Mariner, Miami-Lima, Jan.17, 2017

I'm not Wendy but do know that the specialty restaurants are not open at lunch on any ship other than the Explorer. In terms of the Mariner, they do not have the new Compass Rose menu and Signatures has not become Chartreuse yet. I believe that Mariner will get the new menu for CR in April but there is no word if Chartreuse will debut on the Mariner this year.

Please elaborate on the daily shower floods:eek:

Do I have to? ;-) Just a curtain, no enclosure to contain water while showering. Many towels used.

Wendy,

Since you are on the Mariner now, can you tell me if Prime 7 is open at lunch as it is some days on Explorer? Also, have you gone to the Champagne and Caviar breakfast?

Thx, Crispy46

No. Yes, had the caviar thing yesterday--I didn't partake.

I'm not Wendy but do know that the specialty restaurants are not open at lunch on any ship other than the Explorer. In terms of the Mariner, they do not have the new Compass Rose menu and Signatures has not become Chartreuse yet. I believe that Mariner will get the new menu for CR in April but there is no word if Chartreuse will debut on the Mariner this year.

Just an interesting tidbit. When I made my restaurant reservation for the Mariner April 18 Cuba sailing, it shows three restaurants. I made my reservations for Prime 7 and Signatures, but it also showed Chartreuse which of course hasn't replaced Signatures yet. When I clicked on Chartreuse it showed "unavailable" each night. After completing my reservations it shows "2 of 3 dining reservations completed". So...I guess they must be planning on the conversion to Chartreuse soon?

Just an interesting tidbit. When I made my restaurant reservation for the Mariner April 18 Cuba sailing, it shows three restaurants. I made my reservations for Prime 7 and Signatures, but it also showed Chartreuse which of course hasn't replaced Signatures yet. When I clicked on Chartreuse it showed "unavailable" each night. After completing my reservations it shows "2 of 3 dining reservations completed". So...I guess they must be planning on the conversion to Chartreuse soon?

Very interesting tidbit! It does seem that they are getting the website ready to replace Signatures with Chartreuse. We won't be on the Mariner until November and am happy that the new CR menu and Chartreuse will be ready for us. It is a shame that they can't open Chartreuse and/or P7 for lunch as their lunch menus are really good.

Enjoy your Cuba sailing!

It was the same for us.

Wendy, we were on the same sailing to Alaska a few years ago on the Navigator. It's been three years since we've sailed Regent and I think you also took a break from Regent. What made you jump back in? We currently sail Crystal and Celebrity, depending on the itinerary and cost. Your cruise sounds lovely and I look forward to reading more.

Wendy, we were on the same sailing to Alaska a few years ago on the Navigator. It's been three years since we've sailed Regent and I think you also took a break from Regent. What made you jump back in? We currently sail Crystal and Celebrity, depending on the itinerary and cost. Your cruise sounds lovely and I look forward to reading more.

Yes, we haven't done Regent since Alaska! It was the itinerary, timing and price that made it attractive. We wanted to visit friends in Ecuador and this was a convenient if extravagant way to get there. When they threw in one-way business air that clinched it. We feel very much at home here.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

Wendy - Since you are on Mariner now, could you be so kind as to tell us who the GM and CD happen to be? It would be good to have answers regarding the current cruise on Mariner answered by someone who is in fact on the cruise.

Further, please let us know how trivia is handled on your cruise? Does the CD do it or allow members of the entertainment staff try to make a go of it?

We look forward very much to cruising on Mariner again in March 2019 from Shanghai to Tokyo (well after the refurb, we trust).

Edited by freddie

Don't understand myself. If you ask for something you shouldn't be told to serve yourself. The waiter should have gotten him a salad.

But glad your having a great time, look forward to seeing more.

Although the Sette Mari concept should have been explained to the guests at the table, having the server get a "side salad" in this dining venue does not make sense. Sette Mari has an antipasti bar with meats, cheeses, veggies, hot and cold dishes - few really "salad type" dishes. It is doubtful that what we would think of as a "side salad" exists in Sette Mari at night.

