choice. I don't like to spend a lot of time on vacation doing laundry but can quickly and efficiently do it so that it does not effect my enjoyment of the cruise....just want to have the choice whether to self serve or send out.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Sunprince