Knee Replacement & Security Checkpoint Requirements

SOMBRERO6

I had knee replacement surgery 18 months ago. Last March I set off alarms at every airport and every time I boarded the ship, at each port. I fully expect it will be the same next month on our Magic cruise! I always told them about my surgery but they still used the wand! Better safe, then sorry!

By showing them the letter, you by-pass the magnetic scanner. In my case, I have an ICD (implanted cardiac device). I can't go through the scanner as it will change the settings in the ICD. I show them my card and they have me walk around it, then hand scan me. It eliminates going through the scanner and setting it off.

I had a pacemaker implanted a little more than a year ago. Have been on 4 cruises since. I just tell them I have a pm, and they walk me around the magnetic scanner and give me a quick pat-down. They are not allowed to wand me, either. I have never shown them my pm card - guess I could show them my scar if they ask!! :D

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone has the answer to this question.

I had a total knee replacement 2 years ago and this is the first cruise I've been on since then. My husband I are sailing on the Vista next month and it occurred to me today that I had better check to see if I need some kind of paperwork for security checkpoint purposes. I know years ago when my mother had knee replacement surgery the doctors office provided her with an ID card, but I never received anything like that, perhaps times have changed. I've got a call into my ortho's office and am waiting to hear back from them and want to make sure I provide them with the information I will need. Do I need a letter or ID card, is this going to be an issue when I go to check in for our cruise?

Thanks in advance for the help to this question.

I had this question two because I had both my knees and one hip done because of ath-ritis. And now I have to use a scooter and their had to handle. I had a letter but I think I lost it.

I too had a knee replacement 2 years ago. I always let the airport security know and they send me for the body scan. Sometimes the scan shows "something" then security pats my knee down. On our cruise Aug 16, I never had a problem with the ship security. I have a card for my knee replacement but security never even looks at it. Enjoy your cruise and don't worry about your knee replacement. Seems like everyone has one these days.

I had knee replacement surgery 18 months ago. Last March I set off alarms at every airport and every time I boarded the ship, at each port. I fully expect it will be the same next month on our Magic cruise! I always told them about my surgery but they still used the wand! Better safe, then sorry!

Yes indeed.

I think some Gremlins got into this thread. The OP was hummingbird63 and their original question is gone (yet quoted) and now SOMBRERO6 is OP? A bunch of helpful responses are now MIA. It's like a whole page is missing or something. WEIRD!!!!!!

Moderate drinking problems :eek: :p

My experience, and that of my wife (2 hips) is that the card is just a piece of paper to be ignored as far as TSA is concerned. Same on the ship. We always get wanded, even after the full body scanner... Oh well, at least we can walk.

Dan

I think some Gremlins got into this thread. The OP was hummingbird63 and their original question is gone (yet quoted) and now SOMBRERO6 is OP? A bunch of helpful responses are now MIA. It's like a whole page is missing or something. WEIRD!!!!!!

I was wondering why I was quoted before my posting, then realized that my posting is missing. That is WEIRD!!!

I had TKR surgery one year ago and have flown and cruised since then.

Flying was just as expected, special treatment with the wand as I pointed to the scar running the length of the middle of my knee:eek:

As to getting on the ship, never was an issue...no bells or whistles sounded.

I Had a Total Left Shoulder Replacement (Titanium) back in 2004 and have a joint replacement card I can present if needed. It did not set off any alarms on last cruise in 2014 (but did once previously at an airport although normally does not) Just recently had Anterior Cervical Disc Fusion done with Titanium screws and plate etc.. will be testing that one out in October on our next cruise. I was told after previous surgery that I should not be setting off any detectors fyi. Have a great cruise!

The worst that could happen is that if you do set the alarm off, they will just wand you after you pass through it. In my case with a implanted cardiac device, I cannot go through the scanners or it will change the settings. I have to show my card to prove that I have one. The devices are so touchy that the small ones by stores doors, I have to make sure I don't stop when going through them.

I Had a Total Left Shoulder Replacement (Titanium) back in 2004 and have a joint replacement card I can present if needed. It did not set off any alarms on last cruise in 2014 (but did once previously at an airport although normally does not) Just recently had Anterior Cervical Disc Fusion done with Titanium screws and plate etc.. will be testing that one out in October on our next cruise. I was told after previous surgery that I should not be setting off any detectors fyi. Have a great cruise!

Titanium does not set off the metal detectors. Cobalt and chromium do.

I also had titanium screws and rods installed for a spinal fusion and did not set off any alarms in any detection system. But after a chromium/cobalt hip replacement. the lights and bell show began at security. I prefer the TSA scanner, I can zip through that with a quick wanding in about 30 secs.