Is It OK to Drink Tap Water in Cabin

LewiLewi

We spend quite a lot of time anchored off Galveston, and regularly have deliveries of Galveston municipal water brought out to the ship. It is definitely an acquired taste, and we have installed some carbon filters on the scuttlebutts to remove the rust and funky taste. Have had problems with some deliveries showing coliform bacteria, so we now only load one out of two tanks, and dose with bleach each time, even with a UV sterilizer in the system.

You should store up on dehydrated water before you arrive in Galveston.

I am using those for the majority of cruises that call at US ports. When passenger ships are within the EU, they must follow the EU's ShipSan program, and outside these areas they must follow local regulations in areas like Oz where they have water quality and ship sanitation requirements, or the WHO's passenger ship sanitation program in all other areas. All of these programs are very similar. And most of the EU and other countries like NZ and Oz have public health inspections of foreign ships, just like the US.

As to why to follow the USPH regulations when far from the US? It is in the cruise lines' best interests, if you understand the governing mandate of the USPH, which is not to protect the health of cruise ship passengers. The USPH is mandated to prevent the introduction of contagious disease into the US, and to do this, they have the mandate to board and inspect all ships coming from foreign countries. Now, I don't know if you've been on a ship undergoing a USPH sanitation inspection, but it takes about 8 hours, looks at every aspect of ship sanitation, down to lighting and ventilation, and for most ships involves interviews with crew and passengers as to their health. Now, could you imagine the chaos if this was done every week when a ship returned to the US? In order to prevent this from becoming a reality, the USPH and the cruise lines developed the VSP (Vessel Sanitation Program), whereby a ship that agrees to follow the construction and operations requirements of the USPH will not have to be inspected every voyage, but only randomly. So, it is in the cruise lines' interest to keep the records, and keep the procedures in place all during the voyage, to keep the USPH at bay.

And while the QM2's score was unimpressive, and the findings pretty disappointing, even though the first 3 findings were related to potable water, most of that was record keeping, and nothing was noted with regards to water production or possible high sodium levels or problems with the salinity equipment onboard.

Thanks for your reply.

How frequent are your voyages on Cunard ships, and did you enjoy the tap water on those voyages? (My experience is limited to 13 voyages on QM2.)

... Now, I don't know if you've been on a ship undergoing a USPH sanitation inspection, but it takes about 8 hours, looks at every aspect of ship sanitation, down to lighting and ventilation, and for most ships involves interviews with crew and passengers as to their health."-----------------

Yes, we have been on ships while the inspection was taking place, but most memorable to me is sitting on the floor of the Manhattan cruise terminal waiting to board the Veendam on 19 August 2012.

I asked the reason for the delay in boarding, and was told it was due to "operational difficulties". We learned after disembarking that the reason for the delay was that the ship had failed inspection.

You can read the inspection report here: https://wwwn.cdc.gov/InspectionQueryTool/InspectionDetailReport.aspx?ColI=MTgwMDAxMjE%3d-xo0EkEPOm%2bU%3d

So, yes, chengkp75, I have respect for CDC Inspections, but I am mindful that those inspections are few and far between, and that the "honor system" on cruise ships does often fall short of expectations.

Edited by Salacia

Thanks for your reply.

How frequent are your voyages on Cunard ships, and did you enjoy the tap water on those voyages? (My experience is limited to 13 voyages on QM2.)

:confused: I think it's clear that chengkp75's knowledge comes from life experience rather than any Cunard cruises he may or may not have taken. I didn't see anything in his post that suggested there was direct observation, just a good understanding of how foreign-flagged ships must operate in order to be well-treated on US port calls.

:confused: I think it's clear that chengkp75's knowledge comes from life experience rather than any Cunard cruises he may or may not have taken. I didn't see anything in his post that suggested there was direct observation, just a good understanding of how foreign-flagged ships must operate in order to be well-treated on US port calls.

Underwatr, Thank you for your response to my question directed to chengkp75in which I simply asked chengkp75 if he liked the taste of the tap water on Cunard ships. I think that was in keeping with the topic of this thread. We are talking about Cunard ships, are we not?

We spend quite a lot of time anchored off Galveston, and regularly have deliveries of Galveston municipal water brought out to the ship. It is definitely an acquired taste, and we have installed some carbon filters on the scuttlebutts to remove the rust and funky taste. Have had problems with some deliveries showing coliform bacteria, so we now only load one out of two tanks, and dose with bleach each time, even with a UV sterilizer in the system.

