**Solo to Singapore! Live From the Diamond- January 17, 2017**

TracieABD

Good morning form North Carolina-

Something completely unexpected and magical happened last night (get your minds out of the gutter)- I actually slept. That never happens. You know when you are in the final stages before you travel and you begin the countdown for your "go to sleeps"- I have 4 more go-to-sleeps before I go, etc... Well, in my world that is a bit of a lie. Because traditionally, my last go-to-sleep is never a get-to-sleep. I lay awake, toss and turn, get up, check for my passport, turn on the computer, turn off the computer, pet the dogs, get up, lay down, adjust the alarm- you get the idea. But not last night- I decided to go to bed around 9 pm and woke up at 3 am, rolled over, and slept til 5:00! That's a great night's sleep!

So now I am puttering and drinking coffee and putting the last things away. My personal Uber driver arrives at 8:45 to whisk me away to the airport- and that is it- all of the months of planning and fretting- I will be on my way.

The weather is clear here in Charlotte and is expected to be clear in NY. I am hoping for an uneventful (albeit long) ride to the other side of the planet. I am also hoping that my luggage arrives with me. And that my seat mate on the plane practices general hygiene, is not a talker, and does not projectile vomit all over my leg (read the last live from blog for that little ditty:eek:) I hope that the cabbie in Singapore can find my hotel and that I will have a place to store my luggage. But mostly, I just hope for safe and uneventful. Did I mention uneventful???

I guess I will go and check for my passport and weigh my luggage one more time.

Anyone else awake?

Tracie-Lynn:):)

Something completely unexpected and magical happened last night (get your minds out of the gutter)- I actually slept. That never happens. You know when you are in the final stages before you travel and you begin the countdown for your "go to sleeps"- I have 4 more go-to-sleeps before I go, etc... Well, in my world that is a bit of a lie. Because traditionally, my last go-to-sleep is never a get-to-sleep. I lay awake, toss and turn, get up, check for my passport, turn on the computer, turn off the computer, pet the dogs, get up, lay down, adjust the alarm- you get the idea. But not last night- I decided to go to bed around 9 pm and woke up at 3 am, rolled over, and slept til 5:00! That's a great night's sleep!

So now I am puttering and drinking coffee and putting the last things away. My personal Uber driver arrives at 8:45 to whisk me away to the airport- and that is it- all of the months of planning and fretting- I will be on my way.

The weather is clear here in Charlotte and is expected to be clear in NY. I am hoping for an uneventful (albeit long) ride to the other side of the planet. I am also hoping that my luggage arrives with me. And that my seat mate on the plane practices general hygiene, is not a talker, and does not projectile vomit all over my leg (read the last live from blog for that little ditty:eek:) I hope that the cabbie in Singapore can find my hotel and that I will have a place to store my luggage. But mostly, I just hope for safe and uneventful. Did I mention uneventful???

Anyone else awake?

Have a great trip and time Tracie ! Our best wishes and prayers go with you . :) :D

Anyone else awake?

Safe travels!! Sounds like an exciting adventure and I will be following along too. I hope you can post some photos. Have a great time:)

Bon Voyage Tracie!

I'm booked solo on a 10-day Singapore cruise on the Sapphire in December so I'll be following your escapades closely in the hope that I pick up some tips on travelling to and from Singapore.

Safe and happy travels.

Edited by Croptop

Tracie,

Have a wonderful time. Following closely as we will be on the diamond in March. Meeting up with our daughter for her last R & R ( she is in Afghanistan ).

We just took an upsell form a Mini to Penthouse suite on Caribe. ( bring on the suite perks).

Interested in all aspects of the ship and highlights of Singapore.

Bon Voyage!

Hi friends-

I have made it to the airport after a wonderful drive with my personal Uber driver. Actually, she has been a friend a lot longer than she has been an Uber driver- and it is always great to have a person I love take me to or from the airport.

I am all checked in and waiting to board the first flight. This is the CLT to JFK leg. I've got my smoothie and have located a primo spot for people watching.

