When a category goes to Guarantee...

mafig

I've been watching a Silhouette cruise in the A2 category for a while now.

It's before final payment.

Aqua Class has just gone to Guarantee (although A2 is still available for $50 p/p more). I would certainly still book the A2 because I don't want the A1.

However, those of you who watch pricing, can you tell me your thoughts.

This cruise is over Easter and it's priced lower not higher than the other sailings.

My thinking is that the price of airfare is high over Easter, so that may be the reason the price is lower. (I'm also watching other ships and that particular week is also the lowest).

Trying to decide if I should book now or wait because we're only a week until final payment. What would you do?:confused:

OK, I'll try that. Thank you

However, there are lots of rooms available in A2 category.

I also wanted to ask if they put a Guarantee on a cabin category, does that mean that the prices for the regular category (not Gty), ever still go down, or does that mean that's it.

Hope you're following this, because I'm starting to confuse myself -- lol]:o

Edited by mafig

I agree with Florence.

Whatever the reason, Guarantee rates generally appear when they are trying to move cabins and whether it's because of the price of airfare or something else you should see a few too many cabins available on the UK website.

As far as a GTY rate meaning anything... it's tough to say. I've seen GTY rates early on followed by price drops and price increases. My usual rule is to book the cruise if I really want that sailing and I'm OK with the price. I'm OK rolling the dice if going on that specific sailing isn't a high priority.

I also wanted to ask if they put a Guarantee on a cabin category, does that mean that the prices for the regular category (not Gty), ever still go down, or does that mean that's it.

I am following, but, I am not sure how to advise. If it were ME, I would follow my gut which would probably be saying to wait until after final payment since there is a lot of availability. Or, you could book a lesser category, with the idea of paying to move up, if price drops. I do watch prices A LOT, but, I have never paid much attention to or noticed the scenario you are speaking of. Hopefully, someone will come along and will advise.

There is little consistency on pricing....any price can go up or down at any time...before/after final payment. Don't try to figure out when the lowest price will be.....if you're comfortable with the current price and perks offered, book it.

We booked our December (2016) Silhouette cruise as an A2 QTY because that was all that was available (in AQ Class) about 10 days before the final payment cutoff. We were assigned an A2 the day we made our final payment (about 5 days after booking) and IMO it was one of the worse locations possible in the A2 Class (directly under the gym). I called the Captains Club and they quickly moved us to another A2 at a much better location. A few days from departure (less than 10) a SS2 (aft location) opened up and we were able to grabbed that cabin for just $600 total (and we got to keep out "Go Best" and $300 OBC that was part of our original booking).

Bottomline IMO, do not expect to get a cabin assignment higher than what you booked and be prepared for an undesired location. If you can get a desired confirmed cabin type and location when booking, I would recommend that you go for it. (BTW - - Princess seems to be different in this QTY booking game. Everytime that I have booked a QTY with them, our final assigned cabin was one category higher than booked (just a better location.)

(BTW - - Princess seems to be different in this QTY booking game. Everytime that I have booked a QTY with them, our final assigned cabin was one category higher than booked (just a better location.)

I hope you're right...We have a guaranteed MB cabin on an upcoming Princess Cruise and it would be nice to be moved to M1 and enjoy their new club class.

Bottomline IMO, do not expect to get a cabin assignment higher than what you booked and be prepared for an undesired location. If you can get a desired confirmed cabin type and location when booking, I would recommend that you go for it. (BTW - - Princess seems to be different in this QTY booking game. Everytime that I have booked a QTY with them, our final assigned cabin was one category higher than booked (just a better location.)

I'm not considering booking the GTY, just was looking at the pricing, hoping that the A2 would come down, and today I saw the GTY and wondered if that meant that hope that the A2 would come down would be diminished.

Are we talking about the same cruise? Silly on 4/16? YES

We booked on board last year but with final payment coming up...I think we want to check out our options. Just may have to lose our perks in the process...

Hope to join your roll call, if I can ever make up my mind, that is.:o

I hope you're right...We have a guaranteed MB cabin on an upcoming Princess Cruise and it would be nice to be moved to M1 and enjoy their new club class.

I doubt that they would move you to a CC cabin, but who knows. You may want to check the current price of a CC cabin because for us an M1/CC was only about $100 more p/p than a mini-QTY for our 1/28 Regal cruise. However, by what has been reported on this board CC cabins are much more expensive now. I think we booked at just the right moment (after final payment date) and before the CC class became more widely known.

I think it depends on how low the GTY rate is and what perks are included. Our summer cruise never went lower on the GTY rate after final payment, but who knows what's going to happen on your sailing. You may find the rate is favourable with more pax and decent cabin locations start to become sparse. It depends what's important to you - I know some pax do think that many of the Aqua cabin locations are in undesirable positions, so be sure to keep this in mind if you decide to wait ;).

- I know some pax do think that many of the Aqua cabin locations are in undesirable positions, so be sure to keep this in mind if you decide to wait ;).

I've identified 15 cabins that are A2 that are available and that I would be happy with. So I look every day. If it get down to 10 or so, then I'll decide.

However, just today I noticed Equinox's itineraries, and I think I like them too.:o