Pride of America - Night before

CruisingLover

Hi

We are sailing on Pride of America in October and are staying at the Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort and Spa for 1 night pre-cruise. I was just wondering if anyone has stayed there and how they liked it. I've NEVER been to Hawaii so I'm sure I'd like ANYTHING!!

Aloha! Have not stayed there but it is in an excellent location. Try reading Oahu TripAdvisor forums but you can walk to so many places to eat and the beach is right across the street! You will love it!

56 Cruises and Counting! Bon Voyage to my fellow CC's and smooth sailing.

Planning a vacay is almost as much fun as the vacay itself!!!

Hi

We are sailing on Pride of America in October and are staying at the Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort and Spa for 1 night pre-cruise. I was just wondering if anyone has stayed there and how they liked it. I've NEVER been to Hawaii so I'm sure I'd like ANYTHING!!

We elected to stay at the Outrigger Waikiki before our POA cruise. There's a link to my review in the signature below if you're interested.

My family and I stayed there before our POA cruise a few years ago. It was a very nice hotel. It is huge and part of the lobby is open air. The beach is across the street. There was an NCL service office downstairs in the lobby area where you could check in for your cruise and ask any precruise questions. The breakfast buffet in their restaurant was wonderful - we still talk about their brown sugar bacon. If you want to read any recent comments, you could check it out on Trip Advisor.com. Have fun in Hawaii!

We are staying at the Marriott Waikiki beach 3 night post cruise in October (We are on the Vancouver to Hawaii leg on the Jewel). Got a great senior rate of $202/night (plus taxes and fees). Some people have mentioned the breakfast buffet being included - is this a special promotion or do you need status with Martiott? We are Silver Elite.

We paid for our breakfast buffet, so not sure. If breakfast is included in your special senior rate then it should say in the rate description. Otherwise I would just ask at checkin if breakfast is included for Silver Elite members. Or they might offer you an upgrade that includes it.

• 5 months later...

We are cruising on the POA in March and picked the pre-cruise stay as our perk. What time is the NCL transfer from the Waikiki Marriott Resort to the pier? We're thinking of hiking Diamond Head before the transfer and just wondering how much time we have.

We stayed at the Mariott Waikiki May 2016 on the 11th floor prior to our POA cruise. Great hotel with nice rooms. They have NCL checkin in the lobby where you go to check in if you did your reservation thru NCL. You get your ship picture taken and are given cruise info/documents including when/where to get your included bus transfer from the hotel to the ship. They also have extra baggage tags there for you so if you did not print your own out, don't worry. You put your bags outside your room if I remember correctly by 8 am embarkation morning and they collect them so you don't have to haul them down to the transfer buses yourself. The next time we saw our bags was on the ship. Easy Peasy. Good location to the beach and a lot of eating places. You are about one block from the beach itself so overall a great location. We did not eat here but the hotel has a lot of options. Hope this helps you out.

We are cruising on the POA in March and picked the pre-cruise stay as our perk. What time is the NCL transfer from the Waikiki Marriott Resort to the pier? We're thinking of hiking Diamond Head before the transfer and just wondering how much time we have.

The transfers are staggered and started about 10-10:15 if I remember correctly. Our transfer time was 11 am.

The transfers are staggered and started about 10-10:15 if I remember correctly. Our transfer time was 11 am.

We stayed at the Mariott Waikiki May 2016 on the 11th floor prior to our POA cruise. Great hotel with nice rooms. They have NCL checkin in the lobby where you go to check in if you did your reservation thru NCL. You get your ship picture taken and are given cruise info/documents including when/where to get your included bus transfer from the hotel to the ship. They also have extra baggage tags there for you so if you did not print your own out, don't worry. You put your bags outside your room if I remember correctly by 8 am embarkation morning and they collect them so you don't have to haul them down to the transfer buses yourself. The next time we saw our bags was on the ship. Easy Peasy. Good location to the beach and a lot of eating places. You are about one block from the beach itself so overall a great location. We did not eat here but the hotel has a lot of options. Hope this helps you out.

Thank you both for the info.

We have the package as well and was thinking of doing Pearl Harbor the day we sail. We have been before and found we needed more time 3 hours was not enough. Do you know if they have late afternoon transfers? We were thinking to be back to the hotel about 4-4:30. Thought we should go to the ship no latter than 5 ish. The hotel would keep our carry-ons there from what our TA said, but she doesn't have transfer times.

Thanks

We have the package as well and was thinking of doing Pearl Harbor the day we sail. We have been before and found we needed more time 3 hours was not enough. Do you know if they have late afternoon transfers? We were thinking to be back to the hotel about 4-4:30. Thought we should go to the ship no latter than 5 ish. The hotel would keep our carry-ons there from what our TA said, but she doesn't have transfer times.

Thanks

If the NCL transfers have ended, you can still easily take a quick taxi. But, I would check the "board by" time on the cruise documents. If the ship sails at 7:00, that's 5:00. I would not cut it too close and risk not being allowed to board. Also, the safety drill is at 4:45 if memory serves. If you miss it, you will need to do the make up drill in Maui at a time of NCL's choosing.

Thanks

Our muster drill was at 4:30. Do you really want to break up your Maui stay with a muster drill? I think you are cutting it too close to get back to the hotel at 4. The pier is not that far but even with a cab, Hawaii traffic is very congested and I would not cut it that close. I don't recall how late the bus transfers went but doubt they were that late in the afternoon.

Staying at Marriott as well for July cruise. Got a great member rate so didn't take NCL pre cruise room offer. Was wondering if we could pay to be included with NCL transfer? Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks for the input folk's. You are right I wouldn't want to do the drill when in Maui. I am thinking of adding another day pre-cruise. The day we arrive rest and poke around. Full day do Pearl and no worry when we get back to the hotel. Then the day we sail (boarding cards etc. done at the hotel) just work our way to the ship after a quiet lunch maybe a little shopping in the AM while the guys sleep in :).

Staying at Marriott as well for July cruise. Got a great member rate so didn't take NCL pre cruise room offer. Was wondering if we could pay to be included with NCL transfer? Any help would be much appreciated

I think I have read that you can. I'd ask at the NCL desk. If it's a freebie, and you are OK with going with their schedule, fine. But if they are going to charge you, I'd compare to taxi or shuttle prices on your own which may be the same or, likely cheaper ( Johnny Cab I believe is one ) and go on your own schedule.

The NCL desk is ONLY for people who booked the hotel from NCL directly.

We stayed pre-cruise and are now staying post-cruise at the Hilton Waikiki Beach right across the street from the Marriott.

The Marriott looks nice. We ate at the buffet at the Kuhio Beach Grill for breakfast one morning and it was great but expensive: $35 per person.

The Hilton was about $50 cheaper per night with no resort fee.

Beware though, it appears that there is alot of homeless and drug addicts in the beach are down here near these 2 hotels. Make sure to be be careful. We almost just had an altercation about 20 minutes ago with one outside McDonald's right across from the Marriott.