Cruising for our Honeymoon. What should we look for?

roaddogg1986

My fiance and I are getting married September 23rd :) and our plan is to go on the Celebrity Equinox Caribbean Cruise on September 25th. We've never been on a cruise ship before and there seem to be so many options that we're not sure where to start. These forums have been the biggest help so I decided to sign up and start asking my own questions.

-When would be the best time to book our trip? We are looking at the Concierge Class and want the "Go Best" premium package for the best price. Awhile back I saw the packages were free for that class but missed the sale. Any ideas if that will happen again?

-We are sort of foodies and are wondering if its worth getting the Ultimate Specialty Dining package or stick with a simple three meal and eat in the main dining the rest of the time.

-We have recently fell in love with snorkeling(and pending some upcoming training, Scuba Diving) and we are wondering whether we should book excursions early or on board?

-Are the celebration packages worth their large price tags for honeymooners?

-The real big question here is, we want to be able to eat, drink and enjoy the ship entertainment without having to worry about extra costs. What package or packages should we pre-purchase so everything is worry free?

Thanks everyone.

My fiance and I are getting married September 23rd :) and our plan is to go on the Celebrity Equinox Caribbean Cruise on September 25th. We've never been on a cruise ship before and there seem to be so many options that we're not sure where to start. These forums have been the biggest help so I decided to sign up and start asking my own questions.

-When would be the best time to book our trip? We are looking at the Concierge Class and want the "Go Best" premium package for the best price. Awhile back I saw the packages were free for that class but missed the sale. Any ideas if that will happen again? NO ONE except Celebrity knows that

-We are sort of foodies and are wondering if its worth getting the Ultimate Specialty Dining package or stick with a simple three meal and eat in the main dining the rest of the time. Completely up to you, but the food in the MDR (Main dining room) was perfectly fine so it really depends on your budget

-We have recently fell in love with snorkeling(and pending some upcoming training, Scuba Diving) and we are wondering whether we should book excursions early or on board? EARLY, no brainer on that one. You can always cancel if necessary

-Are the celebration packages worth their large price tags for honeymooners? IMO, no. There are much better things to spend your $ on.

-The real big question here is, we want to be able to eat, drink and enjoy the ship entertainment without having to worry about extra costs. What package or packages should we pre-purchase so everything is worry free? Your biggest bill might likely be for beverages, so the packages would be important. You might want to book now to get the cabin or category you want and then keep a look out for the packages to come back. If you are outside of the "final payment date" you can rebook at that time.

Thanks everyone.

First of All, CONGRATS.

Everyone is going to have their opinions, so these are just my own.

Just a few tips.

Ship excursions, although at times more expensive than private arrangements, do make sure you get back to the ship before it leaves. I have not heard of many if any times a private excursion did not do that, but it is something to think about.

If a certain activity is IMPORTANT read up on it in Cruise Critic and book it to guarantee getting it.

There are different degrees of foodies. Most folks are extremely well satisfied by the meals served in the main dining room (MDR). A package might be nice, especially if you like the added ambiance and level of service of the specialty venues.

Alcohol packages depend on your taste.

The following liquors and drinks made from them, including frozen drinks, are included in the CLASSIC package.

Exceptions would be things like those huge martinis served at the martini bar.

Many of the following included brands were only a few years ago considered TOP SHELF but again just a matter of taste.

Smirnoff

• Absolut

• Absolut Flavors

• Stolichnaya

• Stoli Flavors

Beefeater

• Gordon's

• Tanqueray

Bacardi

• Bacardi Flavors

• Myer's

• Malibu

• Bacardi Oakheart Spiced Rum

• Bacardi 8

Campari

• Amaretto

• Frangelico

• Kahlua

• Tia Maria

• Pimms 1

• Cointreau

• Chambord

• Bailey'sIrish Cream

• Drambuie

Almost NONE of the beers on board are my taste but there is always one that is at most barely drinkable.

Wines: Again very much up to one's own taste. If you are into wines do some searches and see what OTHERS think. Once again, I have always found one on the Classic that would suffice.

Celebration packages look to be expensive and nothing really special.

As for worry free, get travel insurance and a beverage package then wing it the rest of the way.

