Disappointment on the Ruby.

Sillyjilly

We were on the Ruby at the beginning of December and, yes, in fact there WAS a new chef : Executive Chef Graeme Cockburn formerly of Seabourne.

We had a Chef's table (I think there were 2 on our 7 day cruise) which was excellent and somewhat different from our previous chef's tables. It sounded like he had just gotten there that week as a sort of emergency replacement for the previous chef. Don't know what the issue was or if he is still the Exec. Chef. Anyone know?

We had the same problem with waiting for a table in AT dining, and not being able to call to reserve one. (Sadly, we have friends who came with us who hadn't sailed before and had heard us rave about our trips. They probably will never cruise again....) LONG waits for a table, long lines waiting to be put on the list and told it'd be 45 minutes . Terrible.

The food. Not to bad---we tend not to have more than breakfast in the buffet. Dinners were typical Princess food once you got to sit down. Staff were terrific as always (although we did have our first mediocre steward ever.) The ship seemed more crowded than I remember; I attributed it to Christmas month.

(Also we did have a pub lunch...)

I was just reading some patters from a person who got off on Jan. 29 and the Executive Chef is.....Giovanni Sisto !! I have no idea what happened to Graeme Cockburn ?? :confused::confused:

Why should Princess care if the food, service and ships are sub par on the west coast.

Unless there is more direct competition from other lines things will not change, in my opinion.

Yeah, who cares about the west coast? Guess what-- lots of people do. That's why I just booked my next cruise, on the west coast, on another cruise line. And why, other future cruises to other destinations won't be on Princess.

To where? Mexican ports?

The cruise I booked today? Yes, ports in Mexico. Future cruises not yet booked? Where ever strikes my fancy. Caribbean, Mediterranean, and Baltic are just a few we are considering. The point is, if a line thinks one market is not worthy of quality, then that philosophy is likely carried fleetwide. We didn't love our Princess experience, although there were some things we did like. For me, especially due to my dietary restrictions, dining is a big make it or break it part of the value.

The cruise I booked today? Yes, ports in Mexico. Future cruises not yet booked? Where ever strikes my fancy. Caribbean, Mediterranean, and Baltic are just a few we are considering. The point is, if a line thinks one market is not worthy of quality, then that philosophy is likely carried fleetwide. We didn't love our Princess experience, although there were some things we did like. For me, especially due to my dietary restrictions, dining is a big make it or break it part of the value.

We haven't been down the Mexican coast in a number of years and now with all of their crime problems, we're not going back anytime to soon.

Since we don't have any dietary restrictions choosing a cruise line doesn't enter into our selection considerations.

Goo luck with Mexico.

We haven't been down the Mexican coast in a number of years and now with all of their crime problems, we're not going back anytime to soon.

Since we don't have any dietary restrictions choosing a cruise line doesn't enter into our selection considerations.

Goo luck with Mexico.

Good for you. We experienced so much crime the last two cruises to Mexico, that it inspired us to keep going back.

Guess I'll find out tomorrow when I board the the Ruby. I have friends on there now and she said there has been a couple of "hicups" but nothing major.

Will let everyone know how it was when I get back home in a week.:cool:

Please do Karen!

We'll be on the RUBY in a couple weeks for the first time.

All this talk about having to make reservations for "anytime dining" seems to go directly against the spirit of "ANYTIME DINING"! :rolleyes:

Never had to make reservations for this dining selection on any other line we've sailed, so I'm hoping for the best!

HOPE YOU HAVE A GREAT CRUISE!!!!

:)

We were on Ruby over Thanksgiving. I do agree the food has gone down hill. The ship is tired, it is showing its age. It had a great personality all the times we cruised her. That is gone. We cruise Princess before the takeover and now you can see how Princess has loss its class. We are elite but looking at RC and Celeb for future cruises.