Sign & Sail Card in your mail box

CruiseHealing

On MSC they open your room

Door when rooms are ready and your room keys are inside. Not sure why Carnival has to use the mailboxes outside of the door. It worked great.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Who opens the door? The premise on Carnival ships (you asked why the mailbox) is diamond, plays and fttf will be in the mailbox early. Others later.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just a general question for this: You want to purchase a drink but you're card is waiting for you when the cabin is ready. But you can't get to your cabin yet because it's not ready.....what do you then? Especially if you don't have priority boarding or FTTF........

Just a general question for this: You want to purchase a drink but you're card is waiting for you when the cabin is ready. But you can't get to your cabin yet because it's not ready.....what do you then? Especially if you don't have priority boarding or FTTF........

You use your boarding pass.

They use your boarding pass until cards are ready

I have a problem with this card distribution system. I work for a major resort with thousands of hotel rooms. Room keys are personalized with guests information and allow them to charge any resort goods or services to their account. Much like on the ships the time between previous guest check out and check in time is a flurry of maids, bell boys, rooms men, maintenance, florists, and suite coordinators. At a security meeting staff fell about laughing at the idea of putting room cards in the hallways.

Now I don't care if the room cards are sealed in an envelope, and stored in a lemonade jar under Funk & Wagnall's front porch they are exposed to whoever walks down the hall. This means neither the ship or the guest have control of a means to charge to an account. Worse yet, it is easy enough to clone the cards allowing Mr. Thief access to your cabin.

If the goal of ship's management to prevent people from entering their cabins early they can easily use the door lock system to prevent use before the appointed time.

I think it is nice to have a check in person verify your documents and hand you your "key." It is they way hospitality has been done for centuries.

I have a problem with this card distribution system. I work for a major resort with thousands of hotel rooms. Room keys are personalized with guests information and allow them to charge any resort goods or services to their account. Much like on the ships the time between previous guest check out and check in time is a flurry of maids, bell boys, rooms men, maintenance, florists, and suite coordinators. At a security meeting staff fell about laughing at the idea of putting room cards in the hallways.

Now I don't care if the room cards are sealed in an envelope, and stored in a lemonade jar under Funk & Wagnall's front porch they are exposed to whoever walks down the hall. This means neither the ship or the guest have control of a means to charge to an account. Worse yet, it is easy enough to clone the cards allowing Mr. Thief access to your cabin.

If the goal of ship's management to prevent people from entering their cabins early they can easily use the door lock system to prevent use before the appointed time.

I think it is nice to have a check in person verify your documents and hand you your "key." It is they way hospitality has been done for centuries.

Hotels also don't have a picture attached to the key. Every time you purchase something on the cruise your picture pops up making a lot harder to get away with stealing. Also the time between you noticing the key is missing and them being able to do damage is pretty small. Once you get to your room you'll know if it's missing and can easily report it.

The only people that are going to be in the hallways are the cabin stewards, not people from the outside like a hotel where people come and go at any time of the day or night. With the exception of B2B cruisers, all civilians are booted off the ship at a certain time unlike hotels. The room keys are placed in the envelopes when the room is completed. They cannot be "cloned" without anyone knowing it because they are not RFID capable. If a card is missing or the envelope tampered with, you will know it and that card (along with it's rogue clone) will be deactivated rendering it useless.

If "Mr Thief" wants to access your cabin before you get in it then #1, what are they going to steal? - the room is empty. #2 - your envelope will be missing therefore, any erroneous charges will be deleted from your account.

People need to stop being so paranoid. Seriously.

Edited by firemanbobswife

The goal is to make embarkation easier, from experience I'd say it is doing that. Centuries?????

Sent from my iPad using Forums

How has this been working out? Is this now fleet wide with Carnival? My first thought is that this is not a good idea. What happens if you get to your room and your keys aren't in the Mailbox. Do you have to go with all of your carry-on to Guest Services to get your key?

How do they take your picture when boarding? Do you use your Boarding Pass through all of the check points?

What are your thoughts?

I think it's a safety issue any time you leave a room/house/or cabin key in a mailbox especially for women and children.....like a rapist or killer can't reseal a envelope.

I think it's a safety issue any time you leave a room/house/or cabin key in a mailbox especially for women and children.....like a rapist or killer can't reseal a envelope.

It has a safety seal that shows any tampering.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The goal is to make embarkation easier, from experience I'd say it is doing that. Centuries?????

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yup, metal locks and keys were used by the Romans based on 6000 year old technology from Egypt that used wooden locks and keys.

The Boston Tea Party began when a shipboard lock was broken by tax protesters that sparked a revolution.

One hotel that I know about still hands a metal key to guests as a way to make personal contact with the guest. It is the Ritz in London.

My own company is evaluating a system using mobile phones and blue tooth to allow guests to skip the check in desk and open their rooms will their phone. Other passive bio-metrics will prevent a lost phone from being used by other than the owner.

I am all for anything to speed the boarding process, but remain wary of having a card linked to an account I am responsible for hanging around a public hallway.

It's not a normal key that can be duplicated. It's a S&S card. If it's missing, go to GS and have it deactivated and it will no longer work. At home I wouldn't leave my key outside because anyone can get it, make a copy, put it back and come back later to enter my home. Anyone in the whole entire world. What we are talking about here isn't even close. It's only in the mailbox at the beginning of the cruise and as it has been repeated so many times, it is obvious when the envelope has been opened. Only people on the ship would be able to get to it and how are they supposed to make a copy without you knowing?

I will look tonight and see if I can find my envelope from Vista. It was practically destroyed when I opened it and I was being careful. It's not a typical envelope, either. There's no resealing it.

I travel by myself and have ZERO issues with this new process because there aren't any safety concerns. It's all been thought out. And when I'm in my cabin the deadbolt is locked.

My head hurts from all the paranoid people who automatically think doom and gloom. Guess there's no getting through to them no matter how many times the process is explained. It's best for them not to cruise then so they don't stress over something which is a non issue and has been in place for months, if not years including other cruise lines.

You're in luck - found it.

d8b9997c67bfdcb4e7ae2bb92d0a86c7.jpg

Edited by firemanbobswife

Interesting theory.

Could you elaborate on how the rapist or killer would then get off of the ship to avoid arrest, prosecution and a lifetime prison sentence?

Interesting theory.

Could you elaborate on how the rapist or killer would then get off of the ship to avoid arrest, prosecution and a lifetime prison sentence?

I would also like to know how many rapists or killers board a ship with the equipment to duplicate magnetic strip cards. Because, again, they would need to physically open the envelope as they are not RFID enabled. So they need to grab that to get the S&S card, take it back to their cabin where they could duplicate it, seal it back up in the envelope making it not obvious that it had been messed with, and put it back in the mailbox.

It simply isn't going to happen! This has got to be one of the craziest theories I have ever heard. I don't know whether to laugh or be concerned that people can be so paranoid and out of touch with reality. What's scarier is that these types of people actually cruise among us! LOL!

Does anyone know if this is currently on the Magic? Also, do they scan the cards at the Muster Drill for attendance? On the last Carnival cruise I took, the muster drill took forever because they hand counted everyone. When we were on RCCL, they scanned your card when you entered the Muster Drill so they knew exactly who was missing. I hope they have started to do this on Carnival. It made things so much quicker. 20 days until sailing!