One note- If you have Global Entry and/or TSA Precheck- You.Do.NOT.have.to.remove.your.liquids.or.laptop. Just saying. I got that guy in front of me in the TSA Precheck line. He took off everything, took out his liquids and laptop, took off his shoes.... The TSA agent just looked at me, shook her head, and said, "rookies". Yep. Don't be like that guy.

If the truth were told, I think I am more nervous about this trip than any other. Ever. It is really far, far away.

One other note- It is a veritable hospital clinic at the airport- Everybody seems to have a respiratory something or other. Yikes! I am taking ZiCam like it is my job. The last thing I want to do is get some big old "man cold" on this trip. (If you need a reference for the "man cold cruise of 2015"- please see the live from thread for January 2015 Royal- in my signature line below). I am grateful that I bumped into that bottle of zinc tabs this morning. I will call this a classic example of serendipity.

I will cut this entry here, and then try to answer questions while the wifi is free and I have time to kill---

Anyone need a Zicam tablet???

Tracie-Lynn :):)

Bon voyage from your fellow friendly North Carolinian! Hope you (and Mom) have a great trip, I'll be following along.

Can you post your itinerary?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi SBG!

I am trying to actually get out of NC right now!

Here is the itinerary for the cruise:

TRAVEL ITINERARY

Sunday Jan. 15- Wed. Jan 17- Self tour of Singapore

MALAYSIAN PENINSULA & INDONESIA

Cruise Itinerary

Tue, 01/17/17 Singapore

Check In 12:00pm-5:00pm – 6:00pm

Wed, 01/18/17 At Sea

Thu, 01/19/17 At Sea

Fri, 01/20/17 Bali (benoa), Indonesia

Tender Required

wheelchair Access Limited 7:00am – 5:00pm

Sat, 01/21/17 At Sea

Sun, 01/22/17 At Sea

Mon, 01/23/17 Kuala Lumpur (port Kelang), Malaysia

8:00am – 7:00pm

Tue, 01/24/17 Penang, Malaysia

8:00am – 8:15pm

Wed, 01/25/17 Phuket, Thailand

Tender Required 9:00am – 6:00pm

Thu, 01/26/17 At Sea

Fri, 01/27/17 Singapore

7:00am

I hope this is what you are looking for!

Keep me posted on the weather in the Old North State!

TL

Hi, Tracie Lynn!

Just a tip about Singapore - taxi drivers (at least as of last year) do not take Visa cards. Everywhere else, it's widely accepted, but for some odd reason, not taxis. Also, you probably know, but no chewing gum (can't even purchase it in the country!). Very clean, pretty city, but hot & humid! 😀

Tracie,

Have a wonderful time. Following closely as we will be on the diamond in March. Meeting up with our daughter for her last R & R ( she is in Afghanistan ).

We just took an upsell form a Mini to Penthouse suite on Caribe. ( bring on the suite perks).

Interested in all aspects of the ship and highlights of Singapore.

Bon Voyage!

That sounds amazing! I have to wonder about the upgrades and upsells on the Diamond. I received an upgrade from the lowest category inside to a midship balcony. Makes me feel like my mom was behind that- she would have never been happy in an inside!

Hi, Tracie Lynn!

Just a tip about Singapore - taxi drivers (at least as of last year) do not take Visa cards. Everywhere else, it's widely accepted, but for some odd reason, not taxis. Also, you probably know, but no chewing gum (can't even purchase it in the country!). Very clean, pretty city, but hot & humid! 😀

Thank you for the tip with the taxi drivers. I will need to pull some Singapore dollars from an ATM.

I did know about the chewing gum. I have a very large bucket of gum (I just love gum!)- but will glad surrender it, if need be. I would never spit it on the street... (Which is the basis for the law)- Ewwwwww....

TL

Bon Voyage Tracie!

I'm booked solo on a 10-day Singapore cruise on the Sapphire in December so I'll be following your escapades closely in the hope that I pick up some tips on travelling to and from Singapore.

