Alacarte with SDP

cruisinmeme

In Cagneys, Le Bistro and La Cucina the SDP means you can order whatever you want, but you are restricted to one entree. Multiple apps, sides or desserts are included.

Thank you. One entree is always enough but in the past we have ordered more than one app.

I did read the link you attached before I ask this question but I didn't see where it addressed how to handle what you are allowed to order with the SDP

We just got off the Breakaway today and over 13 days we ate at Cagneys three times (we purchased a 6 meal dining package). One evening the server told us we could order one appetizer, one soup/salad, and an entree. I wanted two appetizers and no soup/salad, which wasn't a problem. He also said we could order two sides each. A couple of us actually ordered three sides, and we weren't charged extra. It's the first time we've heard of any limits other than one entree per person.

We just got off the Breakaway today and over 13 days we ate at Cagneys three times (we purchased a 6 meal dining package). One evening the server told us we could order one appetizer, one soup/salad, and an entree. I wanted two appetizers and no soup/salad, which wasn't a problem. He also said we could order two sides each. A couple of us actually ordered three sides, and we weren't charged extra. It's the first time we've heard of any limits other than one entree per person.

Thanks for this info. I guess we will just need to ask ( if we aren't told ahead) better safe than sorry.lol

I guess we will just need to ask ( if we aren't told ahead) better safe than sorry.
You can ask if you want, but there's very little danger of being "sorry". If you are going over some unwritten limit, your server will warn you while you're ordering so you have the chance to change your mind (or accept the extra charges). They won't wait until you've eaten everything and only then reveal that you have to pay extra.

In line with this conversation, has anyone every ordered the filet for two at Le Bistro (I believe) using the SDP? I'm wondering how that would could with the rules

I've never ordered it, but it will be included.

It is specifically excluded from the latitudes platinum meal, but there are no such exclusions from the SDP.

As I've read posts asking this question, it seems to me that if you ask the waiter what you can order with the SDP, they sometimes come up with arbitrary limits. But, if you don't ask it goes smoothly. Every once in a while, a waiter will charge if more than one of something other than an entree is ordered, but a word with the manager seems to take care of the issues. Personally, if I wanted to order more than one app (never have), then I'd just do it and if they charged me for it (which wold be very unusual) I'd ask to talk with the manager. They seem to be more familiar with the T&Cs.

Being on Gem mid-December they were imposing limits on the sides and apps. Cagney's two different versions stated by server - one was 1-1-1-2 (1 app, 1 from soup/salad area, 1 entree, and 2 sides) plus dessert.

Different server in Cagneys 2-1-2 (meaning two above the entree line, one entree, and two sides) plus dessert. I had a copy of the T&C if it was going to be an issue but we were fine with getting what we wanted - I asked to trade a dessert for one of the above line items and that was o.k.

So yes, the arbitrary, non-written rules that we had and others have run into are alive and well.

I really find the fact that some waiters are making up and trying to impose rules which are not spelled out in the terms and conditions of the package quite annoying. I am not going to ask the waiter what I can order, because I know exactly what is allowed, basically anything I want over and above the one main entree. And I will not ask permission to skip my dessert in order to have two in another category. Nope, going to have my cake and eat it too.:).

If the waiter brings the subject up, and he's not correct, I'll let him know that this is not correct according to the terms and conditions of the SDP, and that he needs to check with his manager. If we don't challenge this nonsense when it occurs, then the same thing will happen to everyone who comes behind us.

I don't see any mention of a "one entree limit" on the NCL SPD FAQ's and T&C pages.

https://www.ncl.com/specialty-dining-package/faq

There are different versions around, and it is more obvious on other pages, but this is from the link you gave:

"Additional entrée charges also apply for dining at Cagney's Steakhouse and Le Bistro."

I want to thank everyone for all the input. I think I am well prepared now. Two entrees is not even on our radar but us and grandkids do enjoy two apps. We probably want even order sides so over ordering isn't an issue.

Thanks again. BTW I have all our reservations made. Looking forward to trying the New Mexican resturant on the Dawn.

I see the fine print now. Where can I find menus with prices?

Link to photo of Cagney's menu:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=51856129&postcount=9

Link to photo of Le Bistro's menu:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=51856137&postcount=10

You might need a magnifier to read the prices though, but it is usually a much better deal to purchase a dining package with everything included than to pay a-la-carte... :p

Link to photo of Cagney's menu:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=51856129&postcount=9

Link to photo of Le Bistro's menu:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=51856137&postcount=10

You might need a magnifier to read the prices though, but it is usually a much better deal to purchase a dining package with everything included than to pay a-la-carte... :p

Thanks! A bit hard to read, but it was enough to let me know that I'm not going to pay a-la-carte prices!

We booked a 4 night dining package. So other than Cagney's and Le Bistro with the fees for additional entrees, you can technically order as much as you want like in the main dining rooms?

We haven't been on a cruise in over 10 years and the last time we went, we just did the main dining room each night. The portions were on the smaller side but they let us order as many as we wanted.

I wasn't sure how it works nowadays and in the specialty restaurants.

We booked a 4 night dining package. So other than Cagney's and Le Bistro with the fees for additional entrees, you can technically order as much as you want like in the main dining rooms?

We haven't been on a cruise in over 10 years and the last time we went, we just did the main dining room each night. The portions were on the smaller side but they let us order as many as we wanted.

I wasn't sure how it works nowadays and in the specialty restaurants.

The main dining rooms do not have any kind of limits.