Disappointment on the Ruby.

Sillyjilly

We also were on the Ruby sailing Jan 7. We have to agree about the quality and taste of the food. We had AT dining and first night waits times were very long so we went to Da Vinci around 7pm and waited for it to open at 730p...It seemed like the restaurant had a lot of tables set but they refused to open the doors until 730p. People were very unhappy as they could have seated a lot of people before 730p. The food was OK. We went about 1/2 time to Horizon and found the food to be cold, cold, cold. Complained but they did not seem to care. Never even a hot cup of soup. The deserts stayed the same in the Horizon and IC for at least the first 3 day, then they changed and stayed the same for about 3 days. I think they IC pastry was the same as the dining room. They had two types of donuts but they were not the same. Breakfast in the dining room was very slow and the food not hot. Ordered eggs over medium and they were over hard. It was better to get eggs upstairs but I did not see them cooking anything to order. I asked them to make me some hot waffles because the machine and chef was right there, they said no. Last night we waited 30 mins for a table.

Also I just pulled out my Patters and on a 10 day, 30 so called seminars were health related. We are not interested in Cancer Prevention, Diabetes and face lifts, etc. There were 6 seminars having to do with Mexico and whales. We are Platinum members and sail 2 times a years. We noticed all the cutbacks and yes, you have to pay for pub lunch.

Good to hear!! I'm sailing on her in 39 more days. Thank you for your honest review, I like knowing what to expect/avoid :-)

We are sailing on her on March 4th for the first time as well! Hope they can fix the food problems soon. :rolleyes:

I tend to agree that that this Mexican cruise could have had more "spice" in their foods, even if it was only at the buffet.

I've found that a request for hot sauce is usually met promptly.

And, y'know…the kitchen has to cook for the average Princess palate. I'm a huge fan of Indian and Thai foods, but it's only lately that some ship-board Indian dishes approach medium-spicy. We were once eating a fairly bland Indian dish and a woman at our table, eating the same, complained that the kitchen had "gone overboard with the spices." (I don't think she meant that literally.)

It's always easier to add spice than take it away.

Not ever did I ever see Ramen noodles.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing? In San Francisco (and at least NYC too) ramen is the Next Big Food Thing and hip ramen joints are springing up like weeds.

Which just goes to show you...

So sorry to hear you didn't like the Ruby. We went on her in November and I thought she was my favorite ship to date!

Perhaps there was a change in executive chef? Change in staffing? Something?

Sorry to hear you did not like your last cruise.

So sorry to hear you didn't like the Ruby. We went on her in November and I thought she was my favorite ship to date!

Perhaps there was a change in executive chef? Change in staffing? Something?

Sorry to hear you did not like your last cruise.

As I said before, I've been on her 10 times. The cruise on her in Sept was great as were those before that. Something has changed recently and it isn't for the best.

As I said before, I've been on her 10 times. The cruise on her in Sept was great as were those before that. Something has changed recently and it isn't for the best.

That bums me out. I was desperately trying to book a cruise on the Ruby because I liked it so much last time.

Hopefully it was just a fluke?

Hoping they turn things around

I just got home yesterday from Ruby Princess, it was my first Princess ship and will be my last. I have cruised with RCL and NCL before, and the food was great and people working on board were great. But Ruby Princess... meh... Only the best part of was that it was only 4 nights.

First : food, I didn't expect amazing food from buffet, but it made McDonald food seem like Michelin Star quality. Paid restaurants were no better. I went to Crown Grill, medium cooked steaks were chewy and had weird texture. filet mignon had no flavor what so ever. Also went to Crab Shack, some legs were salty as hell and other legs were bland. Was planning on going to Share restaurant but decided to cancel it.

Second : Crews, I barely saw any smiling faces, most of waiters and waitress looked like they wanted to jump off the ship. When people asked about their job, they spend great time complaining about what's so terrible about it. And because of it, I understand why they look so miserable, apparently Princess only feed them rice and terrible curry everyday, and they work 13 hours a day, 2 people share bottom of the ship cabin and 4 people share one bathroom. Crews are not allowed to leave the ship at all.

And our waiter at Crown Grill, who was being really rude to us and called my dad 'cabron' under his breath (was kind of weird because he was bulgarian, but was cussing in spanish), my dad replied in spanish, and the waiter's attitude changed quickly.

Crews working at Club level dining room or whatever it was called, and paid restaurants were generally snotty. And only friendly workers I've meet are Cabin Attendants.

Every other cruises I've been to, the last day of cruise I always wished I could stay longer, but this one... I couldn't wait til get off the ship.

I've found that a request for hot sauce is usually met promptly.

And, y'know…the kitchen has to cook for the average Princess palate. I'm a huge fan of Indian and Thai foods, but it's only lately that some ship-board Indian dishes approach medium-spicy. We were once eating a fairly bland Indian dish and a woman at our table, eating the same, complained that the kitchen had "gone overboard with the spices." (I don't think she meant that literally.)

It's always easier to add spice than take it away.

I understand what you're saying about the Indian food- it was available at the Horizon court every night except for one night and

I have to say, I found it mediocre at best.

Spices weren't blended well, where two different bites from the same dish differed.

It was disappointing, though I found enough interesting things to eat there, including their carved meats, yum.

I'm a big salad eater- plenty of choices at the buffet to keep one happy.

Edited by lyannea

Second : Crews, I barely saw any smiling faces, most of waiters and waitress looked like they wanted to jump off the ship. When people asked about their job, they spend great time complaining about what's so terrible about it. And because of it, I understand why they look so miserable, apparently Princess only feed them rice and terrible curry everyday, and they work 13 hours a day, 2 people share bottom of the ship cabin and 4 people share one bathroom. Crews are not allowed to leave the ship at all.

I'm sorry you encountered problems on your cruise. I cannot comment on your personal experiences.

I can comment on the incorrect information given to you by staff. No crew on Princess are permitted to work more than 70 hours in a 7 day week. Crew do share cabins and for the stewards, two cabins share a bathroom. Stewards have often said to us they 'never' see their room mate because they work different shifts. To say they are not allowed to leave the ship is a gross exaggeration. Of course they can have time off on port days, but they have to get their supervisor's permission. People who have cruised with Princess will have seen the crew leaving the ship, on shore or on tenders. In the crew area there is a very active social life with activities (parties, quizz nights, shows in the crew bar) organised virtually every evening.

I suggest that the people you spoke to were giving you a tale of woe in the hope of getting a bigger tip. :)

Edited by Aus Traveller

I understand why they look so miserable, apparently Princess only feed them rice and terrible curry everyday, and they work 13 hours a day, 2 people share bottom of the ship cabin and 4 people share one bathroom. Crews are not allowed to leave the ship at all.

In general, this is not true -- crew has shore leave. Plenty of posters

here have seen crew on shore.

On most princess ships, the people in dining -- 2 per cabin,

and 2 cabins share a restroom.

This is pretty much the setup my college dorms had.

My husband and I just completed an 8 days Southern Caribbean cruise on the Caribbean Princess. We have cruised with Princess 25 times and I must say that we saw many positive changes on this cruise. The food was excellent in the dining room....far better than it has been our last few cruises. The beef in particular was outstanding, but everything was good.

We also found that the entertainment was many steps above what it has been. The production show Bravo was outstanding....pure pleasure. It was the first time on Princess that I saw a show get a unanimous standing ovation and cheers. The comedian was very funny and the singer guitarist also put on a really good show. We enjoyed all but one show, not usual for us, who I must admit are from New York and are entertainment snobs.

The ship is a little worn, but that is so overshadowed by the wonderful crew. The service was excellent....not a staff member did not smile and say good morning. It is clearly a happy staff and crew.

We were sooooo happy to see the trend up on Princess. It definitely remains our cruise line of choice, and we are booked on the same ship for next year.