Safe and happy travels.

Depending on your ports, I have booked all private shore excursions, so this may help you...

What are your port stops?

Tracie,

I'll try and find you at the hotel in Singapore on Sunday afternoon. I'm flying from China on Sunday morning. I guess I should start packing (naaaa, I'll do it tomorrow when I get back from the dentist).

Everything is set... except for buying U.S. and Singapore dollars. I'll be gone for more than a month with seventeen nights in Kep, Cambodia (I may see the Diamond sailing by from my balcony) and four nights in Phnom Penh post-cruise before flying back to China.

I'm looking forward to some tropical weather - it's going down to 5 below here at night!

Cheers,

Bill

Hi Bill-

Probably about the time you arrive, I will be in the lounge trying to caffeinate up- I land at 7 am- and am hoping to hit the ground running!

Safe travels!

Can't believe this trip is FINALLY here! I am SO. FREAKING. EXCITED....Tracie you are going to have an amazing time! I'm pulling out the popcorn now to sit back enjoy. Your mom would be so happy for you! Bon voyage baby!!!!! Your public anxiously awaits your every adventure!

Cheers,

Natalie

P.S...good luck with the shower curtain!

Depending on your ports, I have booked all private shore excursions, so this may help you...

What are your port stops?

Hello again Tracie,

Thanks for posting your itinerary (in your response to SunsetBeachGal). Your itinerary is exactly the same as mine so I'll be avidly digesting everything you post in this thread.

Keep popping that ZiCam and stay away from all of the travellers with the hacking coughs!

YAY !!!! :D

So happy to read another "Live From" from Tracie.

I take you're doing this cruise without "Brad" (or have I mixed you up with someone else?)

Have a safe, quiet flight and can't wait to hear about the cruise. :D

Hi Friends!

The time has come- and this is a bit strange for me- I am starting my thread 5 days early- because....

.... Wait for it....

I leave tomorrow morning to begin my travels from Charlotte, North Carolina to Singapore! EEEEEeeeeee I am so excited, I can hardly stand myself!

First, a little background... This is a Do-Over cruise. Two years ago in January 2015, my mom and I were going to do this cruise. A few months before, she fell and broke her other hip- and even though she had healed, the long flight to Singapore was worrisome. Right before we were to leave Charlotte, we received what we now refer as "The Mother of All Move Over Offers". We took the deal- and did not go to Singapore. In June of 2015, my mom and I did a British Isles cruise- and it was our last hurrah. Nine days after we returned home, she suffered a massive stroke and 5 days later she was gone. So this cruise has been haunting me for a while now- and this summer, with your kind encouragement- I decided to just do it! So, my mom (in her new "condensed" form) and I are headed to sail away on the Diamond. She no longer warrants a cruise fare- and she packs in neatly in my carry-on.

I fly Delta to JFK tomorrow mid day and then fly from JFK to SIN at 8 pm tomorrow night. It is a really long flight. I will land on January 15- so somewhere a whole day gets sucked into the cosmos. I did upgrade myself to Premium Economy on Singapore Air (SQ)- so I hope that will help to facilitate a little sleep. We also land in Frankfurt (I grew up there) to refuel and change crews. But we will reboard the same plane and fly on to Singapore landing at 6:50 am.

I am packed and pretty organized, but work has been so crazy, that I will probably be up much of the night trying to get all of the last minute stuff done. Last minute laundry, clean the car, final packing, update the TiVo, etc...

So what am I doing? Hanging out with you people- my cruising soul-mates.

I will stop here and go do the boring stuff, but look for some news tomorrow!

Can I pack you all in my suitcase? Will I meet the luggage requirement?

Have a wonderful trip, I cant wait to read about it!

HI friends! I am in at JFK, waiting for the Singapore Airlines counter to open in 45 minutes. Then I can drop my luggage and pick up my boarding pass. I might or might not have over packed!!c7aa575c3b0d712c1f93caa788bb547c.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk