Still Disappointed

A number of years ago my DH and I sailed RCCL there were a number of mishaps and we had a terrible cruise. We said then that we would never said RCCL again. Well. . . . A group that we really wanted to be a part of, sailed on a 4 night cruise on IotSeas on 1/5-1/9. We decided that it had been a long time since we had had problems with RCCL and lots of people sail it and like it, so we would go with the group. Well, it was a big disappointment. This time there were NO service issues, which was the problem the last time, but I just don't get how so many of you love it so much....The food was terrible, Carnival's is actually better food, for less money! The ship's carpet, drapes, decoration's bedding, etc. were old and tired looking. The rest of the ship was well maintained, but we were not crazy about the lay-out. We always love going to the coffee-bar to relax , read the news, read a book, watch the sea, etc. But not on this ship, they have a live band playing and busting your ear-drums! The band was good, but to us should have been at the pool! Sorry, just NOTHING that we liked, unless we are desperate to be with "group" again, we go back to "never RCCL". I am sure that RCCL fans will not miss us and be glad for more room for them. They can have the folks that have no clue how to dress in public, they are all yours.
Amazing is all I can come up with.....K.O.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

A number of years ago my DH and I sailed RCCL there were a number of mishaps and we had a terrible cruise. We said then that we would never said RCCL again. Well. . . . A group that we really wanted to be a part of, sailed on a 4 night cruise on IotSeas on 1/5-1/9. We decided that it had been a long time since we had had problems with RCCL and lots of people sail it and like it, so we would go with the group. Well, it was a big disappointment. This time there were NO service issues, which was the problem the last time, but I just don't get how so many of you love it so much....The food was terrible, Carnival's is actually better food, for less money! The ship's carpet, drapes, decoration's bedding, etc. were old and tired looking. The rest of the ship was well maintained, but we were not crazy about the lay-out. We always love going to the coffee-bar to relax , read the news, read a book, watch the sea, etc. But not on this ship, they have a live band playing and busting your ear-drums! The band was good, but to us should have been at the pool! Sorry, just NOTHING that we liked, unless we are desperate to be with "group" again, we go back to "never RCCL". I am sure that RCCL fans will not miss us and be glad for more room for them. They can have the folks that have no clue how to dress in public, they are all yours.

That is why there is more than one cruise line. It allows you the freedom to pick the one you like best and to avoid the ones you don't like. I too have cruised on lines I like and avoided the ones I don't like.

Sorry, just NOTHING that we liked, unless we are desperate to be with "group" again, we go back to "never RCCL".

Is posting here make you feel good? I just don't get the psychology behind posting on a web forum for a product you'll never use and which is very unlikely to dissuade any of the regular users of that forum.:rolleyes:

You guys seem like you're a good fit for a Viking River/Ocean Cruise... Quiet; very little entertainment; all the old folks are dressed in their Sunday best; food is probably better (10 different flavors of Ensure).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

^ This :D

Bummer for you but thanks for sharing your opinion.

Is posting here make you feel good? I just don't get the psychology behind posting on a web forum for a product you'll never use and which is very unlikely to dissuade any of the regular users of that forum.:rolleyes:

Not all regular users of forums are pure loyalists to that cruise line. Many of us like to sleep around. :) So for many, any review can be useful information in deciding where to sleep next.

Now, if the poster complained about each and every RCCL cruise they went on but kept on sailing with RCCL each and every time, I might question their psychology. :rolleyes:

;)

Edited by DirtyDawg

I'm with you, other than the dress thing as how other people dress is of no interest to me and never affects my experience. I think RCCL is on the lower end of cruising but it's also lower in price than some other lines (not the newest boats of course). I'd never go on a transatlantic on RCCL but I think it's fine for a port intensive itinerary. For me, if I've got a good price, a port intensive itinerary, and I book to eat in specialty dining most if not all nights, then I can make a great vacation out of an RCCL cruise. I'm going on a western med this summer and while I would rather be on Disney or Celebrity, the price is right. I'm not expecting to have as nice a cruise as I would on another line, but the cruise isn't the destination. It's all about the expectations - mine will be low so I expect they can be met and I will be happy. :)

Yes, it is useful.

