Panama Canal Cruises for April 2019 and beyond

MAHA

Hi!

Does anyone know if Celebrity will be continuing Panama Canal cruises past the ones already on the schedules that go until Fall of 2018?

We really want to do the Panama Canal but will need to wait until April of 2019.

Thanks!

Mary Anne

My wife and I rented our own houseboat and did the Trent-Severn, really enjoyable, they are not hard to drive and you can go through as many locks as you like. I just thought I would throw this in as we found it to be fun and we got to be ourselves for the 8 days we had the houseboat, plus you can choose your own course !! The whole route is 240 Miles

Here is some info

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trent%E2%80%93Severn_Waterway

If you go in the fall

autumn-on-the-trent-severn-waterway-catherine-booth-smith_zpsnrefvvso.jpg

Edited by dgparent

I was told itineraries come out in March. This was when I asked on board Anthem. QUOTE=cruisestitch;52080037]You are too early .... there won't be any new itineraries released for quite a while, most probably November/December 2017 is when we will find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

2018-19 deployment has already been released. Nothing for the beginning of 2019 however Celebrity Eclipse is set up to potentially do Panama Canal in April 2019

Thanks Erik! That's what we're hoping for!

Mary Anne

My wife and I rented our own houseboat and did the Trent-Severn, really enjoyable, they are not hard to drive and you can go through as many locks as you like. I just thought I would throw this in as we found it to be fun and we got to be ourselves for the 8 days we had the houseboat, plus you can choose your own course !! The whole route is 240 Miles

Here is some info

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trent%E2%80%93Severn_Waterway

If you go in the fall

autumn-on-the-trent-severn-waterway-catherine-booth-smith_zpsnrefvvso.jpg

Looks like a great cruise. Wish we owned a houseboat!

Don't the Eclipse's lifeboats stock out too far to be able to transit the new canal? I would look for Eclipse to be doing Alaska itineraries in spring/summer 2019.

The lifeboats should not cause a problem since they are high enough off the water. It certainly looks like the Eclipse will do Alaska in the summer of '19, it leaves Valparaiso and heads to San Diego in late March.

The lifeboats should not cause a problem since they are high enough off the water. It certainly looks like the Eclipse will do Alaska in the summer of '19, it leaves Valparaiso and heads to San Diego in late March.

But this means no Panama Canal transit for her as she travels around the horn and up the Pacific coast.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

But this means no Panama Canal transit for her as she travels around the horn and up the Pacific coast.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

She arrives in San Diego on April 8th which is a bit too early for Alaska sailings but just enough time for an eastbound and westbound PC and a Coastal Cruise to begin the Alaska Season. in Mid-May which is typical

If the other Solstice sisters haven't received the modification that enables the Solstice to clear the Lions Gate Bridge, I would think that the Solstice would be the most likely candidate for a transit through new locks. That of course assumes that X is even thinking about moving their larger ships back and forth via the Canal.

Edited by BillB48

2018-19 deployment has already been released. Nothing for the beginning of 2019 however Celebrity Eclipse is set up to potentially do Panama Canal in April 2019

We loved Infinity through the canal, but would love to do an S class ship through the new locks since it exceeds the length restriction of the older locks.

• 2 weeks later...

Just had lunch with Chief Engineer, who when queried about the S class ships' ability to go through the new canal said "there are no plans at this time because the lifeboats make them too wide, and since none of us know anything about the Edge we can't say whether it will be able to transit or not"

We loved Infinity through the canal, but would love to do an S class ship through the new locks since it exceeds the length restriction of the older locks.

Appreciate these various postings on this thread. We look forward to seeing the Panama Canal "up close and personal" during our early March sailing. We will be on the Island Princess, sailing Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco. Departing Feb. 28. It will also be our first visit to Colombia, Central America, etc. We have previously done two sailings on the Celebrity Solstice and we are excited to be trying Princess for the first time.

Picked up last week from the library and am getting ready today to finish reading the David McCullough book titled "Path Between the Seas". Fascinating!!! It's really a very special history in the context of the shrinking world at that time as railroads and canal were being built, etc. And, the health and weather conditions there were really challenging. Love reading more about what an accomplishment was this project and all related historic and engineering aspects.

Below are some graphics showing the cover of this book, a picture of its author and then three different visuals from that period of the construction and its early use. Great to be learning so much more about this period of time and what it took to make it all happen.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 47,325 views for these postings.

From the Bing website's visual library, here are some pictures of the book cover, the author and three samples of the canal construction and its early use. Looking forward in early March to seeing it all "in person", "up close and personal", etc.:

DecTravel2016A%20023_zpswdxhvz5f.jpg

DecTravel2016A%20022_zps89xqitqj.jpg

DecTravel2016A%20024_zpsvyqmvyhm.jpg

DecTravel2016A%20025_zpsdemofrc1.jpg

DecTravel2016A%20026_zpsrkgbns9n.jpg