Celebrity vs Oceania

harpy3

Can anyone comment on what it would be like comparing PAX numbers, ie 684 to 2000+, especially at port time? I would mostly be doing specialty dining on X, also steadiness of the boat in rougher seas because clearly they are quite different in size. And while I am at it 1 X choice and the O choice go past Hubbard Glacier, the other one (Silhouette) only goes to Tracy Arm Fjord, which I believe can be tricky to get to? I would like to see Glacier calving. Having so much trouble deciding which one! Thanks.

Can anyone comment on what it would be like comparing PAX numbers, ie 684 to 2000+, especially at port time? I would mostly be doing specialty dining on X, also steadiness of the boat in rougher seas because clearly they are quite different in size. And while I am at it 1 X choice and the O choice go past Hubbard Glacier, the other one (Silhouette) only goes to Tracy Arm Fjord, which I believe can be tricky to get to? I would like to see Glacier calving. Having so much trouble deciding which one! Thanks.

In September, you should have no problem accessing Tracy Arm Fjord. Early in the season, the fjord can be full of ice and it's rare to reach the glacier. Hubbard Glacier is spectacular.

Thanks Happycruiser 6143. The Third deposit I have down on X Solstice to Tracy Arm, Jun, Skag and Ketichkan is in and out of Seattle, which coming from Australia and being time poor is actually so so much easier. I am pretty sure I will be back up there again, I have other friends who want to go, so I just really want a taster cruise. Plus I sort of want to test out a bigger ship and see if the tours getting on and off are easy or annoying. Hmmmm, more to think about.

If you are used to the prices on Oceania and Crystal, you should book a suite on Celebrity -- then you will dine in Luminae, where the food is as good as Oceania, and have access to Michael's Club, for a quiet, classy lounge atmosphere that is also similar to those two luxury lines. Plus you would then get the better level of entertainment shows on Celebrity. A Sky Suite is slightly larger than a regular stateroom. A Celebrity Suite is a true 2-room suite. There are also larger suites above the level of those two, but all suites get full suite privileges.

A little late to this. We were on the Riviera at the time of this post(Jan.12)We own a large food service business, so our tastes go more towards gourmet.Food in Luminae is good, but NOT as good as the specialty rest. on the Riviera. We found the food as good as our 2010 cruise in the Queens Grill on the QM2. The food in the GD(Grand Dining room)was slightly inferior to that in Luminae, but not by much. We found our B-1 cabin far better than the veranda cabins on the Eclipse(cabin space is about 290sq. ft.) Full tub with shower & separate enclosed shower. Celebrity towels were better, however(take note on that Princess!! Simply God awful bath towels on that line!)Storage was a lot better in our cabin than on Eclipse. We had booked a 14 day trip on Reflection next year in Concierge level, but just cancelled & booked a 14 night on the Riviera in the same time frame. Loved the fact that there were NO Photographers to annoy you while eating dinner. NO art auction. "Sidewalk" sales were small & had high end product. None of that "Gold by the inch" crap. Oceania entertainment(exception guest speakers)is pretty lame. The budget goes to the food, which IS the entertainment on that line. Dress was nice. Country club casual is like smart casual but nicer grade of clothing. Pax dressed more for the specialty rest. The opposite of other cruise lines. Jeans at night are banned from the dining venues, except the buffet. Overall just a splendid trip. After we see how next Jan. pans out, we'll decide whether to continue to do Celebrity or dedicate more time to Oceania.

A little late to this. We were on the Riviera at the time of this post(Jan.12)We own a large food service business, so our tastes go more towards gourmet.Food in Luminae is good, but NOT as good as the specialty rest. on the Riviera. We found the food as good as our 2010 cruise in the Queens Grill on the QM2. The food in the GD(Grand Dining room)was slightly inferior to that in Luminae, but not by much. We found our B-1 cabin far better than the veranda cabins on the Eclipse(cabin space is about 290sq. ft.) Full tub with shower & separate enclosed shower. Celebrity towels were better, however(take note on that Princess!! Simply God awful bath towels on that line!)Storage was a lot better in our cabin than on Eclipse. We had booked a 14 day trip on Reflection next year in Concierge level, but just cancelled & booked a 14 night on the Riviera in the same time frame. Loved the fact that there were NO Photographers to annoy you while eating dinner. NO art auction. "Sidewalk" sales were small & had high end product. None of that "Gold by the inch" crap. Oceania entertainment(exception guest speakers)is pretty lame. The budget goes to the food, which IS the entertainment on that line. Dress was nice. Country club casual is like smart casual but nicer grade of clothing. Pax dressed more for the specialty rest. The opposite of other cruise lines. Jeans at night are banned from the dining venues, except the buffet. Overall just a splendid trip. After we see how next Jan. pans out, we'll decide whether to continue to do Celebrity or dedicate more time to Oceania.

Which trip did you have a suite to eat in Luminae?

Actually the bolded part is incorrect. It's casual jeans that are banned, whatever that means

Thanks KeithM, all great info and helpful tips. I have about 3 more weeks to decide. I am leaning towards my X Solstice cruise up Tracy Arm in and out of Seattle, with 3 ports. My Sky Suite should be fine for that.

Hi everyone, thanks for all your help. I have decided to take the Celebrity Solstice trip to Tracy Arm out of Seattle. Have a Sky Suite booked and think I will enjoy the bigger cabin and restaurants on this boat while I enjoy the stops and scenery. Appreciate all the help.

Hi everyone, thanks for all your help. I have decided to take the Celebrity Solstice trip to Tracy Arm out of Seattle. Have a Sky Suite booked and think I will enjoy the bigger cabin and restaurants on this boat while I enjoy the stops and scenery. Appreciate all the help.

We have enjoyed two great cruises on the Solstice I am sure you will enjoy. We enjoyed Seattle too, a great city for a few days stop pre or post cruise.

You should find Michael’s a great place to meet and mingle with other guests. You could also join the roll call for your cruise so you would board already ‘knowing’ several fellow cruisers and may be able to arrange tours with them.

Have a great cruise!