Sun Princess interior cabin 3rd bed

Can anyone tell me if all the bunks on the Sun are the wall mounted type or do they have the retractable into the ceiling type as well? Every site I have checked so far only shows wall mounted bunks?

If the do have ceiling retractable ones how do I tell which cabins have them?

Can anyone tell me if all the bunks on the Sun are the wall mounted type or do they have the retractable into the ceiling type as well? Every site I have checked so far only shows wall mounted bunks?

Womble, I am a member of a site that shows pictures of cabins......I have had a look at about 20 photos cruiseres have taken of 3 berths and they are all mounted on the side wall, the hit your head ones!!! All the 4 berths I have looked at in all categories are in the ceiling.

I remember when the Regal Princess came out years ago and changed to P&O Pacific Dawn, they put in lots extra 4 berths and they jutted out from the wall, you were able to tell which were which by looking at the Regal deck plans and the Pacific Dawn one.

For some reason I seem to remember that when the Sun Class started sailing from here they put in more cabins, perhaps made three berths and that is why they are not in the ceiling.......anyone else remember that far back??

These 4 berth cabins are Dawn Princess, 2009 & Sun Princess - 2016. They more or less seem to look the same.

That is what I am finding in all the pics as well, though that is the type of cabin we want to avoid if possible. The picture on the booking page for an interior shows a single bunk that retracts into the ceiling, however there doesn't seem to be any passenger photos that match up?

Is it just the 4 berth rooms that have the wall mounted bunks or are all bunks wall mounted on the Sun class ships?

Those photos posted above look to be the balcony cabins that were later converted to 4 berths??......as I stated above, the 4 berths all look to be attached to wall, the 3 berths, the bunk disappears into the ceiling.

Are you requiring a twin or a 4 berth?

Edited by cheznandy

According to the post below, the top bunk disappears into the wall.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=51252736&postcount=32

On these ships we have sometimes been in four-berth cabins. On some, the top beds disappear into the ceiling. These would have been the ones that were installed when the ship was built. In other cabins, the top bunks (can be one or two) have been added later and are on the side walls. I do not see how it would be possible for these bunks to disappear into the side walls. There isn't enough space. They are exactly as was shown in the photos above. Frankly, they are a nuisance.

On these ships we have sometimes been in four-berth cabins. On some, the top beds disappear into the ceiling. These would have been the ones that were installed when the ship was built. In other cabins, the top bunks (can be one or two) have been added later and are on the side walls. I do not see how it would be possible for these bunks to disappear into the side walls. There isn't enough space. They are exactly as was shown in the photos above. Frankly, they are a nuisance.

I thought that they had made some twins quads when the Sun class came here.

On the cruise deck plans data base I have looked at about 30 photos of three and four berth, all taken by cruisers for the Sea, Sun and Dawn.

I can see the beds in the ceiling for the 4 berths and the 3 berths they come out of the wall.....but they are obviously not every photo of every cabin.

I know for sure that the 10 quad balconies jut our of the wall as the photos above, as you can see the door frame to the balcony in one of them.

If the OP wants a twin......when you make your booking on the Princess site....or do a dummy booking before you call your travel agent, it states if the room is a quad or twin etc.

Personally, I could not have a cabin with the bunks out of the wall, one of the reasons I dont take guarantees and mark no upgrade.

Personally, I could not have a cabin with the bunks out of the wall, one of the reasons I dont take guarantees and mark no upgrade.

If there is just the two of you it isn't an issue. We had the beds in twin configuration on our last cruise and I had the bed with the bunk above it. It only sticks out about 10cms or so and didn't inconvenience me at all. However it would have been a completely different story if there had been three of us in the cabin. Then it would have been a nuisance.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

We are after a triple but if the bunks are the fold from the wall type not the completely recessed type we would rather look for an extra person and get two cabins.

If you get a 3 berth only, and the bunk is folded out, I guess it wont make any difference if it is out from the wall or ceiling?, but I understand if it was a four berth and it was out of the wall, and you only used one, it would get in the way......if you go to site like OZ cruising, look for the cabins with the triangle, they are 3 berth only, the red dots are quads, so avoid them:)

Edited by cheznandy

If there is just the two of you it isn't an issue. We had the beds in twin configuration on our last cruise and I had the bed with the bunk above it. It only sticks out about 10cms or so and didn't inconvenience me at all. However it would have been a completely different story if there had been three of us in the cabin. Then it would have been a nuisance.

I think the top beds stick out more than 10cm - maybe close to 15cm. Consider that when the bed is folded away the 'box' has to accommodate the timber base of the bed, plus mattress, plus bedding.

We used to have the bed made up as a Queen size when we cruised. It was very very difficult to walk like a crab down the side of the bed with the folded up top bunk in the way. It isn't as bad when the beds are made up as singles, but with set-up I always seem to manage to hit my head when I sit up in bed. :(

I think the top beds stick out more than 10cm - maybe close to 15cm. Consider that when the bed is folded away the 'box' has to accommodate the timber base of the bed, plus mattress, plus bedding.

We used to have the bed made up as a Queen size when we cruised. It was very very difficult to walk like a crab down the side of the bed with the folded up top bunk in the way. It isn't as bad when the beds are made up as singles, but with set-up I always seem to manage to hit my head when I sit up in bed. :(

You could be right. It didn't seem overly large though and I never bumped my head on it. We had the new beds on our Sun cruise and I think they are slightly wider than the old ones so easier to stay away from the wall. ;)

Here is a quick youtube video I found of the Sun princess......the first cabin is a 3 berth with the bunk down, the second cabin a three berth with the bunk up.

I can see how if you had the cabin as a queen that bunk would annoy me.....but as a three berth as single beds, I think that is what you are after?

Edited by cheznandy

You could be right. It didn't seem overly large though and I never bumped my head on it. We had the new beds on our Sun cruise and I think they are slightly wider than the old ones so easier to stay away from the wall. ;)

You are right in saying that the new beds are a bit wider than the old ones. The new ones are a full 90cm (36 inches). The bed bases have little u-side down 'U' shaped pieces of metal welded onto the base to keep them on. Otherwise they would overhang by a couple of centimetres and could slide off if they weren't jammed on.