We just got off the Ruby this last Saturday and I must say a lot of things were just a little off. The food in the Buffet was hit and miss, had some food that was cold, which should have been hot and some was just plain nasty. Had one really good dinner in the dining room. Also going to the dining room was a hassel because they kept changing the location. Changing the dining room from deck 5 and 6 mid-ship to the dining room in the back on deck 6 which I find hard because I can't walk stairs, so had to do the elevators which I waited a long time for. Several time we went one place and was directed to go to the other. This was my 15th cruise on Princess and have never experienced that. The staff was wonderful except for one guy at the pursers desk who was down right nasty and I expect won't be there long. This was my 2nd 4 day cruise and I don't think I will be doing another one anytime soon.

We just got off the Ruby this last Saturday and I must say a lot of things were just a little off. The food in the Buffet was hit and miss, had some food that was cold, which should have been hot and some was just plain nasty. Had one really good dinner in the dining room. Also going to the dining room was a hassel because they kept changing the location. Changing the dining room from deck 5 and 6 mid-ship to the dining room in the back on deck 6 which I find hard because I can't walk stairs, so had to do the elevators which I waited a long time for. Several time we went one place and was directed to go to the other. This was my 15th cruise on Princess and have never experienced that. The staff was wonderful except for one guy at the pursers desk who was down right nasty and I expect won't be there long. This was my 2nd 4 day cruise and I don't think I will be doing another one anytime soon.

Interesting perspective on your recent cruise. FWIW, I have not cruised on the Ruby.

Sounds like you had a really nasty time on your cruise. Overall, you did not enjoy Ruby? :eek:

So, just wondering, how long was the wait for an elevator? Were they too crowded? Or was it due to a mobility issue?

And, when you say they kept changing the dining room, do you mean for Traditional Dining or Anytime Dining? Do you mean they asked you to move to another dining room? :confused:

Happy cruising and may you have good health in 2017, if the Lord wills.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

After one 4-day cruise two years ago, I learned this:

Do not take anymore 4-day cruises.

It is just a different vibe. It is also a vibe I do not enjoy. I further assume that I woud not enjoy a 3-day cruise, either.

After one 4-day cruise two years ago, I learned this:

Do not take anymore 4-day cruises.

It is just a different vibe. It is also a vibe I do not enjoy. I further assume that I woud not enjoy a 3-day cruise, either.

I agree completely. I took a couple short cruises on caribbean,

a year or 2 ago, when they were free.

A huge percentage of the people bought the drink package, and

overwhelmed all the bars.

This is not the behaviour I see on a typical princess cruise.

(no offense to the big drinkers on longer cruises)

Additionally, anytime dining was a disaster, as few people signed up

for traditional.

Edited by pablo222

I just got home yesterday from Ruby Princess, it was my first Princess ship and will be my last. I have cruised with RCL and NCL before, and the food was great and people working on board were great. But Ruby Princess... meh... Only the best part of was that it was only 4 nights.

One thing I've noticed lately, more than usual, is a lot of slams against Princess are first-time posts by people identifying themselves as experienced cruisers. Now, I'm not a Princess cheerleader, and it's entirely possible that people who never bothered posting about their other lines/cruises are so upset by a Princess cruise that they establish a new account here.

Just saying that it seems to be a somewhat odd trend.

I

And our waiter at Crown Grill, who was being really rude to us and called my dad 'cabron' under his breath (was kind of weird because he was bulgarian, but was cussing in spanish), my dad replied in spanish, and the waiter's attitude changed quickly.

Crews working at Club level dining room or whatever it was called, and paid restaurants were generally snotty. And only friendly workers I've meet are Cabin Attendants.

Every other cruises I've been to, the last day of cruise I always wished I could stay longer, but this one... I couldn't wait til get off the ship.

If you are interested in what life is like for crew on Carnival ships, read Cruise Confidential by Brian David Bruns. He managed to work his whole contract and lived to tell about it. I'm pretty sure what he wrote goes for most cruise ships.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by jagsfan