Emerald covered mini vs. Dolphin extended balcony

MJC

Am trying to decide which is more important, having shade and privacy vs. a bigger balcony, although it's also possible that bathroom layout will tilt the scale. On the Ruby, can anyone tell me if D732 and D733 baths have the shower/bathtub combo or the no tub/larger shower layout?

I'm thinking you're comparing a mini on Emerald with a mini on Dolphin, correct? For years I booked minis on Dolphin and the uncovered balcony did not bother me one bit. Then I snagged a covered balcony mini on Emerald and really liked it much better. On my next cruise I hit the holy grail and snagged a covered mini on Emerald with the extended balcony.

I think the only minis with a shower only are the handicapped cabins, but I could be mistaken.

A lot depends on the itinerary. For AK, I'd go with the Emerald Deck because if there's rain, you can still enjoy the balcony and the views.

For sunnier destinations, the Dolphin Deck is always our preferred location because it's a good place to escape the pool crowds on sea days and get some direct sun. At night, it's a straight shot up above you for great starry views.

It's the Mexican Riviera. We chose a covered mini for the sun protection and some privacy. Good score on the covered Emerald mini, rdcruisin2! That would have been our first choice, but apparently people are onto it. :eek: ;)

I've had 3 extended balcony minisuites on Dolphin deck (D732) and loved them. Nice to see out to the side and toward the aft. Not having a covering didn't bother me - no one was up there looking down.

My next cruise will be in a covered mini on Emerald deck. Will be interesting to compare. Then in November I'll have the covered Emerald deck extended balcony mini. Another one to compare. They both get great reviews and I'm sure I'll love them too.

Am trying to decide which is more important, having shade and privacy vs. a bigger balcony, although it's also possible that bathroom layout will tilt the scale. On the Ruby, can anyone tell me if D732 and D733 baths have the shower/bathtub combo or the no tub/larger shower layout?
I believe that the Crown, Emerald, and Ruby discontinued the "pseudo" accessible minis, the last mini on either side of Dolphin deck. On the Caribbean and earlier Grand class ships these two minis DID NOT have a tub/shower combination, but rather a large accessible style walk in shower. The last two covered minis on Emerald deck, E730 and E731 have similar but slightly smaller extended balconies. We found E731 on Ruby's sister, the Crown, very spacious and almost twice as large as a standard mini balcony. Act soon if you want to book, E730, E731, D732 or D733 because they are gone very quickly on most cruises.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Then I snagged a covered balcony mini on Emerald and really liked it much better. On my next cruise I hit the holy grail and snagged a covered mini on Emerald with the extended balcony.

We always go for the same cabin when we book mini suites (got it on the Sapphire next Dec). Much prefer the covered balcony on Emerald, and the double length balcony of the end 2 even better.....

I just wish they could come with club class benefits instead of the exposed cabins on deck 9...

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Forums mobile app

We have always had a mini suite on the Emerald Deck that has the larger balcony and have always enjoyed it. It has usually been E731 or on the Golden E729.

With the new Club Class, we decided to move our booking to a Dolphin balcony and try out the Club Class. We will be on the Emerald Princess this coming Saturday for an 11 night cruise so we will be able to see if we prefer the balcony without the covering or the one downstairs on Emerald Deck. As we are going north and returning south, we will be able to sit out either in the afternoon going north and in the afternoon going south as we are on Starboard so we will get some shade.

Jennie

We usually prefer Dolphin open balconies. especially for warm and sunny cruises. As for privacy issues, we don't do anything on our balcony that we would not do in the dining room ( eating ) or around the pool ( reading, sunning, watching the sea or port).

The "looking up the sky at night " is , as someone mentionned, a good thing as MS would say. But for Alaska, I would choose the part covered or all covered balcony to make sure I can still stay outside and watch for wildlife even if it rains.

Edited by Sailingpeace