At the beginning of the meal, when the concept was not explained, Wendy, did you explain it to them? I can understand the confusion if no one took the time to explain. Additionally, the server should have told the couple, in the most kind way possible, that they did indeed need to go to the antipasti bar/buffet to select items.

Unlike buffets on Oceania, guests serve themselves in La Veranda and Sette Mari (although some dishes that are prepared ala minute are delivered to your table in La Veranda at breakfast and at lunch.

Wendy - Since you are on Mariner now, could you be so kind as to tell us who the GM and CD happen to be? It would be good to have answers regarding the current cruise on Mariner answered by someone who is in fact on the cruise.

Further, please let us know how trivia is handled on your cruise? Does the CD do it or allow members of the entertainment staff try to make a go of it?

We look forward very much to cruising on Mariner again in March 2019 from Shanghai to Tokyo (well after the refurb, we trust).

Freddie, Paul Reynolds is the CD on Mariner at the moment.

Don't understand myself. If you ask for something you shouldn't be told to serve yourself. The waiter should have gotten him a salad.

Agree, this is not an acceptable reaction from the wait-staff.

Whatever the 'concept' in Sette Mari, which obviously hadn't been explained to the guests, if the customer wants a waiter to fetch a salad then that is what should be done....graciously

Sette Mari is not our favourite dining venue on Regent ships and, IMO, the concept/menu needs refreshing

Sette Mari is not our favourite dining venue on Regent ships and, IMO, the concept/menu needs refreshing

I agree. Our meals were edible and that's all. David said he could get better lasagna at Olive Garden. Will try again and see.

Bonaire today, beautiful weather. Did I say that Terry Breen's on for the entire trip?

I'm not Wendy but do know that the specialty restaurants are not open at lunch on any ship other than the Explorer. In terms of the Mariner, they do not have the new Compass Rose menu and Signatures has not become Chartreuse yet. I believe that Mariner will get the new menu for CR in April but there is no word if Chartreuse will debut on the Mariner this year.[/quote

We are on the Mariner now, and, according to the Executive Chef, the new CR menus will be introduced on March 7.

The onboard pianist, Ross, was raving about the new CR menu. Overall we have been very happy with the quality of meals in CR, btw. And the staff is super.

Heading to Santa Marta this morning.

BTW, I think putting the Jean Ann Ryan troupe out to pasture is probably a good thing. Not to impugn the talents of individual performers, but last night's show was cringe-worthy. Stilted and dated choreography, hackneyed performances.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Although the Sette Mari concept should have been explained to the guests at the table, having the server get a "side salad" in this dining venue does not make sense. Sette Mari has an antipasti bar with meats, cheeses, veggies, hot and cold dishes - few really "salad type" dishes. It is doubtful that what we would think of as a "side salad" exists in Sette Mari at night.

That's an excuse-period. Service is when someone does something/Sorry but I disagree with you.........and if the waiter didn't understand they need to get someone that can help.

That's an excuse-period. Service is when someone does something/Sorry but I disagree with you.........and if the waiter didn't understand they need to get someone that can help.

I guess that is a point where we need to agree to disagree. The only place the server could have obtained a "side salad" would have been to go down to Compass Rose and get one. While this is a viable alternative, other tables may have had to wait while someone went downstairs to obtain said salad. One thing that Regent is fairly strict about is not making items available in the specialty restaurants that are not on the menu. Not sure if Sette Mari is considered a specialty restaurant but, in my mind, it is. However, having said that, unlike Oceania, you can order almost anything you can think of in Compass Rose if you give them 24 hours notice.

Sea day today, steaming south towards the equator, at about 1 degree above. Very hot still.

Tomorrow Manta where we have our friends onboard for lunch and spend the day with them.

Despite not being really aware of it, and avoiding the worst, the food is generally salty. In my case and I'm sure many pax that means water retention, especially in the heat. No good for a pax mix on average in our 70's. Regent?

I'm sure my ankles will be back to normal within a day or two of disembarking.

Did I tell you about the excursion from hell in Santa Marta? Will do later, but suffice to say I twisted my ankle mildly, so one is more swollen!