Can I get the Surf Only internet package?

Soramor

Hi all! We are sailing on Grandeur of the Seas this March. I called RCI to inquire as to whether I could pre-book Surf only (as opposed to the streaming option) and was told that I could only book that streaming. However, I later read on another thread somewhere that you CAN book just the Surf Only internet but you have to wait until you are actually onboard the ship. Can anyone clarify? I plan to call RCI to ask but I'm at work right now and wanted to see if any of you fine folk could shed some light :)

The only package i seen when last night was for $11.99 for surf/stream. This is for liberty sailing on the 22nd of Jan.

I am thinking that maybe they are going to only have 1 package, at least for some ship/sailings.

Prior to my purchase however, I did see the surf only and the +stream packages.

FOLLOW UP QUESTION if I may: If my husband and I are looking to check in with people back home or work periodically, can we get ONE DEVICE plan and just share as long as we are not both logged on simultaneously? Does that make sense? Like can whomever in the family use it just only one device at a time?

FOLLOW UP QUESTION if I may: If my husband and I are looking to check in with people back home or work periodically, can we get ONE DEVICE plan and just share as long as we are not both logged on simultaneously? Does that make sense? Like can whomever in the family use it just only one device at a time?

Yes

You are correct. A one device plan would be perfect for what you described.

I'm also going on Grandeur in March. I'm watching prices, and hoping a sale comes up soon. I'm thinking something may happen during Presidents Day holiday. If not, I will grab the $11.99 price online. I'm not familiar with RC, but it looks like booking onboard costs more(?)

I'm also going on Grandeur in March. I'm watching prices, and hoping a sale comes up soon. I'm thinking something may happen during Presidents Day holiday. If not, I will grab the $11.99 price online. I'm not familiar with RC, but it looks like booking onboard costs more(?)

Booking onboard only costs more when there's no 30% off promo going on.

Booking onboard only costs more when there's no 30% off promo going on.

Thanks. Does this 30% off happen on every cruise, or is it random? I was also wondering if you can purchase daily? I really won't need it the entire 9 days, only sea days.

Thanks. Does this 30% off happen on every cruise, or is it random? I was also wondering if you can purchase daily? I really won't need it the entire 9 days, only sea days.

The 30% off has been the standard pricing since VOOM was rolled out last May (with a few sales along the way). In Nov, RCI stopped selling the Surf option pre-cruise, only available on board. You can buy a single 24 hour period of Surf for $20.

As Mr. Biker said, the 30% off has been around a while, however that does not mean it will be there tomorrow.

I haven't cruises much with Royal however on the cruises I have taken pre-purchasing the surf /stream option on the cruise planner is less than the surf only prices once onboard.

Right, Stream pre cruise is $12/day while Surf on board is $13/day.

On our December cruise, Grandeur had surf and surf+stream options available pre-cruise (30% off) and aboard. You could buy 24 hrs of internet cafe (ship's terminals). Plenty of free wifi in ports, and some cell phone data services may work (my wifi hot spot that uses T-mobile works in San Juan and St Thomas). We were fine using in-port wifi and being out of reach the rest of the time.

Thank You, Biker19 and Bob. It would probably be more cost effective for me to purchase the Surf and Stream, instead of 5 days of just Surf for $20 per day. That's what I needed to know. Thank you both.

do_not_spindle...Im going to be looking for that 30% sale again for the next month. SincThanks

Soramor...I am so sorry to highjack your post, but since we are on the same ship, with the same internet concerns, I didn't think you would mind.

Thank You, Biker19 and Bob. It would probably be more cost effective for me to purchase the Surf and Stream, instead of 5 days of just Surf for $20 per day. That's what I needed to know. Thank you both.

do_not_spindle...Im going to be looking for that 30% sale again for the next month. SincThanks

Soramor...I am so sorry to highjack your post, but since we are on the same ship, with the same internet concerns, I didn't think you would mind.

Don't mind at all!

I think we'll stick with the 30% off pre cruise surf & stream package now that I know that we can use it across all devices. Thanks everyone!

If you pre-purchase the package, be sure to ask questions/get info when you get on the ship about how to log off.

Somehow during our last cruise I missed the instructions on how to correctly log off and I had trouble switching from my phone to my ipad, etc until the 3rd day when I finally asked at Guest Services. I believe you just type: logoff.com or something like that.

For our February 9 day cruise I was able to purchase the 1 device, surf only for $81, but it was back in October. Now the 1 device with surf and stream is $107.91. :rolleyes:

If you pre-purchase the package, be sure to ask questions/get info when you get on the ship about how to log off.

Somehow during our last cruise I missed the instructions on how to correctly log off and I had trouble switching from my phone to my ipad, etc until the 3rd day when I finally asked at Guest Services. I believe you just type: logoff.com or something like that. ...

In our experience both logoff.com and logout.com works.

I I believe you just type: logoff.com or something like that.

Also, on the web page that comes up right after you login (which also shows how much time you have left - useful if you get a 24 hr package), there's a small lougout link in the upper right corner.

Edited by Biker19

I believe the surf only package was available but is being phased out and the bottom tier seems to be the surf and stream (one device).

I had the "surf only" package but just cancelled it in favour of the "surf plus" stream package after reading this internet review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2433467&highlight=adventure

In the link at post #6, Skier Girl was on board AoS this past Christmas and reported the "surf only" was basically useless as she kept getting bumped off. When she was using the "surf plus stream" she had no issues at all.

Although I don't plan on streaming video, for the extra $30 I upgraded to "surf plus stream" to ensure a stable internet connection. Nothing more frustrating than being bumped off in the middle of an email or while catching up on the news.

***sigh...first world problems. ;)

Edited by jdelta

We just got off of the Oasis today and bought the stream package on sale before the cruise via the cruise planner. The stream package on sale was MUCH cheaper than the surf package sold on the ship!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk