Sillyjilly

I am on the Ruby end of Feb, I hear they will be serving top shelf food

fresh sushi, good omelets in buffet, great scenery and good cocktails

but personally I like the international cafe

my last 4 cruises have been on royal or regal and they have the nicest buffet

I am certain princess food is still better than most cruise line,

sorry for your experience, give them another try

Rick

Sushi was only served in Vines with the purchase of wine. No more sushi in the buffet. Just got off of her. Everything has changed.

Hi Jill. I remember you from a past cruise. :)

We are booked on the Star in March, before the dry dock. It's only a 5 dayer, but I can check it out.

We sailed Ruby to Hawaii, and it is my least favorite ship ONLY because getting to the MDR for early seating was a nightmare every single night. They closed one elevator and we had a lot of scooters which took up a lot of elevator room.

We thought the MDR food was good, Sabatini's was excellent, loved the IC, pizza, and pool area food was pretty good. Friends said the Salty Dog was good, but I won't pay for that either. :)

There were several issues with plumbing on Emerald deck that annoyed me.

For the most part, PCL is our line of choice. but we are branching out a bit.

Patti

I remember you.

THanks! I appreciate it your future input!:D

I am on the Ruby end of Feb, I hear they will be serving top shelf food

fresh sushi, good omelets in buffet, great scenery and good cocktails

but personally I like the international cafe

my last 4 cruises have been on royal or regal and they have the nicest buffet

I am certain princess food is still better than most cruise line,

sorry for your experience, give them another try

Rick

Just wondering how many other cruise lines you have experienced in the last few years :). While we agree with liking the IC, not sure we are as enamored with the buffet. Order an omelet and you are going to get commercial eggs (pasteurized and contained in large boxes of liquid). We have sometimes been successful and getting them to make us an omelet using real eggs...but more often we are told, "No."

As to "top shelf" food perhaps we have a different definition of that term :). We enjoy much of the food on Princess...but not sure it is even close to "top shelf." When it comes to cocktails, we have always been pleased on Princess.

Hank

We were on the Star in December and the buffet had sushi...you just never know. Probably depends on the mood of the head chef. :D

From what I've been reading, this new buffet trend may be the thing of the future. Hopefully if they get enough complaints things will go back to the way it was. Crossing my fingers!

That's exactly how I felt. Like I was eating yesterday's leftovers, over and over again. :eek:

More like their calendar was stuck on February 2, Ground Hog Day. After all we did also celebrate New Years with a balloon drop and Dia de Los Muertos (Nov 1). FWIW Los Muertos day featured the Mongolian in Cafe Caribe and a slightly extended Indian section in the buffet.

Just off the 10 day yesterday also. We had a great time. The ship was spotless. The crew was wonderful. In the MDR the food was excellent. In Horizon Court the food was very good but as others have said there was not a huge rotation in the variety for breakfast or lunches. A bit more for dinner. We enjoyed all the production shows, comedy and music talent.

[/size]]If there was a Pub lunch I never saw it.

Fish and Chips are a part of the Salty Dog Menu. (Not sure if they were before.) Never did check to see the hours of the Salty Dog. Just spoke with someone who had Fish and Chips there and paid 12 bucks.

That' date=' and the fact I never saw the Pub Lunch in the patters, nor did I see fish and chips in the buffet, led me to believe my beloved fish and chips can only be purchase for 12 bucks. I hope I am wrong.[/quote']

Just curious, so for enjoying your beloved fish and chips, is it worth $12 to you? Will you continue to enjoy your fish and chips whether free or for $12? :D

Happy cruising and good health in 2017, if the Lord wills.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Just curious, so for enjoying your beloved fish and chips, is it worth $12 to you? Will you continue to enjoy your fish and chips whether free or for $12? :D

Happy cruising and good health in 2017, if the Lord wills.

Will not pay 12 bucks for it.

Ditto.

My husband will instead choose to cruise NCL where fish and chips are included. And the cruise fare is less.

The wheelhouse was empty during the day whilst the Salty dog was in operation, 4 maybe 6 people max. Let's hope it a fail for Princess and that normal service resumes. Princess has tried lots of times for uncharges that have failed, so fingers crossed. I wonder if the few passengers in the Salty dog on the last sea day were just spending once they had.

Ditto.

My husband will instead choose to cruise NCL where fish and chips are included. And the cruise fare is less.

The fish and chips on NCL must be really good for you to switch from Princess! :):)

Just curious, just how much lower are the cruise fare on NCL vs. Princess cor comparable staterooms?

Edited by Kingofcool1947

NCL might be cheaper but once you get on the ship everything is extra charge. I think they only have 2 or 3 places to eat that don't have a charge. Their drink prices are much more than Princess.

even if you get their drink pkg perk, you still have to pay the gratuties of 18%

and the same on the restaurant perk.

I still find Princess to be the best cruise for it's value

My wife and I was on the Ruby over Christmas. We thought the food was subpar in MDR. One night they had Filet Mignon I ordered it Med Rare it came out at best Med. Everyone one at the table said say something, so I did. Dennis (our waiter) was quick to say he was sorry and would get it corrected. Within 5 mins I had another Filet in front of me:D. However this one was more well done then the last one:(, I did not ask for another. Another night I ordered Prime Rib again Med Rare, well this time the meat actually mooed at me:eek: (see pic below). I was also not impressed with the buffet. The pizza I thought was pretty good. The best food of the whole cruise was the Black and Blue french onion soup at the Crown Grill. With all that said food is subjective!