Yikes! What kind of vessel are you working on?

We usually drink bottled water on most of our cruises, but this will be a very long one and we are wondering whether or not the tap water in cabin is OK to drink.

I have been round the world on QE and done cruises on QM and QV and have always drunk the tap water and no ill effects at all. I do have some bottles when I board and just fill them up when empty. Just my experience.

Thanks for your reply.

I have a couple of voyages on Cunard, but I will say that I have never had a problem with the tap water on any cruise ship. Besides, my issue with your original statement was dealing with sodium levels, not taste. Water taste is an extremely subjective topic, and one that is entirely different from the original question of water safety.

Yikes! What kind of vessel are you working on?

I am currently working on a tanker, and tankers tend to spend longer periods at anchor than most other ships, so shore water becomes a far greater proportion of the water supply than most ships, as you can only produce water when underway. And dealing with the vagaries of shore water deliveries, from boats that are not necessarily certified to carry potable water, and from hydrants that have not been tested for quality, only makes me appreciate the quality and measures to ensure that quality that I've worked with and traveled with on cruise ships.

As to the "limitations" of USPH inspections, be aware that there are other agencies, throughout the world, that inspect ships. With the implementation of the Maritime Labor Convention, port states now have the right to inspect all ships for proper sanitation methods, which must meet the mandated levels in the MLC and WHO codes, regardless of whether a ship follows the USPH or not. And basic things like water sanitation are of great concern to the cruise lines, as they cannot afford to have hundreds of passengers ill (compensation), not to mention the crew, who live onboard longer than the passengers.

As for the "honor" system on the cruise lines, I feel far safer knowing that the ships are occasionally subject to USPH inspection, than most local restaurants in the US whose inspections are far more random, and whose health codes are not as strict.

Ch Eng, i notice a lot of tankers anchored outside Galveston. Is that because there ins't access to the port to pick up your next load, or are you waiting for the next contract to haul a load?

In some cases, the ships are waiting on berth space to load, or they are being used as floating storage facilities until the price is right to discharge their load.

...As for the "honor" system on the cruise lines, I feel far safer knowing that the ships are occasionally subject to USPH inspection, than most local restaurants in the US whose inspections are far more random, and whose health codes are not as strict.

Far more random and not as strict? Facts do not support that claim.

For example, here you can find 24,ooo health inspection reports on NYC restaurants: http://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/services/restaurant-grades.page

Edited by Salacia

Far more random and not as strict? Facts do not support that claim.

For example, here you can find 24,ooo health inspection reports on NYC restaurants: http://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/services/restaurant-grades.page

Of the USPH inspectors I worked with over the years, at least 6 were ex-NYC health inspectors, and they stated that the USPH inspections were more thorough, and the requirements stricter than NYC standards, and for the most part, they would prefer eating onboard cruise ships over 90% of restaurants ashore. Would love to know how many minutes the NYC inspections take.

I drink tap water at home but while cruising we buy big bottles of still and fizzy water just before going back on board and have never had any issues with keeping them in the fridge. I drink a reasonable amount of water every day and would bankrupt myself with the cost of Cunard's bottles!

Of the USPH inspectors I worked with over the years, at least 6 were ex-NYC health inspectors, and they stated that the USPH inspections were more thorough, and the requirements stricter than NYC standards, and for the most part, they would prefer eating onboard cruise ships over 90% of restaurants ashore. Would love to know how many minutes the NYC inspections take.

In regard to U.K. I would far rather eat on a Cunard ship(hygene wise) than most of the local restraunts. Inspections are the responsibility of local authorities, and in practice are few and far between (local councils are under severe financial cuts) and only tend to be made after a complaint from a member of the public. But the horror stories we read after these inspections would put you off eating altogether.

And not just where I live apparently. http://metro.co.uk/2016/10/03/chef-at-top-london-hotel-restaurant-thought-mouse-droppings-were-spices-6167545/

David

Edited by balf

I'm sorry, I don't know how long NYC restaurants inspections take, but my guess is that would depend on the size of the restaurant and the food preparation area. I think it's fair to say that not many land based restaurant inspection can compare with a cruise ship inspection anyway since not many restaurants have pools, hot tubs, crew dining rooms, miles of plumbing pipes, water storage, desalination etc

Edited by Salacia