Inside Cabin GTY

snorkelinggirl

Hello,

We booked an inside guarantee for our upcoming cruise. Will HAL upgrade to an picture or balcony cabin? No cabin assignment and we are 68 days away.

Did a trial booking and see many picture and balcony cabins available.

We are nonsmokers and would like to know where the nonsmoking areas are?

Thanks for your help.

A 'picture' cabin is an ocean view cabin, usually referred to as an OV. Chances are you will not be upgraded, but you can always hope. What you really should be asking is where the smoking areas are, as they are far fewer than the non-smoking areas. EM

Your assignment is most likely to come between 16 and 5 days out.

What category is your GUAR? If you have an I GUAR, you could very possibly go to an outside. Maybe even from a J GUAR.

You might be offered an upsell (paid upgrade) to an outside or even balcony. These come up to a month out. If you want to pay more at that time, respond quickly, as these upsells often sell out very fast.

I've had several Inside Guarantee bookings and usually got assigned a room one or a few categories above the category booked... so once when we booked an NN we got an M; when we booked an MM we got assigned a K once and an M once; booked an M got an I once; we booked an MM got a K.... all insides. But once we booked a last minute cruise just about 2 weeks out in an N guarantee and got assigned an E!!!! which was an OV and a huge surprise.

That's my experience so far. I only book a category that I could live with with, plus be happy with ANY room in ANY category above it because you could moved up to some weird locations. Sometimes the later you get your assignment the better it is but there's nothing magic about any of it.

Since then we've done a lot more longer cruises and usually pick our spot; if we get offered an upsell we might take it but not always.

The good news is that you will be on a cruise! Go enjoy, m--

We have booked several inside guarantee cabins and have always received upgrades, but, never to an ocean view. An upgrade can be to an inside cabin in what HAL considers a more desirable location. We have been satisfied with our assignments. They have always come very close to the sail date, one time we did not have our assignment until we were at the pier. It always works out because, after all, we are on a cruise. Hope you enjoy your trip.:)

Definitely pay attention to emails that may offer upsells though...depending on your budget it may be worth it.

We were sailing on the Westerdam in an inside guarantee and were offered an upsell to a balcony guarantee for only $300 total ($150pp). That was well worth it for us, and wen ended up assigned to an aft with an extra deep balcony on deck 5. It was a GREAT value deal for us!

It helps if you made a note of what the prices of the different types of cabins were at the time of booking to help you decide if an upsell is worth it. When I booked our obstructed view cabin, we could have booked a balcony for $130 more per person. If we get an upsell offer for less than that, we will consider it. But we can be happy in an obstructed view. We're three weeks out and are still waiting for our assignment. With HAL, our experience has usually been assignment of a specific cabin when booking a guarantee around the one week mark.

Inside guarentee for us is the only way to go until one has seen enough of cruising to figure out what works best for you. Our first ten cruises were inside guarentees, and we received some kind of upgrade every time. Then we figured out that we liked J and K cabins and booked those for awhile. That worked well and we stuck to that plan for the next twenty cruises. We had a lot of fun on cruises with inside cabins.

We also spent a lot of money on shore excursions. After some time, we started spending less on shore excursions and tried out a balcony cabin. And of course we scored an upgrade to a Neptune suite. So we have been booking balconies the last couple of cruises.

Don't let anyone take away the enjoyment of an inside cabin booking. When you first start cruising, you won't spend much time in that cabin, too much to do onboard ship, games to play, shows to see, people to meet, and of course beverages with little upbrellas. Bon voyage!

.....I’m solo so I do inside guarantees. And they’ve always been the generic “inside”, not I,J,K guarantees. That means that (depending upon the ship) they’ll theoretically be the awful Ms or Ns. But I have NEVER actually been assigned an M or N. In my experience those staterooms have generally been assigned to entertainers or other contractors whose accommodations are comped. I’ve always ended up in Js, Ks or Ls. In fact, I’ve been assigned twice to the very large and desirable “sideways” inside staterooms (don’t know why folks refer to them as sideways…the majority of the insides are oriented with the longest dimension abeam and those large ones are oriented fore-and-aft). So be of good cheer, I’m sure you’ll be pleased with your accommodation.

I see that you’ve just done NCL or RCI in the past. Welcome to HAL!!

Hello,

We booked an inside guarantee for our upcoming cruise. Will HAL upgrade to an picture or balcony cabin? No cabin assignment and we are 68 days away.

Did a trial booking and see many picture and balcony cabins available.

We are nonsmokers and would like to know where the nonsmoking areas are?

Thanks for your help.

Many times our travel agent has been successful in getting us upgraded to ocean view at no additional charge or balcony with a nominal upcharge once prices start dropping after final payment has been made.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums