Clock NCL

kswill

Suggestions for clock/alarm clock?? Will my smartphone work??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The stateroom will have an automatic wake up call service similar to that of a hotel through the phone. Your smartphone will also work as long as you disable the automatic time zone function and set the time to ship time.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

The stateroom will have an automatic wake up call service similar to that of a hotel through the phone. Your smartphone will also work as long as you disable the automatic time zone function and set the time to ship time.

Agreed, also if using the phone make sure you disable the data function and just use wifi when available.

Make sure you have International roaming for any phone calls but it can be very expensive doing that on board.

Agreed, also if using the phone make sure you disable the data function and just use wifi when available.

Make sure you have International roaming for any phone calls but it can be very expensive doing that on board.

I would suggest turning the data and phone service off altogether unless you have an at sea plan through your carrier. But the time and alarm feature will work properly as indicated.

Right, just put your phone in airplane mode unless you research the options for talk/data/text at sea and in port and are ok with the extra charges. In airplane mode you can still watch/listen to anything saved to the phone, use the camera, and use the clock features.

Right, just put your phone in airplane mode unless you research the options for talk/data/text at sea and in port and are ok with the extra charges. In airplane mode you can still watch/listen to anything saved to the phone, use the camera, and use the clock features.

That would work too.

Another question. Why disable auto time zone?

I would think you would want that due traveling through different time zones.

My understanding is that the timezone you would connect to at sea is dependent on satellite location and connection by the ship. We typically get bizarre times that are often hours off the actual time as a result.

More importantly, when you are on board, the time that drives all activities and is the only time that matters is ship time, which may or may not reflect the time zone you are traveling in at the time. Ship time can be the port of departure and return time zone or change to reflect the actual timezone you are in at the time. This is at the Captain's discretion. As a result, you always want your smartphone (if that is what you are using) set to the ship's time.

I think you are essentially correct.

Ship time can often be an in between time zone, for example when crossing the Tasman sea between Australia and NZ (which has a two hour difference) you lose one hour per day going east and gain one going west. That means that for one of the days you are in neither the Australian or NZ time zone.

Another question. Why disable auto time zone?

I would think you would want that due traveling through different time zones.

Because the ship may not change at the same time the zone changes, or sometimesmay not change at all, and ship time rules on a cruise.