********After your first day on board, and after a good read of all that is offered as complimentary and extra, you will have a better idea. You almost always can get specialty reservations.*********

Have a great cruise. We have never had a bad one in 17 years and after more than 23 or so voyages.

bosco

Edited by boscobeans

Congratulations!

You are going to have a great time. I would go ahead and book the GO Best package. You will have the greatest choices of room and ship location.If you are booking a Concierge Cabin you might give consideration to the ones on the hump of the ship as the balconies are larger even though they don't appear to be so on the deck plans.If you see later on down the line they start offering it again at a reduced price you can cancel your reservation. Then rebook the new package. You do run the chance of losing your original room choice though.

We enjoy the main dining room and there are some good choices. The specialty restaurants vary in quality and cuisine and opinions vary but I would book at least a few for your special occasion. We had dinner in QSine last night and it the room was good not amazing but it was just a lot of fun eating there.

With the premium drink package you can drink quite a lot without having to worry about an up charge. A few of the more expensive wines by the glass require you to pay the difference. A few cocktails at the World Class bar are over the limit and the martini flight at the martini bar.

I'm onboard now so any specific questions ask away.

Ron

We did the celebration package for our anniversary that included Dom, Specialty Restaurant for 2, cake, and flowers. It was very nice and worth the money, based on what the Dom and Restaurant would cost you.

Also, on excursions, if you have OBC, you can wait to book on board and use it. That said, there is risk it may be sold out.

Also, look at booking a suite, if price is justified as you then have access to Luminae. It is quite nice and exclusive to Suites so a definite upgrade on the MDR food, but, that said, MDR is good too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

My one thought is to save some money and not go for CC. The benefits are pretty limited vs the cost. Look for a nice 1B or 1A, cabins are the same size on S class ships. As far as food, see what the upgrade cost is for Aqua vs buying some specialty restaurants. We were upgraded to Aqua on our last cruise on the Silhouette and we really enjoyed BLU. Never felt the need for specialty dining. That said, it is a cost decision, our next cruise we are back to a regular vernada becuase Aqua was an extra $2000, you can do a lot of specialty dining for less than that if the MDR is not up to your desires.

Mostly just go and have fun. Enjoy the sunshine, explore the ports, the ship and unwind from the wedding build up.

Someone posted earlier this week about an Online Cruise Travel agent they use where they are giving all perks for Oceanview and up. The post has been deleted because they used the name of the TA which you can't do here. But if you google Cruise Outlet you can find it (my search it was the 4 one down) and starts w/ a C.

I also agree that on a S class ship choosing a Concierge cabin isn't worth it unless you really like the location or if it's the same price as a regular balcony.

Wow! You have all been a big help. I think we are going to book soon to get the right spot. The wife to be really wants the concierge. As small as the perks are she likes perks(especially priority check in). Although I'll mention to her about the BLU restaurant in lieu of the specialty dining for Aqua Class. If the suites go on sale at some point we will surely upgrade for the full benefit. For now the $2000 difference isn't worth it to us.

I've heard about the hump being the best rooms for Concierge Class but unfortunately it seems almost every room on the hump is booked up. All that remain are three rooms on floor 9(9241,9296,9298) and one on floor 12(2110). I was hoping for floor 11 as I hear it has the best service.

However, there are two rooms available on the aft of the ship (9382 and 1674). These are also suggested to have larger balconies but is the aft of the ship a good spot?

Also, if we book now and something goes on sale that requires us to cancel and re-book (before final payment date) to obtain the deal, would we require travel insurance to cancel without penalties or does that only affect us after final payment?

Congratulations to both of you. We are boarding the Equinox the week after you. In all honesty...I would talk to a reputable Travel Agent first. Since this is your first cruise, they will be able to help you and may even throw in a few perks. Have a wonderful honeymoon :)

You may always cancel before final payment. However, I did not have to cancel anything when I changed my cruise. I had the same reservation number, deposit, etc. they just made the change and sent me a new invoice. Also had all of my same perks. We will be in our first aft cabin next year, I can't wait ! And if there isn't a huge difference in cost, I would also recommend Aqua class over concierge, we loved the food and service. It was like being in a restaurant every night.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

First off, CONGRATULATIONS!

Wow! You have all been a big help. I think we are going to book soon to get the right spot. The wife to be really wants the concierge. As small as the perks are she likes perks(especially priority check in). Although I'll mention to her about the BLU restaurant in lieu of the specialty dining for Aqua Class. If the suites go on sale at some point we will surely upgrade for the full benefit. For now the $2000 difference isn't worth it to us.

Also, if we book now and something goes on sale that requires us to cancel and re-book (before final payment date) to obtain the deal, would we require travel insurance to cancel without penalties or does that only affect us after final payment?

Normally price drops don't require a cancel-rebook before final payment is due. Once final payment is made you aren't usually able to get further savings, but cancellation penalty depends on how close you are to the sail date. Celebrity outlines this on their FAQ (http://www.celebritycruises.com/frequently-asked-questions#faq5970) and it should be described in your cruise documents if you've already made a deposit.

One thing to keep in mind is that some travel insurance requires payment at or very near the time of making the deposit to get full benefits... this varies by insurance policy though as some allow payment at final payment to lock in full benefits. Some credit cards carry partial travel insurance, and not everyone insures their trips. It's insurance... so you know it will cost you something, but the benefit is that it limits your downside risk; DW and I always carry it, but I know some people <shrug>.

I'm a fan of booking earlier and then keeping tabs on the pricing to try to either lock in price drops, or try to upgrade. Our upcoming Feb cruise we started out booked in a balcony, then upgraded to CC, and then locked in an AQ-guarantee (all at progressively lower prices). I had hoped to upgrade to a sky suite (suite guarantee to be more precise), but they sold out before prices fell low enough for me to pull the trigger. I suggest booking the lowest category at a price you can "live" with; and then keep your eyes peeled for a price break or better cabin - worst case you're OK with the first booking, best case you might save some money, get a better cabin, or both.

W.r.t. drinks - The biggest difference I noticed between classic and premium bev pkg was the wine options. I'm a bit picky on my wines, and had a hard time finding a cab sauv I liked on the classic pkg. The reds on the prem pkg were a noticeable step up (but still not great). The biggest shortcoming imho on the classic pkg is that you have to pay full price on wines above your pkg cutoff, while on premium pkg you only pay the difference between your pkg cutoff ($12 or $14 per glass... can't remember exact amount). So a $16 glass of wine costs a couple bucks on the premium package, but runs the full $16 if you're on the classic package. Also, the cost per glass on Celebrity is pretty high; if you both like to have a few cocktails a day the beverage package could be a real $ saver. If you're paying for the beverage package (versus it being a free perk) you can always start with the classic pkg and then upgrade to premium later in the cruise if you find that the classic pkg isn't cutting it for you. We also had table mates that split packages, she had classic and he had premium and they sort of figured out between the two of them how to order drinks to best suit the situation. One often got a nice wine (prem pkg) while the other often got a cocktail or the house sparkling wine (classic pkg - unless you have a specific top shelf liquor you have to have).

For 2017 Celebrity now offers buy by the number of nights you want Dining Packages rather than the Ultimate Dining Package. So if you are on a 10 night cruise, you can purchase from 3-10 nights of specialty dining. They haven't fully explained it yet and no one has posted about the packages yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I've heard about the hump being the best rooms for Concierge Class but unfortunately it seems almost every room on the hump is booked up. All that remain are three rooms on floor 9(9241,9296,9298) and one on floor 12(2110). I was hoping for floor 11 as I hear it has the best service.

However, there are two rooms available on the aft of the ship (9382 and 1674). These are also suggested to have larger balconies but is the aft of the ship a good spot?

The priority check-in can be a bit of a joke. It all depends on who's running the process and how many other priority passengers there are.

We are big fans of Aqua Class and Blu plus the Persian Gardens. We haven't cruised in a regular balcony cabin in years. We watch prices and don't feel that we are paying that much more for the category.

Since your bride will be traveling with a passport in her current name, make sure you book the reservation in that name, not her brand-new married name.

Congrats! We get CC at times but only if the price is not much more than a regular veranda. I like the footstools (CC and up get footstools on the balcony).

You can always book a CC now then price watch. You'd be surprised how they fluctuate. Keep an eye on them weekly as one week a AQ will cost less than a CC. It happens a lot.

Cabin 1075 is available. It has a super large balcony. Sailed in it once. And deck 11 doesn't get better service than deck 10. Seriously, you will ever know the difference. We've sailed next to suites a few times and the service was as it usually is, very good.

Last tip is go through a travel agent that will give you some on boar credit (OBC). This will take care of any incidentals you have on board.

enjoy

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. It is great you are planning ahead for this trip by checking out your questions with fellow passengers.

I love the Aft cabins - it is very relaxing to sit and watch the wake and sunset. It is also very sunny - and in the Caribbean sometimes too hot to sit on the balcony! I also agree with the others that concierge class is not that great unless it is very close in price to regular balconies. In fact out next cruise it was cheaper - so we will be in a cc balcony in February. I have lowered our fare 3 times since I booked onboard the last cruise in September - and we are paying about half what we booked at for the Silhouette. I did the same thing on the West Coast Cruise - our price was lowered 4 times before final payment. Keep checking the prices before final payment. Use other websites too - Celebrity's site does not easily show all the rooms that are available.

Consider taking private tours rather than ship's tours. Check the ports thread for the islands you will be visiting. There are great snorkeling places. We take private excursions on islands - except when you go to other islands (for example, from St. Thomas to St. John). We have really enjoyed the smaller groups. We did the Captain Bob Cass tour in St. Marten which was great if you like swimming, snorkeling, and fast boats. We did a tour with Godfrey on St. Thomas which included an island tour, time to shop and several hours at your choice of a couple beaches. We did a great tour with Levi Baron in Dominica which included snorkeling, walking a gorge and swimming at a falls.

The ship guarantees it will wait for you on their tours - which is important! However, in 42 cruises I have not had a problem with private tours.

My one thought is to save some money and not go for CC. The benefits are pretty limited vs the cost. Look for a nice 1B or 1A, cabins are the same size on S class ships.

The veranda cabins on the Equinox are very very nice. IMHO you're just throwing money away to go to a higher category than that. Look for a deck that has no public rooms above or below it.

If you want to use the Persian Gardens hot stone tile beds you can buy a pass in the Spa for about $100 p\p for unlimited use for the length of the cruise. Get it when you first get on board, they only sell a limited number. Some of the people in higher categories don't realize this.

You're allowed to bring 2-750ml bottles of wine on board with you. Make them NICE bottles ( maybe your Dom Perignon). If you let your waiter in the MDR know that it is your honeymoon and you would like a cake they will take care of it for you (just tip him accordingly at the end of the cruise). I wouldn't worry about the Honeymoon package they try to sell you. You can do a lot better by putting the pieces together on your own. The Cafe al Bacio on deck 5 has nice cake and cookies at no extra charge. Room service has some nice things and you can have the great stuff from the Oceanview Cafe to bring to your cabin.

I've cruised from Port Everglades a few times. You don't need priority boarding. It has never taken us more than 45 minutes to board the ship and we don't have priority boarding. It is a modern facility and there is plenty of comfortable seating. We usually get there about 11:00 so we can enjoy the day on the ship. We like to put our swimsuits in our carry-on so we can change in a rest room and get our vacation started right away.

The food in the MDR is very good, don't let other people talk it down. You can always eat in one of the specialty dining rooms for a very special night.

The food in Blu is health conscious eating( just what you want on a cruise, not), My dear one ran into a woman who ate in Blu and she was amazed that we had had lamb twice already in the MDR.

You may want to book excursions in advance if you particularly like one. However you are probably overpaying. Reputable Tour operators on the islands know that if they don't stick to ship time schedules with plenty of time to spare the bad word will get around.

I would join your roll call and ask what other people are doing on the islands you are going to. Mention the snorkeling and scuba. You can also scroll Ports of Call on the message board for ideas.

Please enjoy luxuriating in the Solarium. You will find it to be quite relaxing after the hustling around for all the wedding prep and the day itself.

You want to have the Drink of the Day, especially the Mudslide, the Bon Voyage and the Bahama Mama.

Remember: it's not about how much money you spend while on board, it's about making the time you spend on board together special.

Just don't disturb the people in the cabin next door at 2 in the morning.

Relax, enjoy, have fun. Best wishes for a wonderful life of married bliss.

Edited by NordicPrince