IMG_2047.jpg.852c609f2e9a2226566067565be6334d.jpg

We have cruised both Princess and Norwegian. I prefer Princess. When we walked onto the Norwegian Jewel I was disappointed. there is not a big Atrium & staircase :(. that was just for starters. The drinks are nothing special - oh they have a special for the day but not good. The entertainment was good but so is princesses. the food was fine on Norwegian but I am not picky - like I have said before - I don't have to cook or cleanup. I am just happy to be sailing. When I start complaining its time to find a new vacation!

I hope that the OP actually registered their dissatisfaction with the food on board to Princess. The only way to keep the companies we buy things from in the loop about customer satisfaction is to tell them when something doesn't seem right.

It would be interesting to know if the Executive Chef on your sailing was a newer hire or a long standing Princess employee. The experience and management chops of the Executive Chef has a lot to do with the quality and presentation of the food.

We have cruised both Princess and Norwegian. I prefer Princess. When we walked onto the Norwegian Jewel I was disappointed. there is not a big Atrium & staircase :(. that was just for starters. The drinks are nothing special - oh they have a special for the day but not good. The entertainment was good but so is princesses. the food was fine on Norwegian but I am not picky - like I have said before - I don't have to cook or cleanup. I am just happy to be sailing. When I start complaining its time to find a new vacation!

One person's drink is another person's poison?:D

Happy cruising and good health in 2017, if God willing.

I hope that the OP actually registered their dissatisfaction with the food on board to Princess. The only way to keep the companies we buy things from in the loop about customer satisfaction is to tell them when something doesn't seem right.

It would be interesting to know if the Executive Chef on your sailing was a newer hire or a long standing Princess employee. The experience and management chops of the Executive Chef has a lot to do with the quality and presentation of the food.

Yes, I did.

Curious about the head chef too as the buffet was wonderful just this past September.

I was also on the Ruby that disembarked 1/17. My food issue was that food in DaVinci was constantly served lukewarm, not hot, from first night. Waiter tried, but even replacing didn't help. (Note: Plates were hot) by 4th night, I spoke to head waiter as we left and let him know we were loyal Princess cruisers. I would best describe his attitude as annoyed to be bothered.

When a formed came assuring that Princess wanted to know if there was anything they could do to show themselves as the "consummate hosts" please turn in the form, I took them up on the offer and wrote out the issue. I ask at the front desk whether I ought to speak with someone or is a written form enough. They said my report would be given to the maitre'd or executive chef. That night same problem. Checked back twice. Even saw the email with my transcribed remarks.

There was never a reply, but my waiter said the head waiter would be personally bringing all our hot dishes to our table. They arrived hot for the final five night.

The head waiter, C., managed to get it done - alas without a smile.

I had actually decided to book specialty dining for final five nights, but venues were not available until late.

Something isn't working in Ruby dining room/kitchen right now.

Too much work on my part to simply get food to be served hot.

Not sure if it is executive chef or head chef needs to rally the staff. I realize waiters can only serve what kitchen puts out.

Thoughts on how I could have handle this differently.

(Note: we were at a table for two. Three other tables for two in our section sat empty for ten nights. There was also a poor couple by themselves at a table for six each night. They were not allowed to sit at an empty table for two, though we both asked. Strange.

There was also a poor couple by themselves at a table for six each night. They were not allowed to sit at an empty table for two, though we both asked. Strange.

In traditional a table that is supposedly reserved for passengers is kept for them the entire cruise, even if they do not show up.

That is why you will see the table set each evening, just in case they do show up.

In traditional a table that is supposedly reserved for passengers is kept for them the entire cruise, even if they do not show up.

That is why you will see the table set each evening, just in case they do show up.

This is why I always go anytime dining. Either nobody shows, or they come trouncing in 20 minutes late. GRRRRRRRRRRR

I tend to agree that that this Mexican cruise could have had more "spice" in their foods, even if it was only at the buffet

They had Mexican music. Mexican T-shirts and trinkets, but no hot spices to try with one exception

Thanks to a sweet couple whom I met at breakfast, I became a daily consumer at the omelette station- a jellapeno, tomato, spinach and salmon omelette. Don't hate me- it was hot and spicy.

Lyannea

There is never a shortage or lack of food to eat at any time. There was a lack of variety/change from day to day at breakfast and lunch with a bit more variety/change at dinner in the Buffet. Which is what I already posted. The quality of the food was very good. Not ever did I ever see Ramen noodles. In the MDR the food and service were excellent. We were a party of 6 for anytime dining on the nights we ate in the MDR.

I know the free drinks are a perk for Elite but wondering if the free dinner you refer to is an Elite perk (which we've never heard of)or is it associated with a promotion for that cruise or a suite perk not an Elite perk?

Those who book full suites get a free specialty restaurant dinner the first evening on cruises of six days or more.

Also, Princess often runs promotions which includes a free specialty restaurant dinner, sometimes for all cabins, sometimes for balconies and above.

It is definitely not an elite perk.

However, there have been some cruises where the 40 Most Traveled Passengers received a free specialty restaurant dinner instead of a luncheon or cocktail party.

Edited by caribill