PH suite on small ships to remove tubs

alexandra cruiser

and only have showers,acc.to O cruise TA . When I went to lecture last wk.onboard Regatta,they said this would happen in future. Not sure WHEN and sadly will determine WHICH O ships I will be able to sail on.Know this will only effect PH suites,but I booked them ONLY for tub. Know MANY of you would like this change, or they wouldn t be doing it.But I LIKE the choice between the 2, so will have to go on Marina and Riviera now.Which limits my itinerary choices.

Have one booked in July on Insignia and O rep..said would be there then.

Does anyone know the timetable for the ships.?? Don t want to book one and then find out at last min.its been changed.

Our butler said that quite a few guests have trouble getting out of the tubs,best solution would be to offer BOTH,but no space sadly.

Edited by alexandra cruiser

Our butler on our last cruise said the same thing about some passengers having trouble getting out of the tub. Ten years ago I had a torn meniscus but still could get out of the tub without a problem, and on that trip the tub was really essential for me. True, I was more mobile ten years ago!

But I still prefer having a tub.

It's too bad they feel the need to give people no choice in the matter.

But there's no arguing with city hall ...

Mura

I wonder why they have to change all of them - ?? Maybe leave some with the tub so it gives their customers options. When booking you could make your choice if both are available.

If it were up to you, how many would you change?

How would you know how many to change to keep everyone happy? You could spend a lot of money and still many people would not have their choice.

I think it's all or none from the view point of the company.

Edited by Paulchili

I would much rather have a larger shower than a tub, but we have never had the pleasure of a penthouse (we could, if we took advantage of the upgrade offers we've been getting on our cruise next month, but the dates of the offered cruises don't work for us :( ). We have lived in our house for 11 years and the tub in our master bath hasn't been used once.

I remember when they were building Marina

FDR asked here what people wanted to see on the new ship

TUBS were one of the things

When Marina debuted ..people complained how the tub was a waste of space & they wish there was just a shower

Moral:

be careful what you wish for ;)

you cannot please everyone all the time

We were in a Vista on Sirena in October.

No tub. A huge shower replaced the old jacuzzi. But in rough weather I didn't feel at all safe in that shower. There are hand holds but they weren't necessarily in the best places.

Mura

of this. Told me to write to guest relations,but have not heard back.Also, got the 2018 brochure today and sure enough STILL have listed a tub in small ships. So emailed my TA to get all the info and timing,still waiting to hear.

Thinking it may be when they have their next upgrade,so may vary.

Re.keeping a few tubs,,think its fine. Regent and Silversea have a few rooms with tubs,have booked theseWAY in advance since so limited.

Just feel a choice is the best way,some will have it or chose NOT to.

Re.keeping a few tubs,,think its fine. Regent and Silversea have a few rooms with tubs,have booked theseWAY in advance since so limited.

Just feel a choice is the best way,some will have it or chose NOT to.

What is a few? 2 or 10 or 20 or 30 (of the total of about 52, I believe)?

We were on Sirena and friends in PH had no tub, so it would seem to me they plan that change on the other small ships.

One other thing. Although we basically loved the updating of Sirena we were disappointed with the beds. They were not as comfortable as the Tranquility beds we have had on the other ships. Everything was nearly new an yet there was a bit of a dip in our bed. I reported this to our housekeeper and he spent time working on it and improved it. They also offered to replace the mattress. The problem was the mattresses were different even though they were still called Tranquility. I did let several of the management know and also wrote it on my shipboard review. We were told they were putting these beds on all the ships but perhaps they won't. I'm sure others must have noticed a difference.

IF you took a serious look around the dining room, you would see a lot of "senior" cruisers. I guess I should say I'm one about to turn 78. If the only option was a shower, I can see where it would be troublesome for some seniors to get in and out.

I personally don't have that problem, but it would probably be hard for Oceania to only have "selective" cabins with baths only unless they tacked on say $500 a week for a bath equipped room. That might keep the bath cabins available closer to sailing.

And then, there's the hot tub option...

Star,

My feeling in reading the posts is that people would like for some rooms to retain the tub-shower combo. That is certainly MY feeling. I understand that it wouldn't be easy for Oceania to decide how many rooms get what configuration.

I do know that when I was in the new large shower in the Sirena VS in October, on the rough sea day we had sailing around a hurricane as we were heading for Bermuda, I would have felt much more secure in the tub-shower combo we always had in the PH rooms on the "R" ships. It's not that there weren't hand grips available iin the VS, but they just weren't in a great place. Also, it's a very large shower. So trying to apply soap AND hold onto the grip wasn't really possible. It was much easier in the combo set-up which is a narrower space.

I confess as well to having preferred the OS-VS jacuzzi-shower combo on the "R" ships as well ... again, the room between soap dish and hand hold was narrower there.

JMO!

Lower cabins (i.e. below PH) on the "R" ships don't have room for anything BUT a small shower, so we aren't talking about those rooms. At least I don't think so!

Mura

Star,

My age is just a few years younger than yours. My feeling in reading the posts is that people would like for some rooms to retain the tub-shower combo. That is certainly MY feeling. I understand that it wouldn't be easy for Oceania to decide how many rooms get what configuration.

I do know that when I was in the new large shower in the Sirena VS in October, on the rough sea day we had sailing around a hurricane as we were heading for Bermuda, I would have felt much more secure in the tub-shower combo we always had in the PH rooms on the "R" ships. It's not that there weren't hand grips available iin the VS, but they just weren't in a great place. Also, it's a very large shower. So trying to apply soap AND hold onto the grip wasn't really possible. It was much easier in the combo set-up which is a narrower space.

I confess as well to having preferred the OS-VS jacuzzi-shower combo on the "R" ships as well ... again, the room between soap dish and hand hold was narrower there.

JMO!

Lower cabins (i.e. below PH) on the "R" ships don't have room for anything BUT a small shower, so we aren't talking about those rooms. At least I don't think so!

Mura

maybe they could offer a bath chair to those that need something a bit stable in the shower

I try to shower before we set sail in case the seas are bumpy

I hate our shower/tub combo at home the tub is so deep to climb over the side

IF you took a serious look around the dining room, you would see a lot of "senior" cruisers. I guess I should say I'm one about to turn 78. If the only option was a shower, I can see where it would be troublesome for some seniors to get in and out.

Do you really think that it is easier for seniors with mobility issues to get into and out of tubs?

I don't - I think it's a lot easier to walk into and out of a flat floor like a shower (with appropriately placed bars for support).

This is the press release about the renovations:

When the updates are complete, all guests will be welcomed with rich new decor in their suite or stateroom, imbuing their home away from home with a new sense of style, elegance and flair. Specific changes include new bathrooms with a lavish oversized shower and new onyx and granite vanities in the Owner’s and Vista Suites. The Penthouse Suites will be transformed into virtual replicas of those on Marina and Riviera. All staterooms will feature luxurious new fabrics and furnishings.

A walk in shower does seem a better fit than the old tub/shower combination for the majority of passengers, from a safety and accessibility perspective.

Oceania_Regatta_PH2_Cabin_5.JPGDSC_0597-243x496.jpg

As armchair quarterbacks, I think that we all enjoy the idea of a leisurely soak when vacationing...

c42af1b8e91c8e95018ceb9cc2e785d6.jpg

-but for us at least, the reality is rushing back to the cabin for a ten minute shower and a shave because Trivia starts in a half an hour and we promised to save the seats!

Edited by JimandStan