Free Pub lunch gone

antsp

We have had the Pub Lunch in the Crown Grill on some ships.

The Pub Lunch is/was? served in the Wheelhouse Bar only on the Crown, Emerald and Ruby.

Just off the Crown and the Pub Lunch was always in the Crown Grill even though there is a Gastropub on the Crown.

Edited by capriccio

For me, these are unhealthy foods that clog ones arteries, lead to heart disease, and starches that convert to sugar, leading to obesity, and Adult diabetes, and associated medical problems. Of course, many PAX must enjoy those kinds of foods, because the line was very long to get into the Pub. And a lot of PAX looked quite satisfied and full from their Pub grub lunch.

Fortunately, there are many healthy options in Princess cuisine these days. :)

Happy cruising in 2017, and God willing, beyond.

Steak and kidney pie is neither fried nor made up of ground up animal parts.

However, I have a feeling you wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

My friends would all agree with you.

No problem, just means there's more for the rest of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

For me, these are unhealthy foods that clog ones arteries, lead to heart disease, and starches that convert to sugar, leading to obesity, and Adult diabetes, and associated medical problems. Of course, many PAX must enjoy those kinds of foods, because the line was very long to get into the Pub. And a lot of PAX looked quite satisfied and full from their Pub grub lunch.

Fortunately, there are many healthy options in Princess cuisine these days. :)

Happy cruising in 2017, and God willing, beyond.

Steak and kidney pie is neither fried nor made up of ground up animal parts.

However, I have a feeling you wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

My friends would all agree with you.

No problem, just means there's more for the rest of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

FWIW, I don't eat organ parts of animals either. Kidneys, sweetbreads, livers, brain, tripe, etc. Thats just me..

But, if you enjoy eating those kind of foods, and they're part of your regular diet, please enjoy. Life is too short to deny yourself the foods you enjoy eating, yes?

May you enjoy good health and many cruises in 2017, and beyond. God willing.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Originally Posted by Kingofcool1947viewpost.gif

FWIW, I don't eat organ parts of animals either. Kidneys, sweetbreads, livers, brain, tripe, etc. Thats just me..

But, if you enjoy eating those kind of foods, and they're part of your regular diet, please enjoy. Life is too short to deny yourself the foods you enjoy eating, yes?

May you enjoy good health and many cruises in 2017, and beyond. God willing.

I don't eat what I delicately refer to as "guts" either. ;)

As for the unhealthy food... I drink liquor. Love beer, wine, (good) scotch, (good) bourbon, etc. I'm pretty sure that is also not very healthy. While the food (and liquor) are definitely fattening and not the healthiest choices, I nevertheless managed to survive a 17 day cruise without gaining a single pound. Perhaps one doesn't necessarily have to gorge in order to enjoy these things?

I don't eat what I delicately refer to as "guts" either. ;)

As for the unhealthy food... I drink liquor. Love beer, wine, (good) scotch, (good) bourbon, etc. I'm pretty sure that is also not very healthy. While the food (and liquor) are definitely fattening and not the healthiest choices, I nevertheless managed to survive a 17 day cruise without gaining a single pound. Perhaps one doesn't necessarily have to gorge in order to enjoy these things?

This is surprisingly similar to another post in this thread. Hmmmm.

jagsfan,

Do they serve the same foods in the Gastropub? Salty Dog? I didn't notice either last month on Regal.

This is a link to the Salty Dog menu. I think the price has gone down since we were on the Crown in August. The menu looks good but I couldn't see spending $20 extra x 4. If I was just with DH, we would try it. Enough good looking options.

http://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/specialty-restaurants/the-salty-dog-gastropub/salty-dog-menu.pdf

This is surprisingly similar to another post in this thread. Hmmmm.

D'Oh! Was revising it but instead managed to post it multiple times. Sigh... Ah, well. Thanks for the heads up.

Back to removing the "fabulous" 70's bogus rock from the front of my fireplace. Just having a great time (NOT!) removing this stuff in prep for a new look and new gas insert.

Edited by Thrak

The Pub Lunch is/was? served in the Wheelhouse Bar only on the Crown, Emerald and Ruby. On the Grand, Golden, Star and Caribbean it is served in the Crown Grill, on the Diamond and Sapphire in a dining room if it is offered on Asian cruises, in the Bayou Cafe on the Coral/Island and in the Sterling Steakhouse on the Pacific.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were on the Ruby and the Crown last year -- on our 10 day cruises they each had the Pub Lunch twice, in the Crown Grill. We've had mixed experiences, but it's fun.
From posts such as yours, I gather that the Pub Lunch may have been moved from the Wheelhouse Bar to the Crown Grill on the Crown, Emerald and Ruby. My point was that they were the only three ships to ever offer the Pub Lunch in the Wheelhouse Bar. My complaint about the original seating and tables in the Wheelhouse is that they were designed for drinking, not eating food. They were too low for chairs to fit under the tables and it was reach to get your food. The new seating, with it's drawbacks, is at least designed for an eating venue.

Just off 31 days on the Crown where the free pub lunch was offered frequently. The Gastropub price was reduced to $12 per person so we were convinced to ty it. The general consensus of our group of 4 was that the food was good but not great. One serious problem I personally experienced was the lack of regular seating. The head waiter for the Gastropub was hawking it at a pub lunch one day and I asked if they had at least one normal height table (I was having mobility problems and pub height seats were not comfortable). He assured me they did. When we showed up a small sitting area with only a coffee size (and height) table was all he could offer! I informed him that wasn't normal height either. Given the average age of Princess passengers I was surprised that more consideration wasn't given to folks who can't handle the tall chairs. We won't be back.

I thought the only ships that had the Salty Dog were the Emerald and the Ruby? Does anyone know if it is on the Star?

As I just posted, before the Salty Dog the Wheelhouse only had the tables you described so that is how the Pub Lunch was served [emoji848] Only the Crown, Emerald and Ruby have food service capability in the Wheelhouse Bar and they will probably be the only ships to get the Salty Dog Gastropub.

Very sad if this is the case. We will be on the Ruby in March and the Pub Lunch is one of the things we look forward to doing. We like he atmosphere. Last couple of cruises we were on the Crown and the Pub Lunch was in the Crown Grille. We tried the Salty Dog, as it was the first week and free. We also had problems with the seating having only a small coffee table, and had to use the walker as a extra table to juggle all the small plates they give to you. The food was okay, but not worth $12.

The English food at the pub lunch was on par with the English food in England.

Not that I'm all that careful about what I eat all the time but I can only wonder if the percentages of heart disease & strokes in the UK are much different with a diet like that.

Also comparable to German night in the Horizon. It's almost impossible to find anything to eat that isn't loaded with fat.