I will concede that it was.. very negative and perhaps was a bit over the top in its dramatic tone, but - yes, reviews like these ARE useful.

I for one am grateful for all the negative reviews of the RCCL MDR food as of late, because I have tempered my expectations as a direct result of reading them. I am still looking forward to my upcoming RCCL cruise, but the bar was set extremely high after we cruised on the Celebrity Silhouette in 2013 and had phenomenal food both in the MDR and two of the specialty restaurants, and the hubs & I are foodies. We picked RCCL this time cuz we have a toddler now and Celebrity's child programming was.. um.. seriously lacking. :D

Amen!

To each their own, but I had a good LOL that Carnival > RCL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree. I was at San Juan airport returning from Jewel of the Seas and met a lady coming off a Carnival and she hated the experience. There wasn't anything about the cruise that she liked. I loved Jewel of the Seas. I had absolutely no service issues and the food in the MDR was great. (I even tried escargot finally). Your cruise is what you make of it. I go determined to enjoy everything about the cruise and I always do.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OP, my daughter and I just got off the IOS two days ago and I must say I agree with everything you wrote with the exception of service. The service we received was horrible: from experiencing an ongoing argument between our waiter and assistant waiter on formal night to being greeted another night with "know what you want?" just seconds after sitting down. My answer to that one was "yeah, I'd like a waiter who introduces himself and asks if I'd like a wine list". While my daughter was horrified at my behavior, I was horrified that we were treated in such a way. I could give several other examples but I think those two pretty much sum up our service experience. In this assistance waiter's defense, it was clear he was teamed with a jerk. He actually went out of his way to find us and apologize while the head waiter continued to mock him to us, apparently looking for our support. :eek:

I will be writing my own review when time allows this weekend but just wanted to show some support....not everyone wants to read glowing (often one-sided) reviews. Everyone's experiences are helpful for future cruisers, the good, the bad, and in this case, the ugly.

Really? A negative rant like the OP's is useful to the average person looking at an RCI cruise?

For me the OP as well as some of the replies which it prompted are potentially useful. I'll be taking my first RCI cruise, and if it confirms some of the comments which are of personal concern, I can weigh that in future decisions, or at least research the concern more on cruise critic.

I suggest the op try Holland America. It might be a better fit for them.

I'm not a foodie but my husband is and we sailed with Holland this summer in Alaska. He felt the food was no better than Carnival (the line we usually sail). I don't know if this was because we were in Alaska but he was expecting better. We are sailing Anthem in April because he wants to try a ship as opposed to an itinerary. Looking forward to it despite OP opinion. Maybe I'm just used to the butt cracks....

I'm not a foodie but my husband is and we sailed with Holland this summer in Alaska. He felt the food was no better than Carnival (the line we usually sail). I don't know if this was because we were in Alaska but he was expecting better. We are sailing Anthem in April because he wants to try a ship as opposed to an itinerary. Looking forward to it despite OP opinion. Maybe I'm just used to the butt cracks....

You missed your chance to fully experience Anthem's dining with the elimination of Dynamic Dining.

The ship IS the destination though.

OP, my daughter and I just got off the IOS two days ago and I must say I agree with everything you wrote with the exception of service. The service we received was horrible: from experiencing an ongoing argument between our waiter and assistant waiter on formal night to being greeted another night with "know what you want?" just seconds after sitting down. My answer to that one was "yeah, I'd like a waiter who introduces himself and asks if I'd like a wine list". While my daughter was horrified at my behavior, I was horrified that we were treated in such a way. I could give several other examples but I think those two pretty much sum up our service experience. In this assistance waiter's defense, it was clear he was teamed with a jerk. He actually went out of his way to find us and apologize while the head waiter continued to mock him to us, apparently looking for our support. :eek:

I will be writing my own review when time allows this weekend but just wanted to show some support....not everyone wants to read glowing (often one-sided) reviews. Everyone's experiences are helpful for future cruisers, the good, the bad, and in this case, the ugly.

In addition to any review, write RCI corporate, even up to Michael Bayley. Ranting on CC won't do anything to improve the situation, telling it to corporate will give them a chance to address it. My last cruise on Jewel Of the Seas was excellent. Food was great, service even better.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums