Best excursions on st maarten with kids?? Help!

Pier290

Maho beach is pretty cool. The surf is quite rough so it's not the best place if you are poor swimmers, but actually a lot of fun if you are a competent swimmer. It is crowded and small though. Look online for arrival times for KLM planes before you go. Those are the big ones. Air France too. I would suggest going here because I'm sure the kids would love it.

The beach at St. Phillipsburg is easy and cheap. It's a quick return to the ship afterwards.

As others have said most of the nudity on Orient is at the far end, but the whole beach is clothing optional. We started going to St. Martin when our girls were 8 & 11 (or thereabouts), and we all love Orient. Yes, it's clothing optional and they might see someone without clothes. Before we went for the first time we explained to them what they might see and that it's perfectly acceptable in many parts of the world. They weren't bothered by it at all. It is a beautiful beach, although it can get quite busy. The far end, the opposite end from Club Orient, is typically a lot quieter. There are lots of places to eat, and several vendors offering various water sports - trampolines, jet skis, parasailing, etc.

Maho is a small beach and it's fun to watch the planes for a while, but I don't know that I'd make a day of it, even when the kids were little.

When we were in St. Maarten recently, our friend who lives there, took us to Galion Beach. I believe it is a cove behind Orient Beach and is protected by a large reef. It is very quiet, shallow, and rather still water, and is where the locals take their children because it is so safe for swimming. No waves to speak of really, but you can hear and see the surf pounding beyond the reef. Hope this helps.

http://www.sint-maarten.net/St-Maarten-Beaches/LeGalion.html

Edited by missm

I have vacationed on St. Maarten many times. Kids love the beach. Orient Beach is my favorite. Only the southern section near Club O is clothing optional. The beach clubs are very nice. Favorite is Waikiki. The other favorite for kids is the Butterfly Farm. Go there early for best viewing. Skip excursions.

That beach is Great Bay and has had serious pollution issues. The sewage enters the water nearby Bobby's Marina. You can see it. No way I would go in the water at that beach. Even with a hepatitis shot....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does anyone have a current status of the water at that beach....we have avoided it fir many yrs....maybe it was cleaned up and sewage no longer discharged?,?,

Edited by hcat

Does anyone have a current status of the water at that beach....we have avoided it fir many yrs....maybe it was cleaned up and sewage no longer discharged?,?,

It has not been cleaned up. Take a look at the picture in this article from 2015. That is what pours into Great Bay from Great Salt Pond. They purposely pump it into the bay. You can see that channel outflowing near Bobby's Marina.

http://www.todaysxm.com/great-salt-pond-pollution-continues/

Edited by Charles4515

It has not been cleaned up. Take a look at the picture in this article from 2015. That is what pours into Great Bay from Great Salt Pond. They purposely pump it into the bay. You can see that channel outflowing near Bobby's Marina.

Thanks...good to know. Sad it is not remedied.

Thanks...good to know. Sad it is not remedied.

We swam in Great Bay in 2012, 2013, and 2015 and are still alive.

Edited by wallie5446

This is a serious question and not an attempt to hijack this thread:

What is the attraction of watching planes land over a beach? Maybe I'm jaded as I live on the approach to both Reagan and Dulles, and flew close to 60,000 miles last year, but there's no way on earth I'd go out of my way to watch planes land on my vacation! I just want to see the plane land so I can go home...

Living on approach path is way different than having plane land 50 feet above your head.

I've flown over million miles and I go to Maho beach every time I'm on St Maarten.

To each his own.

We swam in Great Bay in 2012, 2013, and 2015 and are still alive.

There are cancer causing agents in the heavy metals being dumped into the bay. They don't cause cancer immediately. Not saying that you are going to get cancer from them but they are poisons that could cause cancer in some people.

I doubt most people swimming in Great Bay know about the pollution. Whenever I see that beach recommended since I do know about it I am going to mention it. Then people can decide if they want to swim there anyway. I do think it is odd that some respond that since they didn't get sick the day they swam there, that makes it safe.

Edited by Charles4515

Living on approach path is way different than having plane land 50 feet above your head.

I've flown over million miles and I go to Maho beach every time I'm on St Maarten.

To each his own.

And I have no problem with people going if they want to.

I also spent two years watching U2's take off every morning, and have had just about every form of US military aircraft land over the top of me as I ran along the flight line. So, again, that probably jades my interest in watching a heavy land on a beach. But I have no problem with those who do. It's just always seemed strange to me.

Hi,I don't know if it was mentioned yet, but a few years ago we took our boys the the 'Yoda guy museum" on Front Street in Philipsburg. If your kids are Star Wars fans its a fun way to spend an hour or so. Still left us time for the beach after. You can google "Yoda guy St. Maarten" and get an idea of what is there. We found it very interesting. Its not very big but it contains a lot of movie props, etc from Star Wars mainly but also several other movies.

There are cancer causing agents in the heavy metals being dumped into the bay. They don't cause cancer immediately. Not saying that you are going to get cancer from them but they are poisons that could cause cancer in some people.

I doubt most people swimming in Great Bay know about the pollution. Whenever I see that beach recommended since I do know about it I am going to mention it. Then people can decide if they want to swim there anyway. I do think it is odd that some respond that since they didn't get sick the day they swam there, that makes it safe.

Of course it is not 'instant' :rolleyes:

We swam there the first time in 1992. Took the kids back in 1994 and swam off the patio of Every Tin Cool. This was all before the hurricane wiped it all out and the Boardwalk was built. Done the day pass at the Sonnesta, Capt Bob, Bernard's, and a few catermans thru the cruise line. It is hard to get a lounger there when there are 3-4-5 ships in.

Also, here is a drone video made by a Celebrity employee a few months back. The water at GB is amazing. If it was a hazard do you think every major cruise Co in the world would call there, and put their pax at risk? Let alone Law suites for negligence.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2428059

IMG_3379.jpg.c97e5d3b5ab4eaf0b386a04ffdf82b12.jpg

Edited by wallie5446

Great advice. Thanks everyone....I think our best bet is the beach close to the pier.....then Maho on day 2....Fr the kids. They are 11 and 7.

Captain Bob is great. We are booking for the 3rd time this spring. You meet him close to the dock where you board a speedboat. Tour around Simpson Bay and the French side of the island. Several snorkel stops, a delicious lunch and last stop is to watch airplanes for a few minutes. The kids would love it. Very fast speed boat and good snorkel spots. Captain Bob is very entertaining. Beer, soft drinks and water are included, as well as the lunch.

Check out Trip Advisor. Check Captain Bob or Soualigia tours.

That's what we're planning to do. Assuming the airline schedules cooperate, my 5 and 6 year olds will love it!.

Mike

We were just there last week. The first "large" aircraft - Jetblue - arrived a couple minutes before Noon. Most of the larger international flights arrived after 2:00 PM and we didn't see any departures other than private jets or small regional flights before 1:00 pm. The Sunset Beach Bar posts the airline schedules on their website. Food was good there and the views of the beach and flights fantastic. http://sunsetsxm.com/sunset/