Mariner, Miami-Lima, Jan.17, 2017

We loved Manta when we were there and were saddened by the devastation caused by the earthquake. Passengers used to be able to ride a bus with open sides and a band on the roof on the way from the port to Manta. We were given noise makers (like on New Year's Eve) and made noise all the way there while people come out of their homes to wave and smile at us. It was a highlight of our trip.

We enjoyed our week in Manta too, although most of it was spent south of the city on the beach in Santa Marianita. They did have that excursion that morning, we saw them departing--I guess the rain wasn't too heavy just then. We got to see several terrific places near Manta, and some great restaurants in Manta as well. And I got to shop in the supermarket a couple of times, which is always a treat in a foreign country, plus I got to go visit my friend Judi's favourite vendors both in Manta and Montecristi.

The re-building is happening quickly, and there is a tremendous amount of construction going on in Manta, mostly large condos with a view of the ocean.

I see that next year's circumnavigation starts earlier. The Lima-BA segment starts January 23rd, almost two weeks earlier than this year's.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

Passengers used to be able to ride a bus with open sides and a band on the roof on the way from the port to Manta. We were given noise makers (like on New Year's Eve) and made noise all the way there while people come out of their homes to wave and smile at us. It was a highlight of our trip.

The buses with the band on the roof are still in use. We didn't use them but saw them from our balcony.